FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Thomas Taylor
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:41:29 +0900
Abu Attar Musharih <abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> It seems OK up to this point. The 8G is there. However, partitioning
> with /sbin/fdisk and reformatting with mke2fs did not gave 8G.
> > mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
> The browser shows only 6.8 G free. I should probably format with FAT32
> OR perhaps the file browser of genome on FC7 failed to show the actual
> amount of free space.

Hi Abu:

The apparent size difference could be in how the sizes are calculated. One
program may use the 1K = 1000 Bytes where the other may use 1K = 1024Bytes
which would result in the latter displaying a smaller size. Also, if you use a
-h/-H switch (human readable format) the size approximation is frequently wrong.

Hope this helps explain the size disparity.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3-RC1 x86_64
Fedora 13 x64
KDE 4.4.4, FF 3.6.4
claws-mail 3.7.6
registered linux user 263467
linxt-At-comcast-DoT-net
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
"Darr"
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Friday, 09 July, 2010 @07:35 zulu, Thomas Taylor scribed:
> The apparent size difference could be in how the sizes are
> calculated. One program may use the 1K = 1000 Bytes where the other
> may use 1K = 1024Bytes which would result in the latter displaying a
> smaller size. Also, if you use a -h/-H switch (human readable
> format) the size approximation is frequently wrong.

I was about to mention that also... manufacturers nearly-always
use powers of 10 to express the size (e.g. 8x10^9), and even then
they often round up (only 7,875,000,000 bytes? close enough;
call it 8GB!)... while operating systems always think in powers
of 2 (e.g. 2^33 = 8,589,934,592), though they haven't caught
up to the practice of expressing those units in IEC terms, with
an 'i' in them (e.g. KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB, PiB, EiB, et cetera).

Oh, yeah - I read it on the internets, so it MUST be true... ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

use -H instead of -h, e.g.
$ df -H /dev/sdb1
to display sizes in the powers-of-10 units that manufacturers use.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
john wendel
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On 07/09/2010 12:35 AM, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:41:29 +0900
> Abu Attar Musharih<abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> It seems OK up to this point. The 8G is there. However, partitioning
>> with /sbin/fdisk and reformatting with mke2fs did not gave 8G.
>>> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
>> The browser shows only 6.8 G free. I should probably format with FAT32
>> OR perhaps the file browser of genome on FC7 failed to show the actual
>> amount of free space.
>
> Hi Abu:
>
> The apparent size difference could be in how the sizes are calculated. One
> program may use the 1K = 1000 Bytes where the other may use 1K = 1024Bytes
> which would result in the latter displaying a smaller size. Also, if you use a
> -h/-H switch (human readable format) the size approximation is frequently wrong.
>
> Hope this helps explain the size disparity.
>
> Tom
>

When you format an ext3/4 filesystem, 5% of the space is "reserved".
Read the man page to find the switch that disables this space waste.

Regards,

John

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Abu Attar Musharih
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

> Back to my main subject, *I tried *"livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
> live-boot stick.
> It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
> (checkisomd5 and udevadm).

Can anyone let me know which package to download so the two commands
available?
I searched the reps of FC7 and did not find any clue. It is good to
have the persistent overlay setting.

> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
> 1382400+0 records in
> 1382400+0 records out
> 707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s

> Last step, *just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be *writeable.
>
> root> chown username /media/disk/

As shown above, the live-boot-stick is in the first partition which I
can not make any change
as it is created by the dd command. I am curious how to change the
read only file system to be writeable.
Thanks for any the response.

AA
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 03:06 AM
fred smith
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:22:26AM +0900, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> > Back to my main subject, *I tried *"livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
> > live-boot stick.
> > It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
> > (checkisomd5 and udevadm).
>
> Can anyone let me know which package to download so the two commands
> available?
> I searched the reps of FC7 and did not find any clue. It is good to
> have the persistent overlay setting.
>
> > dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
> > 1382400+0 records in
> > 1382400+0 records out
> > 707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s
>
> > Last step, *just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be *writeable.
> >
> > root> chown username /media/disk/
>
> As shown above, the live-boot-stick is in the first partition which I
> can not make any change
> as it is created by the dd command. I am curious how to change the
> read only file system to be writeable.
> Thanks for any the response.

As I said earlier, you could do what I did a couple months back:
boot up the live CD, and do an install with the usb stick as your
target drive. that gives you a normal fedora that boots from usb
with no writing restrictions, unlike the live-on-usb mechanism does.
I used an 8 Gb stick... someone said it won't install on a 4GB stick
since it isn't really quite 4 Gigs, and the live-cd installer wants
a min of 4 gigs.

I, being paranoid, disconnected the hard drives before doing that just
to make sure I didn't accidentlly install over what was already on them.
(having accidentally formatted my 500 GB usb drive that was the backup
of some important stuff, a few months ago, when I MEANT to format a
usb flash stick.)

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.
------------------------------- Romans 5:8 (niv) ------------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 AM
JD
 
Default Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On 07/09/2010 08:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:22:26AM +0900, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
>>> Back to my main subject, I tried "livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
>>> live-boot stick.
>>> It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
>>> (checkisomd5 and udevadm).
>> Can anyone let me know which package to download so the two commands
>> available?
>> I searched the reps of FC7 and did not find any clue. It is good to
>> have the persistent overlay setting.
>>
>>> dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
>>> 1382400+0 records in
>>> 1382400+0 records out
>>> 707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s
>>> Last step, just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be writeable.
>>>
>>> root> chown username /media/disk/
>> As shown above, the live-boot-stick is in the first partition which I
>> can not make any change
>> as it is created by the dd command. I am curious how to change the
>> read only file system to be writeable.
>> Thanks for any the response.
> As I said earlier, you could do what I did a couple months back:
> boot up the live CD, and do an install with the usb stick as your
> target drive. that gives you a normal fedora that boots from usb
> with no writing restrictions, unlike the live-on-usb mechanism does.
> I used an 8 Gb stick... someone said it won't install on a 4GB stick
> since it isn't really quite 4 Gigs, and the live-cd installer wants
> a min of 4 gigs.
>
> I, being paranoid, disconnected the hard drives before doing that just
> to make sure I didn't accidentlly install over what was already on them.
> (having accidentally formatted my 500 GB usb drive that was the backup
> of some important stuff, a few months ago, when I MEANT to format a
> usb flash stick.)
>
If the purpose of putting a distro CD/DVD on a usb stick is to have
a very tiny portable installation medim, then installing F13 onto the usb
stick as you would on a normal drive would defeat the aforementioned
purpose.
That said, I have done both: I have installed the DVD media onto
USB for the purpose of having a tiny and portable linux,
and I have also used liveusb-creator-3.9.2-1.fc13.noarch
which lets me choose the iso to install onto the usb media.
That has helped me install it on friends' machines when they
had no internet available,

Since you will have a lot of problems doing this on FC7,
I suggest you upgrade to F13 and install liveusb-creator-3.9.2-1.fc13.noarch

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org