Old 01-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Robert L Cochran

Default How To Find Out Fan Speed Via Software

Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a shell
script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu fan
speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.

Thanks

Bob Cochran

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
John Summerfield

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a shell
script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu fan
speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.

You need lm-sensors

run sensors-detect as root, agree with everything. Then,
[root@mail httpd]# LANG=C sensors
eeprom-i2c-0-51
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000
Memory type: DDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB): 256

eeprom-i2c-0-50
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000
Memory type: DDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB): 256

adm1025-i2c-0-2d
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000
+2.5V: +1.48 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +3.32 V)
VCore: +1.48 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.99 V)
+3.3V: +3.30 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.38 V)
+5V: +5.08 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +6.64 V)
+12V: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +15.94 V) ALARM
VCC: +3.27 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.38 V)
CPU Temp: +38.0 C (low = +0 C, high = +127 C)
M/B Temp: +34.0 C (low = +0 C, high = +127 C)

[root@mail httpd]#

I have seen fan speed mentioned.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 AM
Brian Chadwick

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a
shell script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu
fan speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.

Thanks

Bob Cochran

install the hardware sensors -------- yum install lmsensors

configure the sensors -------------- sensors-config

type sensors .. u will get a list of voltages and rpms and temperatures

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a shell
>script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu fan
>speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Cochran

An oddly named utility that sits on one edge of your screen, called Gkrellm,
does a fine job of monitoring system stuff like that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Karl Larsen

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a
shell script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu
fan speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.

Thanks

Bob Cochran

There must be a way to get speed in my BIOS. When I turn on my
computer it shows the voltages and both fan rpm's. Very nice when the
outside temp reaches 115F like it does here.

Karl

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:57 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
> > Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a
> > shell script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu
> > fan speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bob Cochran
> >
> install the hardware sensors -------- yum install lmsensors
>

> configure the sensors -------------- sensors-config
>
> type sensors .. u will get a list of voltages and rpms and temperatures

Where can lmsensors be found. The yum install did not find it for me?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
François Patte

Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Karl Larsen

François Patte wrote:

On my F8 yum told me I already have that installed. I think there is
something to click on that gives you Blood Pressure and Weight of your
computer :-)

Karl

Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Robin Laing

John Summerfield wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:
[...]

Word of warning.

What I did find out about sensors is the accuracy of the voltages can be
wrong. Take note that this could give a false sense of security. I had
a PSU failing but sensors didn't read the voltage correctly. I lost a
DVD burner and almost lost a hard drive due to this. You can play with
the settings and calibrate the settings.

I confirmed my settings with a good digital volt meter.

I was reminded of this when I saw the ALARM in the above link.
--
Robin Laing

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM
"max bianco"

On Jan 17, 2008 11:44 AM, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> Is there a way to find out the cpu fan speed through software -- a
>> shell script or other utility maybe? I'd like some way to monitor cpu

>> fan speed and get a notification if the fan quits unexpectedly.
>
> You need lm-sensors
>

> run sensors-detect as root, agree with everything. Then,
> [root@mail httpd]# LANG=C sensors

> eeprom-i2c-0-51
> Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000
> Memory type: * * * * * *DDR SDRAM DIMM
> Memory size (MB): * * * 256
>
> eeprom-i2c-0-50
> Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000

> Memory type: * * * * * *DDR SDRAM DIMM
> Memory size (MB): * * * 256
>
> adm1025-i2c-0-2d
> Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at e000
> +2.5V: * * +1.48 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = *+3.32 V)

> VCore: * * +1.48 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = *+2.99 V)
> +3.3V: * * +3.30 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = *+4.38 V)
> +5V: * * * +5.08 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = *+6.64 V)
> +12V: * * *+0.00 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = +15.94 V) * ALARM

> VCC: * * * +3.27 V *(min = *+0.00 V, max = *+4.38 V)
> CPU Temp: *+38.0 C *(low *= * *+0 C, high = *+127 C)
> M/B Temp: *+34.0 C *(low *= * *+0 C, high = *+127 C)
>
> [root@mail httpd]#

> I have seen fan speed mentioned.

Word of warning.

What I did find out about sensors is the accuracy of the voltages can be
wrong. *Take note that this could give a false sense of security. *I had

a PSU failing but sensors didn't read the voltage correctly. *I lost a
DVD burner and almost lost a hard drive due to this. *You can play with
the settings and calibrate the settings.

I confirmed my settings with a good digital volt meter.

I was reminded of this when I saw the ALARM in the above link.
--
Robin Laing

I ran sensors-detect as mentioned at the beginning of the thread and it helped straighten out some temp issues I was seeing via the sensor applet. I still don't have fan speed and such but i did not follow through on all the instructions from sensors-detect which included( i* am not at the machine in question) pasting something into the /etc/rc* . I wasn't really sure and really didn't have time to do it. Anyone know if this will help with getting the fan speed ?