Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 AM
JD

Default Fedora 13 boot.iso not working with "askmethod"

On 07/10/2010 08:37 PM, H.S. wrote:
> When I boot from a USB Fedora 13 boot disk (using boot.iso from Fedora
> 13), I press TAB on the boot screen and append "askmethod" (without
> quotes) to the kernel options line and boot. But the screen ends up
> black and nothing happens.
>
> If I do not give any options, the boot proceeds and goes through the
> questions and wants me to select a physical device with the installation
> image. Basically, no problems there.
>
> If I use "asknetwork" option, the boot works and asks for network
> configuration.
>
> So, what is the deal with "askmethod"? How do I tell the installer to do
> installation from the internet?
>
> Thanks.

I thought you are supposed to type
linux /askmethod/

Old 07-11-2010, 03:34 AM
JD

On 07/10/2010 08:46 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-10 11:21 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 07/10/2010 08:37 PM, H.S. wrote:
>>> So, what is the deal with "askmethod"? How do I tell the installer to do
>>> installation from the internet?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> I thought you are supposed to type
>> linux /askmethod/
>
> You mean put "askmethod" within the two slashes?
>
> I check various options here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options
>
> and also some examples here:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s2-x86-starting-bootopts.html
>
> none showed the slashes. BTW, "asknetwork" works without slashes.
>
> Regards.

No.
The slashes were used for emphasis.
Sorry!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 AM
"H.S."

Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 AM
JD

On 07/10/2010 08:57 PM, H.S. wrote:
> I check various options here:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options
> >>
> >> and also some examples here:
> >> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s2-x86-starting-bootopts.html

Excellent. Of course, you will have to do the updates afterwards, and
that will
also take almost as long

Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 AM
"H.S."

On 10-07-10 11:34 PM, JD wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 08:46 PM, H.S. wrote:

>>> I thought you are supposed to type
>>> linux /askmethod/
>>
>> You mean put "askmethod" within the two slashes?
>>
>> I check various options here:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options
>>
>> and also some examples here:
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s2-x86-starting-bootopts.html
>>
>> none showed the slashes. BTW, "asknetwork" works without slashes.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

> No.
> The slashes were used for emphasis.
> Sorry!!!

Well, discovered a work around. I used the "asknetwork" option just to
try it out (since askmethod was not letting the system proceed to the
questions), selected dhcp auto method and in the next question screen
chose to go "Back" and lo and behold, the screen it gave me asked me to
choose the method of installation and I selected URL. I gave the URL and
the installation is now proceeding.

So it is working, but "askmethod" did not work. Is there a bug?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 AM
JD

On 07/10/2010 08:57 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-10 11:34 PM, JD wrote:

>>> You mean put "askmethod" within the two slashes?
>>>
>>> I check various options here:
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options
>>>
>>> and also some examples here:
>>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s2-x86-starting-bootopts.html
>>>
>>> none showed the slashes. BTW, "asknetwork" works without slashes.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>

>> No.
>> The slashes were used for emphasis.
>> Sorry!!!
>
> Well, discovered a work around. I used the "asknetwork" option just to
> try it out (since askmethod was not letting the system proceed to the
> questions), selected dhcp auto method and in the next question screen
> chose to go "Back" and lo and behold, the screen it gave me asked me to
> choose the method of installation and I selected URL. I gave the URL and
> the installation is now proceeding.
>
> So it is working, but "askmethod" did not work. Is there a bug?
Well, most blogs I read about askmethod, say:

"Try a network install by pressing TAB and entering "linux askmethod"
at the prompt."

Is that what you did?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 AM
JD

On 07/10/2010 09:33 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-10 11:59 PM, JD wrote:
>>> Well, discovered a work around. I used the "asknetwork" option just to
>>> try it out (since askmethod was not letting the system proceed to the
>>> questions), selected dhcp auto method and in the next question screen
>>> chose to go "Back" and lo and behold, the screen it gave me asked me to
>>> choose the method of installation and I selected URL. I gave the URL and
>>> the installation is now proceeding.
>>>
>>> So it is working, but "askmethod" did not work. Is there a bug?
>> Well, most blogs I read about askmethod, say:
>>

>> "Try a network install by pressing TAB and entering "linux askmethod"
>> at the prompt."
>>
>> Is that what you did?
>>

> No, not that exactly. I appended "askmethod" at end of the kernel line
> starting with vmlinuz that I got by pressing TAB.
>
> Do you mean that I should *erased* the whole line and typed "linux
> askmethod" and booted?

No, I just wanted to say what the blogs were saying.
Often, bloggers ommit quiet a bit when they provide some info.
Perhaps they meant exactly what you did. I do not know
because I have not done it this way.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 AM
"H.S."

Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 AM
JD

On 07/10/2010 09:33 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-10 11:59 PM, JD wrote:
>>> Well, discovered a work around. I used the "asknetwork" option just to
>>> try it out (since askmethod was not letting the system proceed to the
>>> questions), selected dhcp auto method and in the next question screen
>>> chose to go "Back" and lo and behold, the screen it gave me asked me to
>>> choose the method of installation and I selected URL. I gave the URL and
>>> the installation is now proceeding.
>>>
>>> So it is working, but "askmethod" did not work. Is there a bug?
>> Well, most blogs I read about askmethod, say:
>>

>> "Try a network install by pressing TAB and entering "linux askmethod"
>> at the prompt."
>>
>> Is that what you did?
>>

> No, not that exactly. I appended "askmethod" at end of the kernel line
> starting with vmlinuz that I got by pressing TAB.
>
> Do you mean that I should *erased* the whole line and typed "linux
> askmethod" and booted?

I just tested the askmethod after I burned the boot.iso
to a 1GB flash stick, and booted it with Virtualbox.
At the menu to install/upgrade/boot from local disk.....etc etc..
I pressed Tab key and it immediately showed the vmlinux boot line args
to which I appended askmethod (of course after a space separator).
And it worked exactly as advertised. It asked me for the URL
of the installation image.
So I have no idea why you should have had any problems.