Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Converting DVD copy to AVI

I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
(e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.

poc

Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

> I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
> like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
> rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
> transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
> (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
> script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
> insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
>
> poc

you can try something like:

ffmpeg -i VTS_01_1.vob -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -b 800 -g 300 -bf 2 -acodec
mp3 -ab 128 VTS_01_1.avi

you need to active RPMFusion repo and install ffmpeg.

HTH
--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
jack craig

> I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
> like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
> rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
> transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
> (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
> script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
> insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
>
> poc

you might look at mencoder, it takes .mov, it might take the dvd format too.

eg, ...

mencoder mvi_0120.mov -o mvi_0120.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 18:42 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:21 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
> > like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
> > rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
> > transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
> > (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
> > script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
> > insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
> >
> > poc
> >

> you can try something like:
>
> ffmpeg -i VTS_01_1.vob -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -b 800 -g 300 -bf 2 -acodec
> mp3 -ab 128 VTS_01_1.avi

Thanks, but as I said I know I can convert individual VOB files. The
issue is mainly in knowing which files to convert as many of them are
not part of the movie. This information is encoded in the DVD structure
but it's a pain to decode manually.

poc

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 11:02 -0700, jack craig wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 10:21 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
> > like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
> > rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
> > transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
> > (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
> > script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
> > insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
> >
> > poc
> >

> you might look at mencoder, it takes .mov, it might take the dvd format too.

Good idea. The manpage says it can read DVD structures, VOB files etc.
Guess I'll have to invest some time in understanding the gazillion
options.

poc

Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 18:42 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
>> On 07/08/2010 06:21 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
>>> like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
>>> rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
>>> transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
>>> (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
>>> script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
>>> insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> you can try something like:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i VTS_01_1.vob -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -b 800 -g 300 -bf 2 -acodec
>> mp3 -ab 128 VTS_01_1.avi
>
> Thanks, but as I said I know I can convert individual VOB files. The
> issue is mainly in knowing which files to convert as many of them are
> not part of the movie. This information is encoded in the DVD structure
> but it's a pain to decode manually.
>
> poc

Try Mencoder (MPlayer)

mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate="1200" -oac
mp3lame -lameopts br=128 -o dvd.avi

You can see the man page for more options like zooming, scaling and
subtitle stuffs.

man mencoder

There's also GUI frontends:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#mencoder_frontends

HTH
--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
jack craig

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 11:02 -0700, jack craig wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2010 10:21 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> I have a DVD structure (VIDEO_TS etc. etc.) on my hard disk and would
>>> like to convert the main feature to an AVI file, i.e. basically what
>>> rippers do but without the physical DVD. I know I can use ffmpeg or
>>> transcode to convert individual VOB files, but this seems error prone
>>> (e.g. how do I know I got all of the main feature?). Does anyone have a
>>> script for this sort of thing? Unfortunately K3B is no good as it
>>> insists on there being a physical DVD to rip from.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> you might look at mencoder, it takes .mov, it might take the dvd format too.
>>
> Good idea. The manpage says it can read DVD structures, VOB files etc.
> Guess I'll have to invest some time in understanding the gazillion
> options.
>
> poc

I recently ripped a DVD we got from a manta ray night dive event and
found .vob files.
I was surprised that vlc played the .vob out of the box!

Its great to see multimedia blossoming in Linux land.

Also, i got a blurb about a new Fluenda DVD play program for Linux, just
fyi...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:01 -0700, jack craig wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 11:16 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> you might look at mencoder, it takes .mov, it might take the dvd format too.
> >>
> > Good idea. The manpage says it can read DVD structures, VOB files etc.
> > Guess I'll have to invest some time in understanding the gazillion
> > options.
> >
> > poc
> >

> I recently ripped a DVD we got from a manta ray night dive event and
> found .vob files.
> I was surprised that vlc played the .vob out of the box!

mplayer will do that too.

> Its great to see multimedia blossoming in Linux land.

Indeed.

> Also, i got a blurb about a new Fluenda DVD play program for Linux, just
> fyi...

Yes, I got that. $20 or so, no thanks.

poc

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 19:20 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> Try Mencoder (MPlayer)
>
> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate="1200" -oac
> mp3lame -lameopts br=128 -o dvd.avi

I think that still reads from the DVD drive. However I managed it using:

mencoder dvd://4 -o output.avi ... -dvd-device VIDEO_TS

The important option being -dvd-device, which can be a directory. You
still have to figure out which is the "chapter" (4 in this case) but
it's easy to do a test run to check as mplayer takes the same option. Of
course there might be wierd and wonderful DVDs out there that require
more fooling around, but this one worked for me.

> You can see the man page for more options like zooming, scaling and
> subtitle stuffs.
>
> man mencoder
>
> There's also GUI frontends:
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#mencoder_frontends

None of which seem to be available in Fedora, and the ones I looked at
are all at least 5 years old. I find it odd that there isn't more demand
for this sort of thing.

Thanks for your help.

poc

Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Michael Miles

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 19:20 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
>
>> Try Mencoder (MPlayer)
>>
>> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate="1200" -oac
>> mp3lame -lameopts br=128 -o dvd.avi
>>
> I think that still reads from the DVD drive. However I managed it using:
>
> mencoder dvd://4 -o output.avi ... -dvd-device VIDEO_TS
>
> The important option being -dvd-device, which can be a directory. You
> still have to figure out which is the "chapter" (4 in this case) but
> it's easy to do a test run to check as mplayer takes the same option. Of
> course there might be wierd and wonderful DVDs out there that require
> more fooling around, but this one worked for me.
>

>> You can see the man page for more options like zooming, scaling and
>> subtitle stuffs.
>>
>> man mencoder
>>
>> There's also GUI frontends:
>>
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#mencoder_frontends
>>
> None of which seem to be available in Fedora, and the ones I looked at
> are all at least 5 years old. I find it odd that there isn't more demand
> for this sort of thing.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> poc

The support for avi files is WINFF as it is the front end for mencoder
that I use and works very well

If you need to play these an a Stanalone DVD player then yes you need
avi files
Kdenlive is another media type program that does more than just
conversion but the one I use is Avidemux. It is a bit complex but
extremely powerful.

The easiest to use is Handbrake but avi support is nil even though it
says it handles them

The need for standalone players to support MKV x264 is needed and they
are out there but expensive
h264 in the mkv container is the best format yet

Oh for my old win software Dvdfab platinum but getting it to run
correctly through wine leaves something to be desired

Cheers