Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM
JD

Default problem playing vcd/dvd

On 07/11/2010 06:45 AM, anees a a wrote:
> not able to view or copy from original vcd and dvd of films
> following errors shown for default movie player
>
> could not read from resource
>
> no uri handler implemented for vcd
>

> and for vlc following error shown
>
> file reading failed
>

> pls suggest solutions
Need more details!!!
What are you using to copy????
What is your default movie player? Totem???

Also, try to run vlc or totem from the command line and pipe the output
to a file then attach the file to yout reply:

totem 2>&1 | tee /tmp/totem.out &

Then browse with totem to open your cd or dvd player.

or if you want to use vlc, then do it in a similar way.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Gregory Hosler

On 07/11/2010 09:45 PM, anees a a wrote:
> not able to view or copy from original vcd and dvd of films
> following errors shown for default movie player

I also just came across this this past saturday, and did some regression testing
on F-12 yesterday.

Unfortunately, I have been doing the testing, and regression testing on
2 installations of F-12/F-13 on my laptop, and my battery charger died
in the middle of my testing yesterday afternoon.

There are definitely some issues w/ both dvd's and vcd's on F-13. I need
to replace my battery charger, and then continue my regression testing to
give an accurate detail of what doesn't work. From memory: dvd's on F-13
cannot open the audio device, vcd's on F-12 cannot decode the vob file. I was
also in the midst of noticing that 1) there were SOME dvd's that were ok (I have
a privately pressed dvd that played just fine), 2) SOME vcd's that were also ok,
3) most commercial dvd's/vcd's had issue.

Once I get my laptop charger replaced, and/or continue testing on another
laptop/computer, I'll gather more data points. I looked at bugzilla, and so far
have not seen any reports of this problem. Once I collect enough data to detail
the problem, a bz will be entered.

- -Greg

> could not read from resource
>
> no uri handler implemented for vcd
>

> and for vlc following error shown
>
> file reading failed

yeah, that's pretty much what I was seeing... At first I thought it was media.
The vcd's I have a my kid's collection, and they tend to be dirty/scratchy, but
upon further testing, I came to the conclusion that it is NOT a media issue.
There is a bug some place...

- -G

> pls suggest solutions

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
(from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler ghosler@redhat.com |