-   -   Gnome Menu curosity question ?!? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/396552-gnome-menu-curosity-question.html)

William Case 07-08-2010 04:56 PM

Gnome Menu curosity question ?!?

Hi;

Dumb, dumb, question that has been bugging me for years. On the Gnome
Menu, what is the difference between 'Applications => System Tools' and
'Preferences => Administration'? There seems to be no rhyme or reason
why some applications are placed in one category rather than another.

I find it a PIA remembering where seldom used applications are. I have
reorganized the menu several times to reflect my personal definition.
However with every new Fedora version I lose my reorganized menu files.

Perhaps if I had a reasonable explanation that made sense, I would have
an aide de memoire to guess more correctly where a program is.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 13, Gnome 2.30.2

JB 07-08-2010 05:51 PM

Gnome Menu curosity question ?!?

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

yes, I agree with you.
The proper menu organization should be with the topmost specifier "system"
including all system-related menus/items.
It is proper to reorganize the System as well and place most used items at
the top.
The new menu would be:
System -> Tools /* old Applications -> System Tools */
-> Administration
-> Preferences
-> etc
I would suggest that you let GNOME developers know of our proposal if it is
acceptable to the majority of opinions here.
JB