Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Rick Bilonick

Default Does NetworkManager Work with WPA in Fedora 8?

I had networkmanager working nicely with wpa and with wep under Fedora
6. When I upgraded to Fedora 8 I could NOT get networkmanager to work
with wpa. After following the directions in

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

I can manually get it to work by running:

wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

with wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

#Taking examples
from /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7/wpa_supplicant.conf
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

# WIRELESS-PITTNET network block
network={
ssid="WIRELESS-PITTNET"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
eap=PEAP
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
identity="rab45"
password="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
ca_cert="/etc/pki/tls/cert.pem"
# subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing
Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated
by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa1.york.ac.uk"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
# priority=5
}

I have no idea what the function of the "subject_match" line is but I've
commented it out and I'm able to connect (after doing an "Activate" in
the network gui tool).

If I enable networkmanager, it brings up a panel with most of the info
showing from the config file BUT not showing the cert.pem for the
certificate. When I look in /etc/pki/tls, I can see cert.pem linked to
a .crt file in the certs directory:

[root@localhost tls]# ll
total 44
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2007-12-29 03:21 cert.pem ->
certs/ca-bundle.crt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-01-16 08:51 certs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-12-29 03:21 misc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9576 2007-10-15 11:20 openssl.cnf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-15 17:55 private

But if I try to get to cert.pem using the WPA supplicant gui panel that
pops up, cert.pem never shows up (nothing can be seen in the directory
from this panel).

Is this a bug in networkmanager under Fedora 8? I never had to specify a
certificate file using networkmanager under Fedora 6.

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qv NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.6.svn3138.fc8

NetworkManager works OK with my home wep network - although it screws up
when I'm connected to the wired network at the office (under Fedora 6
this all worked seamlessly).

Rick B.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Mike

Rick Bilonick <rab <at> nauticom.net> writes:

> # subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing
> Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated
> by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa1.york.ac.uk"
> phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
> # priority=5
> }
>
> I have no idea what the function of the "subject_match" line is but I've
> commented it out and I'm able to connect (after doing an "Activate" in
> the network gui tool).

The subject match line verifies the certificate is from the authority it is
supposed to come from - so that line would need to be changed to that
for your organisation's server - commenting it out will certainly be fine
with a "slightly" less secure connection in that it is possible though
unlikely someone could forge a certificate and you then connect to an AP
that is not verified.

I will leave others to answer the other parts of the post - but I do
remember that NM has problems with wired connections - I never use it
myself.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 AM
"Ian Malone"

On 17/01/2008, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> I had networkmanager working nicely with wpa and with wep under Fedora
> 6. When I upgraded to Fedora 8 I could NOT get networkmanager to work
> with wpa. After following the directions in
>

> NetworkManager works OK with my home wep network - although it screws up
> when I'm connected to the wired network at the office (under Fedora 6
> this all worked seamlessly).

FWIW it works seamlessly here (on WPA and unencrypted wireless
as well as ethernet connections) with F8. Initially with F7 I had problems,
mainly connecting to unencrypted wireless networks. Bugzilla time I
think.

(I did open the network properties and check the new option allowing
NM to manage the connection for the ethernet interface.)

--
imalone

Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 08:23 +0000, Mike wrote:
> Rick Bilonick <rab <at> nauticom.net> writes:
>
> > # subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing
> > Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated
> > by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa1.york.ac.uk"
> > phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
> > # priority=5
> > }
> >
> > I have no idea what the function of the "subject_match" line is but I've
> > commented it out and I'm able to connect (after doing an "Activate" in
> > the network gui tool).
>
> The subject match line verifies the certificate is from the authority it is
> supposed to come from - so that line would need to be changed to that
> for your organisation's server - commenting it out will certainly be fine
> with a "slightly" less secure connection in that it is possible though
> unlikely someone could forge a certificate and you then connect to an AP
> that is not verified.
>
> I will leave others to answer the other parts of the post - but I do
> remember that NM has problems with wired connections - I never use it
> myself.

