Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
"Srinivasan"

Default Server hangs

Dear all,

*

We have installed Fedora Linux 8.0 on our server and we have
a web based application running on DB MySql. The server hangs very
frequently(atleast once a day). All operations come to stand still including
the keyboard and mouse etc.. We need to hard boot the system again to make the
server up and running.

*

Please help us to overcome this issue.

*

Regards

*

*

J.Srinivasan

Chief Executive Officer

Sosaley Technologies Private Limited

Mobile: +91-9840298411

Phone: +91-44-26182638

*

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4976 (20100326) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Michal

On 08/07/2010 10:52, Srinivasan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have installed Fedora Linux 8.0 on our server and we have a web based
> application running on DB MySql. The server hangs very
> frequently(atleast once a day). All operations come to stand still
> including the keyboard and mouse etc.. We need to hard boot the system
> again to make the server up and running.
>
> Please help us to overcome this issue.

We can't help if you give us no information. Help us help you. But first
of all, search the archives and the internet, if you find nothing then
come here asking WITH details

Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
birger

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 15:22 +0530, Srinivasan wrote:

> We have installed Fedora Linux 8.0 on our server and we have a web
> based application running on DB MySql. The server hangs very
> frequently(atleast once a day). All operations come to stand still
> including the keyboard and mouse etc.. We need to hard boot the system
> again to make the server up and running.

First of all, Fedora is not a linux distro I would recommend for a
server unless you really, really need to run bleeding-edge software on
your server. Fedora releases often, with very short support for old
releases.

I would recommend centos.org as the place to find a server-oriented
distribution that is based on Fedora.

If you ever need to run a commercially supported linux on your server,
the step from CentOS to Red Hat Enterprise Server (RHEL) is very short.
They are mostly identical, apart from the need for a support license for
RHEL.

Combined with your claim that you run Fedora 8 I don't see the reason
for running Fedora at all. Fedora 8 is a long time obsoleted version.
There is no support for it anymore.

Either install CentOS 5.5 for a system with a long-term support and
excellent stability or Fedora 13 for the latest and greatest
bleeding-edge release with frequent updates.

If you still have the same problem (I would guess not), please come
back, telling wether you can still ping the server and/or log in to it
remotely with ssh (remember to enable the ssh service before it hangs).

--
birger

Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Harish Pillay

Srini -

> We have installed Fedora Linux 8.0 on our server and we have a web based
> application running on DB MySql. The server hangs very frequently(atleast
> once a day). All operations come to stand still including the keyboard and
> mouse etc.. We need to hard boot the system again to make the server up and
> running.
>
> Please help us to overcome this issue.

And the issue is? Details of the issue would be good. But, as others have
pointed out, Fedora 8 EOLed early 2009. While you can certainly run Fedora
on servers (as I do myself), if you are looking for it to be run as a core
enterprise system, I would invest in a support subscription from a commercially
supported distribution like Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

While you are contemplating getting a Red Hat subscription, perhaps you
might want to do the following:
a) Check the machine's memory. You might have RAM related issues.
b) Are you running out of disk space for the applications running?
c) What else other than MySql is the machine running?

Harish