FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
"Erik P. Olsen"
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On 08/07/10 16:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
> I can tag Thunderbird received messages with color but what I
> really need is to tag them with a sound. I would like to play a
> unique sound as the output of an e-mail filter.
>
> I can hear the incoming mail tone from other parts of the house
> but I would like to know when the message goes into one of the
> filter directories I've created, else if I am waiting for a
> response I have to keep coming back to the computer to see if it
> signals the awaited message.
>
> Is there a way I can do that?
>
> Bob
>
> --
>
Have you searched thunderbird add-ons for sound? I think you may find there what
you are looking for.

--
Erik
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On 09/07/10 07:50, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 08/07/10 16:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I can tag Thunderbird received messages with color but what I
>> really need is to tag them with a sound. I would like to play a
>> unique sound as the output of an e-mail filter.
>>
>> I can hear the incoming mail tone from other parts of the house
>> but I would like to know when the message goes into one of the
>> filter directories I've created, else if I am waiting for a
>> response I have to keep coming back to the computer to see if it
>> signals the awaited message.
>>
>> Is there a way I can do that?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> --
>>
>>
> Have you searched thunderbird add-ons for sound? I think you may find there what
> you are looking for.
>
>

No, it never occurred to me to search "sounds" to find an e-mail
notification program but when I did I found "SoundPlus." I spent
several hours fiddling with that. It had some of the problems Tim
predicted plus others previously unimagined! The worst of which was
that the configuration seemed constantly changing and the many tones
became meaningless?

SoundPlus works on the address book files, not the mail filters as I
had expected. Mail filtering always works for me. It will even tag
certain messages by listing them in color, a feature I neither need
nor want. But if instead of color it would play a unique sound I
would have what I was looking for. That seems clear and simple to me
but I don't write code and must admit my ignorance in that area.

Well, it's not a necessity, I can do without it, just thought there
might be something out there that I missed. It's definitely not the
add-on program I tried and uninstalled.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
g
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
<snip>

> Well, it's not a necessity, I can do without it, just thought there
> might be something out there that I missed.

hello bob,

lets see. what is name of that site where you can find things?

oh, yeah, google.

where entering;

thunderbird add-on "play-sound"

yields 100 hits;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=thunderbird+add-on&as_epq=play-sound&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i& as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&c r=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3D linux=

and #2 is;

http://www.downv.com/Linux/download-NewMail-Execute-10052894.htm

[ disregard fifth hit. ]


while at authors site;

http://mozext.achimonline.de/

there is a link to;

http://mozext.achimonline.de/newmailexecute_about.php

which states;

This extension observes your mail-folders and and runs an executable
of your choice whenever new messages arrive.


so, if you want to give it a try, you will have to install it yourself.

much luck.


hth.



--

peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On 10/07/10 15:02, g wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> <snip>
>
>
>> Well, it's not a necessity, I can do without it, just thought there
>> might be something out there that I missed.
>>
> hello bob,
>
> lets see. what is name of that site where you can find things?
>
> oh, yeah, google.
>
> where entering;
>
> thunderbird add-on "play-sound"
>
> yields 100 hits;
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=thunderbird+add-on&as_epq=play-sound&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i& as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&c r=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3D linux=
>
> and #2 is;
>
> http://www.downv.com/Linux/download-NewMail-Execute-10052894.htm
>
> [ disregard fifth hit. ]
>
>
> while at authors site;
>
> http://mozext.achimonline.de/
>
> there is a link to;
>
> http://mozext.achimonline.de/newmailexecute_about.php
>
> which states;
>
> This extension observes your mail-folders and and runs an executable
> of your choice whenever new messages arrive.
>
>
> so, if you want to give it a try, you will have to install it yourself.
>
> much luck.
>
>
> hth.
>

Yes, you dug it up, the least I can do is give it a shot!

I can probably keep busy for a while fooling with that one. I'll let
you know what happens.

Thanks.

Bob


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
g
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
<snip>

> Yes, you dug it up, the least I can do is give it a shot!

from what i read on authors site, it should give you what you want.

> I can probably keep busy for a while fooling with that one.

if not, there are several more in google link that can pass you idle time.

> I'll let you know what happens.

looking forward to it.

again, much luck.


btw,
should none do what you want, you could write a cron script to periodically
check folder/folders size.

using 'ls' then awk to extract size to a &env, do a compare to current and
play what ever to notify.


