-   -   Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/396435-problems-when-creating-live-boot-usb-stick.html)

Abu Attar Musharih 07-08-2010 12:38 PM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

Hi,

I made a live bootable Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G usb stick using Linux command

> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1

It was successful apart from no longer able to copy any file on it.
The live Fedora only occupied 700M while the media is 8G.

I got the following message when trying to copy a file on it, even if
with the root privilege.

> cp mag01.doc /media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/
cp: cannot create regular file `/media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/mag01.doc':
Read-only file system

I removed any existing partition using /sbin/fdisk and reformatted
with command line

/sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb

What I have now is a single partition with only 6.8 Gb free space.

The question, how can I recover the original volume amount, 8G. If
this is related to the file systems (ext3), which one should I choose
so the volume get back to the original.

Thanks for any kind of response.

AA

Richard Shaw 07-08-2010 01:08 PM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Abu Attar Musharih
<abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a live bootable *Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G *usb stick *using Linux command
>
>> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>
> It was successful apart from no longer able to copy any file on *it.
> The live Fedora only occupied 700M while the media is 8G.
>
> I got the following message when trying to copy *a file on it, even if
> with the root privilege.
>
>> *cp mag01.doc /media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/
> cp: cannot create regular file `/media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/mag01.doc':
> Read-only file system

When you copied the image directly onto the device you in effect
destroyed the exisiting file system, that's the downside to using the
"dd" method.

> I removed any existing partition using /sbin/fdisk and *reformatted
> with *command line
>
> /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb
>
> What I have now * is a single partition with only 6.8 Gb free space.

I think you should have used:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

> The question, how can I recover *the original volume amount, 8G. If
> this is related to the file systems (ext3), which one should I choose
> so the volume get back to the original.
>
> Thanks for any kind of response.

You seem to be fairly comfortable using the command line, but a
graphical tool would make this much easier to see what's going on. I
would install "gparted" if you're using gnome or "qtparted" and
repartition & reformat from there.

Also, if you would like to have access from a windows machine I would
reformat as FAT32. Actually in retrospect, I believe the
liveusb-creator tool[1] will format it for you and will allow you to
setup a persistent overlay so changes can be saved. Keep in mind it's
not that intelligent, from what I understand it just records block
changes from the livecd image and does not reuse any part of the
overlay, i.e. changes will continue to be tracked until the entire
overlay is used up at which point it is automatically dropped as a
fail-safe.

Richard

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" 07-08-2010 01:28 PM

On 07/08/2010 09:08 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Abu Attar Musharih
> <abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I made a live bootable �Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G �usb stick �using Linux command
>>
>>> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>>
>> It was successful apart from no longer able to copy any file on �it.
>> The live Fedora only occupied 700M while the media is 8G.

Use livecd-iso-to-disk instead!

- Mike

"Mick M." 07-08-2010 02:59 PM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

> The question, how can I recover* the original volume
> amount, 8G. If
> this is related to the file systems (ext3), which one
> should I choose
> so the volume get back to the original.
>
> Thanks for any kind of response.
>
> AA
> --

Try this:
open a terminal
'su -' become root

'fdisk -l' see existing drives
plug your stick in
'fdisk -l' find your drive

'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb' clears out the MBR ans the partition table.
let it run for a while.

Then:
'fdisk /dev/sdc'
'n enter' creates a new part
'p enter' primary
'1 enter' partition number
'enter' start at 1
'enter' last cylinder
'a' make it active so you can boot it
'1' partition number 1
'p' print it to screen and make sure it looks ok
'w' write it out

Then: 'mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
Unplug it and plug it back in, it should be detected as '8G-USB'

Sorry if this is too simplistic, no insult intended.
The key step is the 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb'

Mick M.

Bruno Wolff III 07-08-2010 03:49 PM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 21:38:25 +0900,
Abu Attar Musharih <abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a live bootable Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G usb stick using Linux command
>
> > dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1

That's the wrong device. If you use dd you need to overwrite starting at the
beginning of the phsyical device. The correct name for that device is
/dev/sdb, not /dev/sdb1. Note if you do that all partitions already defined
for the device will be lost.

