Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Default Fedora 13 - Shutdown works, but Restart Freezes??

I installed Fedora 13 on a Gateway E2000 and have found that restart/reboot
freezes, but a shutdown does a full power down correctly.

By default goes to the graphical screen, the same for both, but with
shutdown, it says shutting down and then powers off. The restart shows the
restarting message, but then stops responding. No keyboard lights change,
no CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing. Only a forced power off gets the machine going.

Tried it from a terminal window same results.
Tried reboot -f same results.
Even loaded busybox and used busybox reboot -f

Don't see anything in the log files...

It doesn't come up with an error on the reboot, so it seems to be shutting
down correctly, but just not doing the final reboot process.

Thanks.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 9763292.210122 | EINSTEIN 4142549.740851
ROSETTA 2027290.462519 | ABC 1443090.360569

Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:02:51 -0700
"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@kuentos.guam.net> wrote:

> I installed Fedora 13 on a Gateway E2000 and have found that
> restart/reboot freezes, but a shutdown does a full power down
> correctly.
>
> By default goes to the graphical screen, the same for both, but with
> shutdown, it says shutting down and then powers off. The restart
> shows the restarting message, but then stops responding. No keyboard
> lights change, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing. Only a forced power off gets
> the machine going.
>
> Tried it from a terminal window same results.
> Tried reboot -f same results.
> Even loaded busybox and used busybox reboot -f
>
> Don't see anything in the log files...
>
> It doesn't come up with an error on the reboot, so it seems to be
> shutting down correctly, but just not doing the final reboot process.

Try the suggestions at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#System_hangs_on_reboot

kevin

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 PM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

> > I installed Fedora 13 on a Gateway E2000 and have found that
> > restart/reboot freezes, but a shutdown does a full power down
> > correctly.
> >
> > By default goes to the graphical screen, the same for both, but with
> > shutdown, it says shutting down and then powers off. The restart
> > shows the restarting message, but then stops responding. No keyboard
> > lights change, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing. Only a forced power off gets
> > the machine going.
> >
> > Tried it from a terminal window same results.
> > Tried reboot -f same results.
> > Even loaded busybox and used busybox reboot -f
> >
> > Don't see anything in the log files...
> >
> > It doesn't come up with an error on the reboot, so it seems to be
> > shutting down correctly, but just not doing the final reboot process.
>
> Try the suggestions at:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#System_hangs_on_reboot

The reboot=b seems to fix the problem, but the reboot option seems to work
just fine with all the kernels I've built for my g4l project from kernel.org on the
same machine, so why does the Fedora kernel do this?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:09:38 -0700
"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes@kuentos.guam.net> wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2010 at 15:18, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > Try the suggestions at:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#System_hangs_on_reboot
>
> The reboot=b seems to fix the problem, but the reboot option seems to
> work just fine with all the kernels I've built for my g4l project
> from kernel.org on the same machine, so why does the Fedora kernel do
> this?

I would guess either:

a) a patch in the Fedora kernel is behaving oddly with your hardware.

and/or

b) a config option is different. You can look at the fedora config
in /boot/config*

PS: No need to reply direct to me on mailing list posts, I'm subscribed
to the list too.

kevin