Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
JD

Default Problem with tarring out a tar file

Hi,
I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
No problems.
The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
and directory names, like
Barrè
Mächter
among others.

So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar

For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
<.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.

Any clues why this is happening?

Thanx,

JD

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:35:48 -0700
JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
> No problems.
> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
> and directory names, like
> Barrè
> Mächter
> among others.
>
> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>
> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
> <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
>
> Any clues why this is happening?

What filesystem type is the directory you are untarring it on?

Is it by change a fat/vfat or the like? It may well not be able to
handle utf8 encoded filenames.

kevin

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
jack craig

On 07/08/2010 03:35 PM, JD wrote:
> Hi,
> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
> No problems.
> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
> and directory names, like
> Barrè
> Mächter
> among others.
>
> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>
> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
> <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
>
> Any clues why this is happening?
>
> Thanx,
>
> JD

what does

$tar tvf my-tar-ball.tar

say??

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
JD

On 07/08/2010 03:56 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:35:48 -0700
> JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
>> No problems.
>> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
>> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
>> and directory names, like
>> Barrè
>> Mächter
>> among others.
>>
>> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
>> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
>> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
>> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>
>> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
>> <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
>>
>> Any clues why this is happening?
> What filesystem type is the directory you are untarring it on?
>
> Is it by change a fat/vfat or the like? It may well not be able to
> handle utf8 encoded filenames.
>
> kevin
The partition I am untarring into is an ext4 partition.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
JD

On 07/08/2010 04:13 PM, jack craig wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 03:35 PM, JD wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
>> No problems.
>> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
>> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
>> and directory names, like
>> Barrè
>> Mächter
>> among others.
>>
>> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
>> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
>> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
>> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>
>> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
>> <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
>>
>> Any clues why this is happening?
>>
>> Thanx,
>>
>> JD
>>

> what does
>
> $tar tvf my-tar-ball.tar
>
> say??

It displays all the long dir and file names.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Les

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:13 -0700, jack craig wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 03:35 PM, JD wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
> > No problems.
> > The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
> > they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
> > and directory names, like
> > Barrè
> > Mächter
> > among others.
> >
> > So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
> > Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
> > I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
> > tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
> >
> > For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
> > <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
> >
> > Any clues why this is happening?
> >
> > Thanx,
> >
> > JD
> >

> what does
>
> $tar tvf my-tar-ball.tar
>
> say

You might also check the file system type you moved it to. If you moved
it to a FAT16 or FAT32 volume, you might not have gotten all the file as
FAT16 has a 2G file size limitation. Don't know FAT32 restriction, but
I suspect it is larger, but still might not hold your tar-ball.

Regards,
Les H

Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 AM
JD

On 07/08/2010 05:25 PM, Les wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:13 -0700, jack craig wrote:
>> On 07/08/2010 03:35 PM, JD wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I had downloaded a zip file under windows and unzipped it.
>>> No problems.
>>> The file names in the zipped archive are long german names, so
>>> they are displayed with special chars embedded in the file names
>>> and directory names, like
>>> Barrè
>>> Mächter
>>> among others.
>>>
>>> So I tarred out the whole directory into a tar file.
>>> Later I moved that tar file to another mounted partition.
>>> I cd'ed to the mounted partition and tried to untar it:
>>> tar xpvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>>
>>> For every file in the tarball, tar outputs the message
>>> <.....long.......file........name>: No such file or directory.
>>>
>>> Any clues why this is happening?
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>>
>>> JD
>>>

>> what does
>>
>> $tar tvf my-tar-ball.tar
>>
>> say
> You might also check the file system type you moved it to. If you moved
> it to a FAT16 or FAT32 volume, you might not have gotten all the file as
> FAT16 has a 2G file size limitation. Don't know FAT32 restriction, but
> I suspect it is larger, but still might not hold your tar-ball.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

The files themselves are only a few (2 to 8) megabytes each.
So I do not believe it is the file size.
Perhaps there are some unprintable characters in the file
names or directory names that is preventing tar from creating
such files or directories.
At any rate - thanx to all who replied.
I will leave it on the windows ntfs partition.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 08Jul2010 17:39, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
| The files themselves are only a few (2 to 8) megabytes each.
| So I do not believe it is the file size.
| Perhaps there are some unprintable characters in the file
| names or directory names that is preventing tar from creating
| such files or directories.

Shouldn't be - UNIX forbids only / and '' (NUL).

| At any rate - thanx to all who replied.
| I will leave it on the windows ntfs partition.

You could strace the unpack:

strace -e trace=file tar xvf yourtarfile 2>strace.out

and then examine the open and mkdir calls in the "strace.out" file.
It will at least show you _exactly_ what tar is trying to do.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the
human spirit. - Stephen Hawking