Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Emilio Fernandes

Default /sbin/init Initrd

Hi all,

where can i get the source code of /sbin/initrd from fedora 11?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Chris Tyler

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 10:43 -0300, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> where can i get the source code of /sbin/initrd from fedora 11?

Assuming you're on the system for which you want the source, the RPM
command will tell you which package a file came from (this example is
executed on F13):

$ rpm -qf /sbin/init
upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.i686

If you add -i you can see some basic information, including the URL of
the upstream site and the license:

$ rpm -qif /sbin/init
Name : upstart Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version : 0.6.5 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 5.fc13 Build Date: Tue 04 May 2010
04:31:02 PM EDT
Install Date: Sat 03 Jul 2010 11:13:34 PM EDT Build Host:
x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group : System Environment/Base Source RPM:
upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.src.rpm
Size : 512748 License: GPLv2 and LGPLv2
+
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Wed 05 May 2010 02:23:59 AM EDT, Key ID
7edc6ad6e8e40fde
Packager : Fedora Project
Description :
Upstart is an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon which
handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them
during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running.

You can use yumdownloader (from the yum-utils package) to grab the
source RPM for a package:

$ yumdownloader --source upstart

This grabs the source RPM (e.g., for F13: upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.src.rpm).

To work with source RPMS, it's recommended that you install rpmdevtools
and run "rpmdev-setuptree". You can then install (using your regular
account, not root) the source rpm:

$ rpm -i upstart*src.rpm

The files will install into ~/rpmbuild -- look in the SOURCES directory
for the source code and the ~/SPECS directory for the spec file
(packaging).

Hope this helps--

-Chris

Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Emilio Fernandes

Ty foi reply,

but i need the source code of /sbin/init of initrd.img.
Becase on fedora 8 it is a binary instead of fedora 13 is a shell script.
when i unpack the initrd.img from fedora 8 CD, i cant modify the init script.

And now i need to modify this binary to create custom rules on init.
I having problems becase when i boot the fedora 8 on a intel i3 with a sata Cdrom
he can't find the cdrom:/ks8.cfg, the only message of error is:

Cannot find CDROM.
I belive its a kernel issue, and now i add a new kernel to initrd and need to customize
some rules on /sbin/init binary of fedora 8 initrd.img.

Sorry my poor english..

2010/7/10 Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info>

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 10:43 -0300, Emilio Fernandes wrote:

> Hi all,

> where can i get the source code of /sbin/initrd from fedora 11?

Assuming you're on the system for which you want the source, the RPM

command will tell you which package a file came from (this example is

executed on F13):

$ rpm -qf /sbin/init

upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.i686

If you add -i you can see some basic information, including the URL of

the upstream site and the license:

$ rpm -qif /sbin/init

Name * * * *: upstart * * * * * * * * * * *Relocations: (not

relocatable)

Version * * : 0.6.5 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Vendor: Fedora Project

Release * * : 5.fc13 * * * * * * * * * * * *Build Date: Tue 04 May 2010

04:31:02 PM EDT

Install Date: Sat 03 Jul 2010 11:13:34 PM EDT * * *Build Host:

x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Group * * * : System Environment/Base * * * Source RPM:

upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.src.rpm

Size * * * *: 512748 * * * * * * * * * * * * * License: GPLv2 and LGPLv2

+

Signature * : RSA/SHA256, Wed 05 May 2010 02:23:59 AM EDT, Key ID

7edc6ad6e8e40fde

Packager * *: Fedora Project

URL * * * * : http://upstart.ubuntu.com

Summary * * : An event-driven init system

[...]

Emilio Seidel Fernandes
Tec. Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Distribuídos - UTFPR Curitiba

Old 07-10-2010, 04:13 PM
JD

On 07/10/2010 06:43 AM, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> where can i get the source code of /sbin/initrd from fedora 11?

I am on F13, but the command should be the same in F11.
On F13, there is not /sbin/initrd, but I will use /sbin/init as an example:

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/init
upstart-0.6.5-5.fc13.i686

Now, if you want the source, go either to:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/11/Everything/source/SRPMS/

or

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/11/SRPMS/

and you will find the name of the package there

JD

Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Emilio Fernandes

Ty for reply,

but i dont need the system /sbin/init
i need the source code of /sbin/init from initrd.img
if you unpack the initrd.img from Fedora 8 CD-ROM
you will find a binary called init, what is a sym link from /sbin/init

from initrd.img.

but i already find what i need
on fedora 8 anaconda installer create this init from your compilation,
and when you install anaconda on the CD he copy you initrd to /cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img

so now i can do what i want.

But ty all for reply!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM
JD

On 07/10/2010 09:32 AM, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Ty for reply,
>
> but i dont need the system /sbin/init
> i need the source code of /sbin/init from initrd.img
> if you unpack the initrd.img from Fedora 8 CD-ROM
> you will find a binary called init, what is a sym link from /sbin/init
> from initrd.img.
>
> but i already find what i need
> on fedora 8 anaconda installer create this init from your compilation,
> and when you install anaconda on the CD he copy you initrd to
> /cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img
> so now i can do what i want.
>
> But ty all for reply!

The problem is in your wording of your question.
Given you do not have a good command of the English language,
everyone, including myself, assumed you wanted the C source code
of the package that provides /sbin/initrd.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
jackson byers

> Ty for reply,

> but i dont need the system /sbin/init
> i need the source code of /sbin/init from initrd.img
> if you unpack the initrd.img from Fedora 8 CD-ROM
> you will find a binary called init, what is a sym link from /sbin/init
> from initrd.img.

> but i already find what i need
> on fedora 8 anaconda installer create this init from your compilation,
> and when you install anaconda on the CD he copy you initrd to /cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img
> so now i can do what i want.

It sounds like you might have solved your problem.
If not, the following might help.

Your English is causing me some trouble in understanding what you want to do.

I _think_ you might be trying to modify the init file which is
embedded inside the initrd.gz.
This file is not a "binary" but is an "executable script".

You need to do a 3 step process
1) unpack the initrd.gz
2) edit the init file
3) repack with the modified init file

Following is from some old notes from a long time ago:

I have used (not recently) this prescription and it works.

8. Modifying an Existing Initial Ram Disk
8.1 Introduction
This section
briefly describes how an initrd_usb.gz file may be unscrambled, modified and
put back together again.

8.2 Detailed Instructions

8.2.1 Unpacking
cd go to root's home dir
mkdir clean; cd clean make and go somewhere clean
cp /boot/initrd_usb.gz . cp initrd_usb.gz to clean dir
gunzip -c initrd_usb.gz | cpio -i gunzip and expand

This unpacks a complete directory structure
- the vital file is init, edit as required.

8.2.2 Repacking

Remember to move the original file first or it will be incorporated
in the new initrd image!!

mv initrd_usb.gz ~
find . | cpio -c -o | gzip -9 > ~/initrd_usb_modified.gz
The file can then be relocated to /boot and grub.conf modified to match.

I hope this helps

Jack

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 07/10/2010 11:03 AM, Emilio Fernandes wrote:
> Ty foi reply,
>
> but i need the source code of /sbin/init of initrd.img.

So, execute the commands that Chris typed on *your* machine and get
*your* information:

rpm -qif /sbin/init

Read the output and determine the *NAME* of the source RPM it was built
from. Then find/download *that* .src.rpm. www.pbone.net can be your
friend.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 07-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Emilio Fernandes

Ty for reply Jackson,

but try to unpack the initrd.img what in embedded inside fedora 8 CDROM,
it's a binary...