FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 AM
"H.S."
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

I want to install Fedora 13 on a computer which is currently running
Debian (going to make it multiboot). I have downloaded boot.iso from
Fedora 13 tree
(http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso)
and also Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso
(http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso)

I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso of=/dev/sdd

and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does not
detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does boot from
a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.

I then tried copying the contents of the iso image to a newly formatted
ext3 filesystem on the USB stick:
- using fdisk, created a new ext3 partition in the USB.
- sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdd1
- sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /tmp/fedora
- sudo mount -o loop boot.iso /tmp/img/
- sudo cp -a /tmp/img/* /tmp/fedora/

No luck, the computer still did not detect the USB as a bootable device
and booted from the hard disk.

In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.

I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
with that, no luck there either.

What I am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
JD
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On 07/10/2010 07:15 PM, H.S. wrote:
> I want to install Fedora 13 on a computer which is currently running
> Debian (going to make it multiboot). I have downloaded boot.iso from
> Fedora 13 tree
> (http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso)
> and also Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso
> (http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso)
>
> I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
> sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso of=/dev/sdd
>
> and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does not
> detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does boot from
> a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.
>
> I then tried copying the contents of the iso image to a newly formatted
> ext3 filesystem on the USB stick:
> - using fdisk, created a new ext3 partition in the USB.
> - sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdd1
> - sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /tmp/fedora
> - sudo mount -o loop boot.iso /tmp/img/
> - sudo cp -a /tmp/img/* /tmp/fedora/
>
> No luck, the computer still did not detect the USB as a bootable device
> and booted from the hard disk.
>
> In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.
>
> I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
> with that, no luck there either.
>
> What I am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks.
R U sure the iso is meant for an ext3 FS and not for a vfat FS?
I have installed the boot.iso on a 1GB flash, using:
sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso /dev/sde
and I was able to boot it in VirtualBox.

Of course you need to install livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.i686.rpm
in order to livecd-iso-to-disk

Have fun.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 AM
"H.S."
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On 10/07/10 10:37 PM, JD wrote:
> R U sure the iso is meant for an ext3 FS and not for a vfat FS?

How does it matter? I mounted the iso as a loop device, mounted the USB
stick, and copied over the files. While copying, it should not matter
what file systems at both ends are, does it?


> I have installed the boot.iso on a 1GB flash, using:
> sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso /dev/sde
> and I was able to boot it in VirtualBox.
>
> Of course you need to install livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.i686.rpm
> in order to livecd-iso-to-disk

That is, apparently, the crux of the problem. I am using Debian using
Debian sources (repos) and I do not have this package available to me.
In any case, it sort of beats the purpose since this requires Fedora
already installed to install Fedora

The sensible way, IMHO, is to have a method that work in a Linux based
system of any flavor. Using dd is the way to do, but I am missing
something here since it is not working for me.



--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:15:04 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
> sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso of=/dev/sdd
>
> and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does
> not detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does
> boot from a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.

...snip...

> In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.
>
> I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
> with that, no luck there either.
>
> What I am I doing wrong here?

I would expect the dd to work fine. Does your bios have a choice of
booting from usb-cdrom and usb-hd? Have you tried both settings?

Failing that, how about a medialess install?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#ap-medialess-install

Or a boot.fedoraproject.org install?
see: http://boot.fedoraproject.org/download

kevin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:57 AM
JD
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On 07/10/2010 07:43 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10/07/10 10:37 PM, JD wrote:
>> R U sure the iso is meant for an ext3 FS and not for a vfat FS?
> How does it matter? I mounted the iso as a loop device, mounted the USB
> stick, and copied over the files. While copying, it should not matter
> what file systems at both ends are, does it?
>
>
>> I have installed the boot.iso on a 1GB flash, using:
>> sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso /dev/sde
>> and I was able to boot it in VirtualBox.
>>
>> Of course you need to install livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.i686.rpm
>> in order to livecd-iso-to-disk
> That is, apparently, the crux of the problem. I am using Debian using
> Debian sources (repos) and I do not have this package available to me.
> In any case, it sort of beats the purpose since this requires Fedora
> already installed to install Fedora
>
> The sensible way, IMHO, is to have a method that work in a Linux based
> system of any flavor. Using dd is the way to do, but I am missing
> something here since it is not working for me.
>
>
>
For Debian:
1- sudo apt-get install mtd-utils

(On some older Debian/Ubuntu builds, you may need to install
mtd-tools instead.)

crcimg is not packaged for Debian so you'll have to build it:

cd /tmp
wget -c -ndH
http://dev.laptop.org/~mstone/releases/SOURCES/crcimg-1.1.tar.bz2
<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Emstone/releases/SOURCES/crcimg-1.1.tar.bz2>
tar xvf crcimg-1.1.tar.bz2
sudo make -f Makefile.build install


2- wget -c -ndH
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh

3- sudo mv livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
<http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh>
/usr/bin

4- sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso
/dev/sde

Assuming of course, your usb stick is /dev/sde

Be happy.
Have fun.




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 AM
"H.S."
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On 10/07/10 10:50 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> I would expect the dd to work fine. Does your bios have a choice of
> booting from usb-cdrom and usb-hd? Have you tried both settings?

Just yesterday I installed Debian from its netinstall image. I just
dd'ed it my USB stick and then booted the computer with the USB stick
plugged in. The computer picked the OS (but there was no other OS on the
computer's hard disk at them, of course). I am expecting the same thing
to happen now as well. In fact, it does, since if I use the Debian USB
stick, I get the computer to boot from that (a "removabel device" is the
first boot device), so the problem lies with the Fedora USB stick somewhere.


>
> Failing that, how about a medialess install?
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#ap-medialess-install
>
> Or a boot.fedoraproject.org install?
> see: http://boot.fedoraproject.org/download

I have an install from an ISO image saved on the hard disk and using
vmlinux kernel in the past. I have also upgraded Fedora over the
internet in the past. I wanted to try the USB netinstall option now.


--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 AM
"H.S."
 
Default cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

On 10-07-10 11:00 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10/07/10 10:50 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> I would expect the dd to work fine. Does your bios have a choice of
>> booting from usb-cdrom and usb-hd? Have you tried both settings?
>
> Just yesterday I installed Debian from its netinstall image. I just
> dd'ed it my USB stick and then booted the computer with the USB stick
> plugged in. The computer picked the OS (but there was no other OS on the
> computer's hard disk at them, of course). I am expecting the same thing
> to happen now as well. In fact, it does, since if I use the Debian USB
> stick, I get the computer to boot from that (a "removabel device" is the
> first boot device), so the problem lies with the Fedora USB stick somewhere.
>


I downloaded Fedora 13's Live iso image and burned it on another USB
stick. That also failed to boot my computer (or my computer did not see
it). I then tried that USB stick on another computer, but that computer
booted off the stick as expected! So it my own computer that was at
fault (at least in Live USB stick's case). My computer has a brand new
motherboard and as I wrote above, booting from a USB stick worked when
the hard drive was virgin. It turns out that when there is an OS I have
to boot from a Boot Menu during the boot process. Choosing that menu
gave me the options to boot from, I selected USB and got Fedora's boot
menu from Live image.

Next, I tried with boot.iso and that worked too!

In other words, just fixing the boot order in BIOS of my mobo with the
removable device as the first option doesn't work, I must choose the USB
device from a Boot Menu (have to press F8 during boot).

So it was my fault in the sense that I wasn't aware of how my new
motherboard worked. Sorry for all the noise.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org