NetworkManager didn't use to have problems with wired connections. Under
Fedora 6, it would connect to the wired network with a static ip when at
the office and connect to the wireless network when at home -
automatically without any intervention. Now I have to turn the applet
off - otherwise it connects to the wired network using DHCP (it connects
but I don't have the access I need when I'm connected via my static ip).

Where do you find the info for the subject_match line?

Rick B.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 11:24 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> (I did open the network properties and check the new option allowing
> NM to manage the connection for the ethernet interface.)
>
> --
> imalone

Where does one "open the network properties"? I've been looking for
config files but I haven't found anything that I could understand. There
is nothing under /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d. There were xml files
in .gconf but I couldn't recognize much.

Rick B.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
"Ian Malone"

On 17/01/2008, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 11:24 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> > (I did open the network properties and check the new option allowing
> > NM to manage the connection for the ethernet interface.)
> >

> Where does one "open the network properties"? I've been looking for
> config files but I haven't found anything that I could understand. There
> is nothing under /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d. There were xml files
> in .gconf but I couldn't recognize much.

System|Administration|Network a.k.a. /usr/bin/system-config-network
Devices tab, select the appropriate device, click edit. The devices
properties typically affect /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I see that
the NM check-box corresponds to a new variable in ifcfg-xxxx:
NM_CONTROLLED.

--
imalone

Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Mike C

Rick Bilonick <rab <at> nauticom.net> writes:

> Where do you find the info for the subject_match line?

I was given this information for our AP/server, but I guess you have to check
the certificate from the admin people who runs the server that does the
authorization for users of the wireless network.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:46 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 17/01/2008, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 11:24 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> > > (I did open the network properties and check the new option allowing
> > > NM to manage the connection for the ethernet interface.)
> > >

> > Where does one "open the network properties"? I've been looking for
> > config files but I haven't found anything that I could understand. There
> > is nothing under /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d. There were xml files
> > in .gconf but I couldn't recognize much.
> >

> System|Administration|Network a.k.a. /usr/bin/system-config-network
> Devices tab, select the appropriate device, click edit. The devices
> properties typically affect /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I see that
> the NM check-box corresponds to a new variable in ifcfg-xxxx:
> NM_CONTROLLED.
>
> --
> imalone

I must not have noticed when the nm button was added (pays to look
carefully!). Thanks. I'll see if this fixes the problem of nm not
connecting with the static IP address (as did under Fedora 6).

Rick B.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 13:41 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:46 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:

> > > Where does one "open the network properties"? I've been looking for
> > > config files but I haven't found anything that I could understand. There
> > > is nothing under /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d. There were xml files
> > > in .gconf but I couldn't recognize much.
> > >

> > System|Administration|Network a.k.a. /usr/bin/system-config-network
> > Devices tab, select the appropriate device, click edit. The devices
> > properties typically affect /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I see that
> > the NM check-box corresponds to a new variable in ifcfg-xxxx:
> > NM_CONTROLLED.
> >
> > --
> > imalone
> >

> I must not have noticed when the nm button was added (pays to look
> carefully!). Thanks. I'll see if this fixes the problem of nm not
> connecting with the static IP address (as did under Fedora 6).
>
> Rick B.
According to Dan Williams the head of the NM project NM does not work
with static ips . That is a change coming in NM-0.7

Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 16:36 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> According to Dan Williams the head of the NM project NM does not work
> with static ips . That is a change coming in NM-0.7
> --
> ================================================== =====================
> Mundus vult decipi decipiatur ergo. -- Xaviera Hollander [The world
> wants to be cheated, so cheat.]
> ================================================== =====================
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

Here is the version of NetworkManager installed under Fedora 8:

> [chippy@localhost ~]$ rpm -qv NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.6.svn3138.fc8

I will find out on Tuesday when back at the office to see if nm handles
the static ip. Like I said before, I could have sworn I was using nm
under Fedora 6 and had no problems with the laptop automatically
connecting using the static ip at the office and the wireless network at
home.

Rick B.