-   -   Getting S/PDIF output working (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/396177-getting-s-pdif-output-working.html)

Alan Nicoll 07-07-2010 07:51 PM

Getting S/PDIF output working

PROBLEM: No sound coming out of my Denon Receiver that is hooked to my pc via optical cable connected to the S/PDIF port.* If I set the system up to output to speakers connected to the green port I can get sound.

SYSTEM:

Athlon 64x2 processor
ASUS M4A78L-M motherboard
[root@NN nck]# cat /proc/asound/cards
*0 [SB************ ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
********************* HDA ATI SB at 0xfe8f4000 irq 16
*1 [HDMI********** ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI

********************* HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeae8000 irq 26
[root@NN nck]# uname -r
2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64
[root@NN nck]# uname -a
Linux NN.FRONT 2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 6 18:09:49 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@NN nck]# uname -m
x86_64

SOFTWARE:
***** Fedora 13_64, fully updated.

SETUP:
Hovering the mouse over the speaker icon in the top bar shows "Output 100%; 0.0db, RS780 Azalia Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) so I am assuming that is the default sound output.

I went into alsamixer and muted everything except the SPDIF bars in both cards.

TEST:
I test the system by opening sound preferences, hardware tab, selecting the RS780 Azalia controller and running the Test Speakers app.* I do not get any sound.* I have my Denon set to Aux, 0db and Aux is set to Optical 1 and that port is connected to my pc.* I can see light coming from the end of the cable when the pc is on.

HISTORY:
* * I have been working this problem since 1JUL10.* I first installed MythDora 12 and learned a lot about alsa, drivers, mixers and linux sound then started over from scratch with Fedora 13.* I quickly got to the same point.

Nick
"Open source costs time instead of money."