Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Henry Wyatt

Default Install Fedora 13 from Hard Drive

Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.

Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead
--
Henry E. Wyatt, Jr.
135 Main St. Apt. 604

(845)337-3421

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
JD

On 07/11/2010 12:03 PM, Henry Wyatt wrote:
> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>
> Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead
>
> --
> Henry E. Wyatt, Jr.
> 135 Main St. Apt. 604
> Poughkeepsie, N.Y. 12601-6703
> (845)337-3421
Why from hard drive?
If you have followed many other threads on this list.
All you need to do is download the 32 bit iso,
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
and burn it to dvd. If your dvd is not working or don't have one,
then install it onto a 4GB flash stick (the iso is 3.1 GB) - you do that
by first installing
livecd-tools:
sudo yum -y install livecd-tools
after that, insert your 4GB flash stick and run the command:
sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso /dev/sdX
where X is the letter corresponding to your flash stick.

Once done, reboot: either select CDROM or Flash USB stick from BIOS boot
menu.
I think on most bios'es you press F12 key to get the boot menu.

Then you simply do a fresh install.

I had tried to do "upgrade" so that I would not lose my home dir.
It did not work because you cannot upgrade F13 64 bit to F13 32 bit.
SO, back up your home dir and any "precious" files before you do this.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
JB

Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.Currently have F13 86x64
but want to install 32 bit instead-- Henry E. Wyatt, Jr.135 Main St. Apt.
604Poughkeepsie, N.Y. 12601-6703
> (845)337-3421

Hi,
Fedora site is your friend:
fedoraproject.org
then select Docs from left-side menu. then Fedora 13, then Installation Guide,
then paragraph 4.7 Preparing for a Hard Drive Installation, etc.
JB