As others mentioned, depending on what you want to do, using livecd-iso-to-disk
might be a better option for you.

fred smith 07-08-2010 07:15 PM

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 09:38:25PM +0900, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a live bootable Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G usb stick using Linux command
>
> > dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>
> It was successful apart from no longer able to copy any file on it.
> The live Fedora only occupied 700M while the media is 8G.
>
> I got the following message when trying to copy a file on it, even if
> with the root privilege.
>
> > cp mag01.doc /media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/
> cp: cannot create regular file `/media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/mag01.doc':
> Read-only file system
>
> I removed any existing partition using /sbin/fdisk and reformatted
> with command line
>
> /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb
>
> What I have now is a single partition with only 6.8 Gb free space.
>
> The question, how can I recover the original volume amount, 8G. If
> this is related to the file systems (ext3), which one should I choose
> so the volume get back to the original.
>
> Thanks for any kind of response.

A few months ago I did an actual install onto a USB stick, rather than
one of the live CD on USB things. this allowed me to have the full size
of the usb stick as a "hard drive" and it could be run just like a "normal"
installation and updated just like one too.

I did it with the "install to hard disk" function of the LIVE CD, but I'd
expect an install from a cd/dvd (non-live) to work just as well.

I've never seen anyone suggest this method, so I don't know what the
drawbacks are, all I know is it worked for what I needed.

The reason I did that:
one problem with the live-cd-on-usb-with-persistence method is that
updates to the kernel, or new kernel modules--such as wireless drivers--
don't work, and I needed rt2860 drivers from RPMFusion, or else it
wasn't any good to me at all.
> AA

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

JD 07-08-2010 09:32 PM

On 07/08/2010 06:08 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Abu Attar Musharih
> <abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I made a live bootable Fedora-13 on Buffalo 8G usb stick using Linux command
>>
>>> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>> It was successful apart from no longer able to copy any file on it.
>> The live Fedora only occupied 700M while the media is 8G.
>>
>> I got the following message when trying to copy a file on it, even if
>> with the root privilege.
>>
>>> cp mag01.doc /media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/
>> cp: cannot create regular file `/media/Fedora-13-i686-Live/mag01.doc':
>> Read-only file system
> When you copied the image directly onto the device you in effect
> destroyed the exisiting file system, that's the downside to using the
> "dd" method.
>
>> I removed any existing partition using /sbin/fdisk and reformatted
>> with command line
>>
>> /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb
>>
>> What I have now is a single partition with only 6.8 Gb free space.
> I think you should have used:
>
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
>
>> The question, how can I recover the original volume amount, 8G. If
>> this is related to the file systems (ext3), which one should I choose
>> so the volume get back to the original.
>>
>> Thanks for any kind of response.
> You seem to be fairly comfortable using the command line, but a
> graphical tool would make this much easier to see what's going on. I
> would install "gparted" if you're using gnome or "qtparted" and
> repartition& reformat from there.
>
> Also, if you would like to have access from a windows machine I would
> reformat as FAT32. Actually in retrospect, I believe the
> liveusb-creator tool[1] will format it for you and will allow you to
> setup a persistent overlay so changes can be saved. Keep in mind it's
> not that intelligent, from what I understand it just records block
> changes from the livecd image and does not reuse any part of the
> overlay, i.e. changes will continue to be tracked until the entire
> overlay is used up at which point it is automatically dropped as a
> fail-safe.
>
> Richard
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
Just install liveusb-creator-3.9.2-1.fc13.noarch
and it will install the iso you select onto the usb stick.
I have used it to install F13 onto a usb stick and it works;
albeit - slower than a slug!