--

peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On 10/07/10 18:40, g wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> <snip>
>
>
>> Yes, you dug it up, the least I can do is give it a shot!
>>
> from what i read on authors site, it should give you what you want.
>
>
>> I can probably keep busy for a while fooling with that one.
>>
> if not, there are several more in google link that can pass you idle time.
>
>
>> I'll let you know what happens.
>>
> looking forward to it.
>
> again, much luck.
>
>
> btw,
> should none do what you want, you could write a cron script to periodically
> check folder/folders size.
>
> using 'ls' then awk to extract size to a&env, do a compare to current and
> play what ever to notify.
>
>
>

Not sure I understand the logic there. Folder gets bigger so it must
contain new messages, I guess?

My problem is that I filter e-mail messages into at least ten
different directories. One is for Verizon Text messages, 95% of
those are from my daughter and son-in-law during the daytime and
often require immediate attention so an audio alert for stuff
arriving in that directory would be nice. Of course they can always
call my cell phone but it has a feeble little ring that I may not
hear if I don't have my hearing aids in!

That would be in addition to the Thunderbird sound [aplay
/usr/share/sounds/purple/alert.wav]
already produced whenever messages are downloaded.

I wasn't able to work with the computer today, tomorrow should be
better, just a lot going on here today.

Bob


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 AM
g
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
<snip>

>> using 'ls' then awk to extract size to a&env, do a compare to current
>> and play what ever to notify.

above should have been 'a $env', an 'env' string. that is, you would
use script to set 2 'env' strings, ie, '$old-size' and '$new-size'.
then in script, 'awk' would set value of '$new-size' and compare to
'$old-size'. if larger, play sound. at end, set '$old-size' to
'$new-size'.

it has been too long from last time using awk in scripts that it would
be better if someone else gave you an example. if none do, i will try,
then others can correct my errors.


> Not sure I understand the logic there. Folder gets bigger so it must
> contain new messages, I guess?

true. cron could be set to run at an interval equivalent to interval of
mail check.


> My problem is that I filter e-mail messages into at least ten
> different directories. One is for Verizon Text messages, 95% of
> those are from my daughter and son-in-law during the daytime and
<snip>

if you use thunderbird to filter email from daughter and son, or who
ever else you wanted an alert for, to their own folder, you could run
cron ls/awk script on those folder files to check size increase.

or you can use a prefilter to watch 'from:' in emails and let it run
a script to play sound to notify.


i tend to be terse, so i hope i have not confused you more.


--

peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Steven Susbauer
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On Jul 10, 2010, at 8:33 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> My problem is that I filter e-mail messages into at least ten
> different directories. One is for Verizon Text messages, 95% of
> those are from my daughter and son-in-law during the daytime and
> often require immediate attention so an audio alert for stuff
> arriving in that directory would be nice. Of course they can always
> call my cell phone but it has a feeble little ring that I may not
> hear if I don't have my hearing aids in!
>
> That would be in addition to the Thunderbird sound [aplay
> /usr/share/sounds/purple/alert.wav]
> already produced whenever messages are downloaded.
>
> I wasn't able to work with the computer today, tomorrow should be
> better, just a lot going on here today.
>
> Bob

Bob,

I don't know if you have found an extension that would work for you. However, a quick search gave me ToneQuilla (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/9956/) which adds the option to play a sound to the filter actions menu.

There are other ones that do similar based on folders and such, but that was the only one I saw in my admittedly short search that did it straight from the filtering options and not some external preference pane.

Hope that helps,
Steve
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Bob Goodwin
 
Default Thunderbird sounds -

On 11/07/10 11:45, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2010, at 8:33 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>
>> My problem is that I filter e-mail messages into at least ten
>> different directories. One is for Verizon Text messages, 95% of
>> those are from my daughter and son-in-law during the daytime and
>> often require immediate attention so an audio alert for stuff
>> arriving in that directory would be nice. Of course they can always
>> call my cell phone but it has a feeble little ring that I may not
>> hear if I don't have my hearing aids in!
>>
>> That would be in addition to the Thunderbird sound [aplay
>> /usr/share/sounds/purple/alert.wav] already produced when messages are downloaded.
>>

> Bob,
>
> I don't know if you have found an extension that would work for you. However, a quick search gave me ToneQuilla (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/9956/) which adds the option to play a sound to the filter actions menu.
>
> There are other ones that do similar based on folders and such, but that was the only one I saw in my admittedly short search that did it straight from the filtering options and not some external preference pane.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Steve
>

Yes, that seems to do exactly what I asked for.

It permits me to record an announcement with audacity, export it as
a .wav, and configure the e-mail filter such that it plays it back
when I receive a message in my text message directory. With the
volume turned up, should I be waiting for a response to one of my
messages, I would hear it outside my window if needed.

Thanks for the help.

Bob


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org