FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On 07/06/2010 04:08 PM, solarflow99 wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
> some of the problems I had are known (repo problems, etc.) but at
> other times, anaconda would abort at different points during the
> install, i'm going to have to try with F-12 and see if its any better.

Did you try installing from a live CD instead? Often that works better
than using a classic install CD.

Also, you can use the "revisor" tool to construct your own up-to-date
install disk. However, I find it usually isn't worth the effort - it can
be glitchy.

Once installed F13 is great. Awesome, really.

- Mike
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
mike cloaked
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
<mjc@avtechpulse.com> wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 04:08 PM, solarflow99 wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh@redhat.com> *wrote:
>> some of the problems I had are known (repo problems, etc.) but at
>> other times, anaconda would abort at different points during the
>> install, i'm going to have to try with F-12 and see if its any better.
>
> Did you try installing from a live CD instead? Often that works better
> than using a classic install CD.

An awful lot of people have installed F13 perfectly successfully -
which hardware and what method did you use to install?


--
mike c
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 AM
john wendel
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On 07/06/2010 01:29 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
> <mjc@avtechpulse.com> wrote:
>> On 07/06/2010 04:08 PM, solarflow99 wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> some of the problems I had are known (repo problems, etc.) but at
>>> other times, anaconda would abort at different points during the
>>> install, i'm going to have to try with F-12 and see if its any better.
>>
>> Did you try installing from a live CD instead? Often that works better
>> than using a classic install CD.
>
> An awful lot of people have installed F13 perfectly successfully -
> which hardware and what method did you use to install?
>
>

I've done two installs using the X86 lxde live cd and both got an error
while reading the install cd (and claimed it must be corrupt). One box
is an Athlon X2 Dell system and the other is a homebuild Athlon XP (very
old). The cd checks fine. The 2nd try worked fine in both cases. And the
installed systems work great.

Strange?

Regards,

John

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 AM
solarflow99
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM, john wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 01:29 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
>> <mjc@avtechpulse.com> *wrote:
>>> On 07/06/2010 04:08 PM, solarflow99 wrote:
>>>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh@redhat.com> * *wrote:
>>>> some of the problems I had are known (repo problems, etc.) but at
>>>> other times, anaconda would abort at different points during the
>>>> install, i'm going to have to try with F-12 and see if its any better.
>>>
>>> Did you try installing from a live CD instead? Often that works better
>>> than using a classic install CD.
>>
>> An awful lot of people have installed F13 perfectly successfully -
>> which hardware and what method did you use to install?
>>
>>
>
> I've done two installs using the X86 lxde live cd and both got an error
> while reading the install cd (and claimed it must be corrupt). One box
> is an Athlon X2 Dell system and the other is a homebuild Athlon XP (very
> old). The cd checks fine. The 2nd try worked fine in both cases. And the
> installed systems work great.


Well, I used F-12 and it worked perfectly, so it is definitely
something to do with x86 F-13's anaconda. seems strange i'm the only
one to encounter this. I tried both with a HD and DVD install, the
media was tested and she shasum matched, so I dont know why...
I never did find an updates.img with all the cumulative fixes included
which might have helped. I am doing this on a HP P-4 2.8Ghz 1GB 80G
IDE, memtest86 passed
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Stephen Gallagher
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/06/2010 09:59 PM, john wendel wrote:
>
> I've done two installs using the X86 lxde live cd and both got an error
> while reading the install cd (and claimed it must be corrupt). One box
> is an Athlon X2 Dell system and the other is a homebuild Athlon XP (very
> old). The cd checks fine. The 2nd try worked fine in both cases. And the
> installed systems work great.
>

Not terribly strange. This is usually the result of having burned the
disk too fast. It's always advisable to burn an install CD at lower than
maximum speed, since it's less prone to errors. Most drives/drivers can
correct a lot of read errors, which is probably how you succeeded the
second time, but burning at a lower speed gives it an opportunity to
ensure that every bit is written properly.

These days I just keep a USB thumbdrive around for doing installs. With
the liveusb-creator, any livecd can be turned into a liveusb for
installation, and it doesn't suffer the same issues as a CD install (and
it can be a lot faster too)

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.
Red Hat ranks #1 in value among software vendors.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkw0ZJAACgkQeiVVYja6o6M4lQCeNQfanvSFc/9ibs8KsOO7X7j7
IQsAnjNohp/baaQW9P3eJztRxAIk0TZU
=HVTn
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Craig White
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 22:15 -0700, solarflow99 wrote:

> Well, I used F-12 and it worked perfectly, so it is definitely
> something to do with x86 F-13's anaconda. seems strange i'm the only
> one to encounter this. I tried both with a HD and DVD install, the
> media was tested and she shasum matched, so I dont know why...
> I never did find an updates.img with all the cumulative fixes included
> which might have helped. I am doing this on a HP P-4 2.8Ghz 1GB 80G
> IDE, memtest86 passed
----
I find it is necessary to burn images at the slowest speed possible when
you are burning on one computer and installing on another - differences
when different CD/DVD drives are being used and for some reason, there
is not much tolerance for read errors during the installation.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Robert Myers
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM, solarflow99 <solarflow99@gmail.com> wrote:







Well, I used F-12 and it worked perfectly, so it is definitely

something to do with x86 F-13's anaconda. *seems strange i'm the only

one to encounter this. *I tried both with a HD and DVD install, the

media was tested and she shasum matched, so I dont know why...

I never did find an updates.img with all the cumulative fixes included

which might have helped. *I am doing this on a HP P-4 2.8Ghz 1GB 80G

IDE, memtest86 passed

Sounds like an older system. *Does your Pentium 4 support x86_64? *Are you using the correct installer image?
Robert.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
solarflow99
 
Default fedora 13 so many bugs

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM, solarflow99 <solarflow99@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Well, I used F-12 and it worked perfectly, so it is definitely
>> something to do with x86 F-13's anaconda. *seems strange i'm the only
>> one to encounter this. *I tried both with a HD and DVD install, the
>> media was tested and she shasum matched, so I dont know why...
>> I never did find an updates.img with all the cumulative fixes included
>> which might have helped. *I am doing this on a HP P-4 2.8Ghz 1GB 80G
>> IDE, memtest86 passed
>
> Sounds like an older system. *Does your Pentium 4 support x86_64? *Are you
> using the correct installer image?
> Robert.


I mentioned I did a HD and a DVD install, so I don't see how it could
have anything to do with the burn speed, I only recorded at 8x
anyways. When using the HD install, I has an ISO on a USB drive and
the problems were the same, but with F-12 it was perfect. This was
with the x86 build and I definitely used the right images and files.
If I could have used a updated anaconda and still had these problems I
could report it, there's no point if they might be known problems
already.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org