Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Natxo Asenjo

Default Fedora 12 and Privoxy

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Jason Turning <jturning@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I just upgraded my laptop to Fedora 12, and now Privoxy is failing on bootup
> and has to be manually started. Anyone encountered this problem, and if so what
> was the fix?

what does

$/sbin/chkconfig --list privoxy

tell you?

It should be on on runlevels 3 and 5.

--
natxo

Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Natxo Asenjo

Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Jason Turning

Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Jason Turning <jturning@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I just upgraded my laptop to Fedora 12, and now Privoxy is failing on bootup
>> and has to be manually started. Anyone encountered this problem, and if so what
>> was the fix?
>
> what does
>
> $/sbin/chkconfig --list privoxy
>
> tell you?
>
> It should be on on runlevels 3 and 5.

It's on for runlevels 2 thru 5, but on boot up it fails with the following
message from the Privoxy logfile:

Jul 08 09:02:21.415 7f27343cd700 Fatal error: can't bind to 127.0.0.1:8118: The
hostname is not resolvable

So I'm guessing the network isn't up yet and it fails to load. I think I read
where Fedora 12 is trying to load things simultaneously and perhaps the network
isn't enabled when it tries to load?

--
Jason

Old 07-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 09:09 -0700, Jason Turning wrote:
> It's on for runlevels 2 thru 5, but on boot up it fails with the
> following message from the Privoxy logfile:
>
> Jul 08 09:02:21.415 7f27343cd700 Fatal error: can't bind to 127.0.0.1:8118: The hostname is not resolvable
>
> So I'm guessing the network isn't up yet and it fails to load. I think
> I read where Fedora 12 is trying to load things simultaneously and
> perhaps the network isn't enabled when it tries to load?

I wouldn't have thought that for 127.0.0.1. That should be up even if
your other interfaces aren't. What's in your /etc/hosts file?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Jason Turning

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 09:09 -0700, Jason Turning wrote:
>> It's on for runlevels 2 thru 5, but on boot up it fails with the
>> following message from the Privoxy logfile:
>>
>> Jul 08 09:02:21.415 7f27343cd700 Fatal error: can't bind to 127.0.0.1:8118: The hostname is not resolvable
>>
>> So I'm guessing the network isn't up yet and it fails to load. I think
>> I read where Fedora 12 is trying to load things simultaneously and
>> perhaps the network isn't enabled when it tries to load?
>
> I wouldn't have thought that for 127.0.0.1. That should be up even if
> your other interfaces aren't. What's in your /etc/hosts file?

Nothing wrong with my hosts file. But I did find a work around from the Ubuntu
bug tracker where their users were having the same problem. One part was to
change the instance of "listen address localhost:8118" in the Privoxy config
file to "listen address 127.0.0.1:8118" which was already done in the Fedora
Privoxy config file. The other part was to disable IPV6 by placing this in the
/etc/sysctl.conf:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

Now Privoxy loads fine on bootup. There was an IPV6 work around, but that
caused some issues with some older programs. The Ubuntu bug was confirmed, low
priority and still unassigned.

Jason