Steven I Usdansky 07-08-2010 10:17 PM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

> A few months ago I did an actual install onto a USB stick, rather than
> one of the live CD on USB things. this allowed me to have the full size
> of the usb stick as a "hard drive" and it could be run just like a "normal"
> installation and updated just like one too.
>
> I did it with the "install to hard disk" function of the LIVE CD, but I'd
> expect an install from a cd/dvd (non-live) to work just as well.
>
> I've never seen anyone suggest this method, so I don't know what the
> drawbacks are, all I know is it worked for what I needed.

I've done it (with the LXDE spin), and I like it.
<rant>The only annoyance is that the standard desktop Live CD insists it
needs 4GB for an installation, which is utterly ridiculous. My so-called
4GB flash drive shows up as 3.8GB, which means it doesn't work. A basic
installation off a Live CD onto my hard drive has been just under 2GB.
I don't need the kitchen sink on my flash drive, I don't want the
kitchen sink on my flash drive, but if the filesystem, complete with
bootloader, fits on a 2GB flash drive, I want to be able to install
it on a 2GB flash drive</rant>

Abu Attar Musharih 07-09-2010 06:41 AM

Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

Hi,

It is good to have several methods available.
Before installing 'gparted', I again use the native command dd,
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
dd: writing to `/dev/sdb': No space left on device
15663105+0 records in
15663104+0 records out
8019509248 bytes (8.0 GB) copied, 2748.04 s, 2.9 MB/s
It seems OK up to this point. The 8G is there. However, partitioning
with /sbin/fdisk and reformatting with mke2fs did not gave 8G.
> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
The browser shows only 6.8 G free. I should probably format with FAT32
OR perhaps the file browser of genome on FC7 failed to show the actual
amount of free space.

Back to my main subject, I tried "livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
live-boot stick.
It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
(checkisomd5 and udevadm).
The messages are

---------------------------------
[root@localhost LiveOS]# ./livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 512
/home/me/Download/Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1
Verifying image...
./livecd-iso-to-disk: line 399: checkisomd5: command not found
Are you SURE you want to continue?
Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort

./livecd-iso-to-disk: line 50: udevadm: command not found
basename: missing operand
Try `basename --help' for more information.
Partition isn't marked bootable!
You can mark the partition as bootable with
# /sbin/parted /dev//
(parted) toggle N boot
(parted) quit
Cleaning up to exit...
--------------------------------------

Then, I got back using the dd and it is now OK.

-----------------------
dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
1382400+0 records in
1382400+0 records out
707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s
------------------------

Last step, just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be writeable.

root> chown username /media/disk/

Thanks,
AA

JD 07-09-2010 06:57 AM

On 07/08/2010 11:41 PM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is good to have several methods available.
> Before installing 'gparted', I again use the native command dd,
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
> dd: writing to `/dev/sdb': No space left on device
> 15663105+0 records in
> 15663104+0 records out
> 8019509248 bytes (8.0 GB) copied, 2748.04 s, 2.9 MB/s
> It seems OK up to this point. The 8G is there. However, partitioning
> with /sbin/fdisk and reformatting with mke2fs did not gave 8G.
>> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
> The browser shows only 6.8 G free. I should probably format with FAT32
> OR perhaps the file browser of genome on FC7 failed to show the actual
> amount of free space.
I used livecd-iso-to-disk to install f13 on an 8gb flash.
$ df -k /sdc1
/dev/sdc1 7984216 3267344 4716872 41% /sdc1

$ mount | grep sdc1
/dev/sdc1 on /sdc1 type vfat (rw)

$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 8195 MB, 8195670016 bytes
253 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15686 * 512 = 8031232 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00010690

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 1 1020 7999829 b W95 FAT32

$ ls /sdc1
BOOTEX.LOG* My_Music/ RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386*
EFI/ Packages/ RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc*
GPL* repodata/ RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc64*
images/ RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora* RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-x86_64*
isolinux/ RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-primary* syslinux/
media.repo* RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-13-SPARC* TRANS.TBL*

So, perhaps vfat make more of the flash available for data
than ext3fs.