Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
William Case

Default Gnome Menu curosity question ?!?

Hi;

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 17:51 +0000, JB wrote:
> William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> Hi,
> yes, I agree with you.
> The proper menu organization should be with the topmost specifier "system"
> including all system-related menus/items.
> It is proper to reorganize the System as well and place most used items at
> the top.
> The new menu would be:
> System -> Tools /* old Applications -> System Tools */
> -> Administration
> -> Preferences
> -> etc
> I would suggest that you let GNOME developers know of our proposal if it is
> acceptable to the majority of opinions here.
> JB

Therein, of course, lies the problem. I have reorganized so that System
Tools contains all user system stuff that doesn't require root
privileges. And I have put all Administration programs that require
root login/password in System => Administration. At least that gives me
a sense of which changes are dangerous.

But the present set up is just hard to remember and makes no sense.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 13, Gnome 2.30.2

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
"Roger K. Wells"

On 07/08/2010 01:51 PM, JB wrote:
> William Case<billlinux<at> rogers.com> writes:

> Hi,
> yes, I agree with you.
> The proper menu organization should be with the topmost specifier "system"
> including all system-related menus/items.
> It is proper to reorganize the System as well and place most used items at
> the top.
> The new menu would be:
> System -> Tools /* old Applications -> System Tools */
> -> Administration
> -> Preferences
> -> etc
> I would suggest that you let GNOME developers know of our proposal if it is
> acceptable to the majority of opinions here.
> JB

I agree and this works for me as well.
roger wells

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
JB

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> Therein, of course, lies the problem. I have reorganized so that System
> Tools contains all user system stuff that doesn't require root
> privileges. And I have put all Administration programs that require
> root login/password in System => Administration. At least that gives me
> a sense of which changes are dangerous.
>
> But the present set up is just hard to remember and makes no sense.

The next level of reorganization (inside Tools and Administration) may not
be practical according to root sign-in requirements.
Example:
I have in Tools two items that require root previleges
Fedora LiveUSB Creator
SELinux Policy Generation Tool
Note that they are clearly "tools" (the second one named so explicitly).
If you move them to Administration, you break the distinction between
Tools and Administration.
Btw, almost all Administration items right now require root and so there is
no need to move them around.
I think we should stick with the top reorganization for now only to make it
acceptable to GNOME devs and users at large.
JB

Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> On the Gnome Menu, what is the difference between 'Applications =>
> System Tools' and 'Preferences => Administration'? There seems to be
> no rhyme or reason why some applications are placed in one category
> rather than another.

Yes, it does seem to be a mess. Logically, you'd expect the tools menu
items to give you programs that let you do something related to the
system, but don't actually change any settings (e.g. gather system
information, browse the drives, view logs). And the preferences menu
items to do with changing settings that will affect the system, and all
users.

Back on Fedora 9, I can see at least one thing in applications/systems
that ought to be in your personal preferences, the gconf-editor
shortcut. When you use it, you only get to tweak settings related to
your own logon account, not the whole system.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.