Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM
birger

Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

I recently installed F13 on a system with nForce 4 chipset. It
consistently failed when trying to boot x86_64. Both from USB stick and
from live CD. I didn't try x86_64 install DVD. Instead I fell back to a
USB memory stick with i686 live instead, and it worked just fine.

I see you are also trying with a nForce based motherboard. Have you
tried x86_64 or i686?

I don't really think you are seeing the same problem that I have, as my
system fails before getting up the graphical interface from the live
environment. It fails with filesystem decompression errors, both from CD
and memory stick.

--
birger

Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 AM

---- JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 06:44 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> > ---- Rick Sewill<rsewill@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> May I suggest looking at the URL:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> >>
> >> It is where I would start when trying to debug Fedora panic/crash problems.

> >> setting kernel boot parameters to try to narrow the problem or work
> >> around the problem.
> >>
> >> For more information on kernel boot parameters, the web page says,
> >> "The full list of kernel options is in the file
> >> /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-<version>/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt,
> >> which is installed with the kernel-doc package"
> >>
> >> I assume one can find the correct kernel-parameters.txt file either
> >> looking in the local file system assuming Fedora is usable -or-
> >> searching the internet for "kernel-parameters.txt"
> >> If one finds it with an internet search, please make sure the
> >> kernel-parameters.txt more or less match the correct version of the
> >> Fedora kernel.
> >>
> >> Having said the above, if you suspect an acpi or apic problem,
> >> the URL: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> >> says,
> >> "acpi=off is a big hammer, and if that works, narrowing down by trying
> >> pci=noacpi instead may yield clues"
> >> It also says, "nolapic and noapic are sometimes useful"

A quick update. I tried the acpi=no option and so far, so good. I have even brought it back into X windows and ran some yum updates to apply some stress. I'll leave it in this state until tomorrow evening just to make sure. Then I'll try the smaller hammers.

Question showing my ignorance of what acpi is. If pci=noacpi works or does not work, what clues is that giving me?

Thanks!

Andrew

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Rick Sewill

Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
"Darr"

>> Question showing my ignorance of what acpi is. If pci=noacpi works
>> or does not work, what clues is that giving me?
>>

> I didn't respond earlier because we've reached my level of ignorance
> too.

ACPI is the successor/combination of plug & play, advanced
power management, et al...

If you have disabled ACPI and it did not make a difference, I
would say the clue it's giving you is ACPI is not causing the error.

APIC, on the other hand, has to do with interrupt timing. Do you
see any options in your BIOS for enabling/disabling/changing
APIC's slices or timing?

Are you overclocking your RAM or CPU[s]?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Andrew Robinson

On 07/07/2010 01:47 PM, Darr wrote:
>>> Question showing my ignorance of what acpi is. If pci=noacpi works
>>> or does not work, what clues is that giving me?
>>>

>> I didn't respond earlier because we've reached my level of ignorance
>> too.
>

> ACPI is the successor/combination of plug& play, advanced
> power management, et al...
>
> If you have disabled ACPI and it did not make a difference, I
> would say the clue it's giving you is ACPI is not causing the error.
>

> APIC, on the other hand, has to do with interrupt timing. Do you
> see any options in your BIOS for enabling/disabling/changing
> APIC's slices or timing?
>
> Are you overclocking your RAM or CPU[s]?

Specifying apci=off in grub seems to have worked. Now I've booted with
pci=noacpi, and so far it seems to be working. I'll let it run overnight
with the X screensaver on to see if it cares to lock up. Then I'll try
the nolapic and noapic options. Then I'll figure out what to try next.

I looked in the BIOS but did not see any options for fine tuning timing
or slices. I'll look again next time I reboot. How should I manipulate
slices or timing if I find that capability? And no, I'm not
overclocking, at least not intentionally .

Thanks for the questions. Please keep them coming.