Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Suvayu Ali

Default I need a PDF reader that will open this...

On Wednesday 07 July 2010 10:01 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
>
> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf
>
> Can anyone else ?

I see it fine with evince. Does that help?

--
Suvayu

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 07 July 2010, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>On 07/07/2010 01:01 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
>> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
>>
>> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_p
>>athways_map.pdf
>>
>> Can anyone else ?
>
>It loads for me in Evince, but it is EXTREMELY slow.

And it loaded for me in swiftfox, but your use of all caps is an
understatement, I'd nominate that site for slowest of the week.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Joachim Backes

On 07/07/10 19:01, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
>
> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf
>
> Can anyone else ?
>
> Thanks

Yes, I can, using AdobeReader_deu-9.3.2-1.i486 (the german acroread
version). I can zoom to 100% or more.

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Linuxguy123

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 20:03 +0300, Alan Holt wrote:
> Just try Adobe Reader for Linux if you have some problems with Linux
> based PDF reader

I did.

$ yum list *AdobeReader*
Installed Packages
AdobeReader_enu.i486
9.3.2-1 @adobe-linux-i386

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Joachim Backes

On 07/07/10 19:06, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 01:01 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>
>> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
>> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
>>
>> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf
>>
>> Can anyone else ?
>
> It loads for me in Evince, but it is EXTREMELY slow.

I tested evince, it's really slow, but acroread will open it very fast!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Linuxguy123

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 13:20 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 July 2010, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> >On 07/07/2010 01:01 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
> >> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
> >>
> >> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_p
> >>athways_map.pdf

The document is only 4.8 MB. I downloaded it locally and it ran at the
same speed. I don't think it has anything to do with the site.

LG

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Linuxguy123

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 19:25 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 07/07/10 19:01, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >
> > I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
> > PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
> >
> > http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf
> >
> > Can anyone else ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Yes, I can, using AdobeReader_deu-9.3.2-1.i486 (the german acroread
> version). I can zoom to 100% or more.

Please try 200% or more and report back. It works fine for me at 100%
as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Linuxguy123

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 19:28 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> I tested evince, it's really slow, but acroread will open it very
> fast!

Try scaling to 200% or more to see some detail.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 07/07/2010 10:01 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I can't seem to open this file and zoom in on it with any Linux based
> PDF reader. They all seem to lock up.
>
> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf
>
> Can anyone else ?
>
> Thanks

Okular takes a few seconds for each zoom level and stops working after
120% (just shows a white rectangle instead of the image)

Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
"Dale J. Chatham"

fc13 x86_64 with acroread, works fine. It's a large PDF with lots of
detail, thus kinda slow.

--
Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution.
Let us not make it a blank paper by construction."

--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Wilson Nicholas, 1803

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)