FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
JD
 
Default F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

On 07/11/2010 09:03 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
> 12 to Fedora 13.
>
> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>
> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>
> After a while, I then get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
> disk."
>
> There's an option to choose a driver from a list. But the list as huge
> and seems to contain entries for all sorts of drivers - network cards,
> storage devices, probably others - I don't know what I should be
> choosing.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? And what I can do
> to fix it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave...

At the time you got this problem, were you fully connected to the network?
Probably not - right?
If so, I suspect it is looking for the driver to use for the network
instead of
probing for the device by itself and selecting the right driver.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Dave Cross
 
Default F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

On 11 July 2010 16:50, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> *On 07/11/2010 09:03 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
>> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
>> 12 to Fedora 13.
>>
>> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
>> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>>
>> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>>
>> After a while, I then get the message:
>>
>> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
>> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
>> disk."
>>
>> There's an option to choose a driver from a list. But the list as huge
>> and seems to contain entries for all sorts of drivers - network cards,
>> storage devices, probably others - I don't know what I should be
>> choosing.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? And what I can do
>> to fix it.
>
> At the time you got this problem, were you fully connected to the network?
> Probably not - right?

I doubt it. I guess it had rebooted into anaconda's minimal Linux
version which probably doesn't have networking support.

> If so, I suspect it is looking for the driver to use for the network
> instead of probing for the device by itself and selecting the right driver.

But I don't understand why it would need a network connection. It's
already downloaded all of the data that it needs.

Dave...
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM
JD
 
Default F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

On 07/11/2010 09:36 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
> On 11 July 2010 16:50, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2010 09:03 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
>>> 12 to Fedora 13.
>>>
>>> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
>>> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>>>
>>> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>>>
>>> After a while, I then get the message:
>>>
>>> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
>>> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
>>> disk."
>>>
>>> There's an option to choose a driver from a list. But the list as huge
>>> and seems to contain entries for all sorts of drivers - network cards,
>>> storage devices, probably others - I don't know what I should be
>>> choosing.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? And what I can do
>>> to fix it.
>> At the time you got this problem, were you fully connected to the network?
>> Probably not - right?
> I doubt it. I guess it had rebooted into anaconda's minimal Linux
> version which probably doesn't have networking support.
>
>> If so, I suspect it is looking for the driver to use for the network
>> instead of probing for the device by itself and selecting the right driver.
> But I don't understand why it would need a network connection. It's
> already downloaded all of the data that it needs.
>
> Dave...
I said 'suspect' - but am not sure.
If it is indeed looking for a network device driver,
and failing to find one, it bails out - then it is a coding error.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:03:42 +0100
Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
> 12 to Fedora 13.
>
> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>
> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>
> After a while, I then get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
> disk."
>
> There's an option to choose a driver from a list. But the list as huge
> and seems to contain entries for all sorts of drivers - network cards,
> storage devices, probably others - I don't know what I should be
> choosing.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? And what I can do
> to fix it.

Odd. What kind of free space is on /boot on your system?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade has some tips for if you are low on space.
Some older versions of preupgrade didn't notify you that there was not
quite enough space, and you needed to have a wired connection after
booting into the upgrader to finish things.

kevin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Norman Gaywood
 
Default F12 -> F13. Preupgrade Error

On 12 July 2010 02:03, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use preupgrade to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS from Fedora
> 12 to Fedora 13.
>
> It got through the bit where it downloads all of the required data
> from the internet and prompts me to reboot the PC.
>
> I reboot the PC and select "upgrade to Goddard" from the grub menu.
>
> After a while, I then get the message:
>
> "Unable to find any device of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver
> disk."

I had this a few hours ago. With me it was a problem with the
/etc/grub.conf entry created for the upgrade. There was a space
missing after the '..cfg' in the kernel line.

I booted my old kernel, inserted the space in /etc/grub.conf and
rebooted into the upgrade to Goddard. The upgrade then worked without
me doing anything else.


--
Norman Gaywood, Computer Systems Officer
University of New England, Armidale,
NSW 2351, Australia

ngaywood@une.edu.au* * * * * * Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 3337
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm* * Fax:** +61 (0)2 6773 3312

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org