Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 03:28:20 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > ---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Hardware:
> >
> > Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX
> > AMD
> > Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W
> > Dual-Core Processor
> > Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
> > PCI
> > Express
> > Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> > Dual Channel
> > Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> > Dual Channel
> > (6 GB total)
> > Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
> > 3.5"
> <snip>
> I wasn't able to discover anyything about Fedora compatibility with
> your Biostar MB, so you might well be in unexplored territory. It
> appears that the hardware compatibility lists for Fedora are no longer
> maintained, alas.
>
> The Nvidia FOSS driver for X (NV) might be a problem for you. I suggest
> you stay at runlevel 3 until your problems are resolved. If R/L 5
> causes you a problem after that, try the proprietary driver. I've found
> that it works well.
>
> You didn't say where your Fedora came from. Are you sure that it's
> clean?

Pretty sure. I used the netinstall CD for both 13 and 12. I checked the md256sum for the Fedora 13 iso. I downloaded both from the Fedora site, so they came from a Fedora-specific mirror. And there is the fact that I got the same behaviour from both.

Again, please keep the questions coming. I really want to resolve this.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Kam Leo

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM, <awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:

>> <snip>
>> >
>> > Hardware:
>> >
>> > Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX
>> > AMD
>> > Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W
>> > Dual-Core Processor
>> > Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
>> > PCI
>> > Express
>> > Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
>> > Dual Channel
>> > Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
>> > Dual Channel
>> > (6 GB total)
>> > Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
>> > 3.5"
>> <snip>
>> I wasn't able to discover anyything about Fedora compatibility with
>> your Biostar MB, so you might well be in unexplored territory. It
>> appears that the hardware compatibility lists for Fedora are no longer
>> maintained, alas.
>>
>> The Nvidia FOSS driver for X (NV) might be a problem for you. I suggest
>> you stay at runlevel 3 until your problems are resolved. If R/L 5
>> causes you a problem after that, try the proprietary driver. I've found
>> that it works well.
>>
>> You didn't say where your Fedora came from. Are you sure that it's
>> clean?
>>

> Pretty sure. I used the netinstall CD for both 13 and 12. I checked the md256sum for the Fedora 13 iso. I downloaded both from the Fedora site, so they came from a Fedora-specific mirror. And there is the fact that I got the same behaviour from both.
>
> Again, please keep the questions coming. I really want to resolve this.

Try adding noapic to grub. Other options and suggestions are available at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Rick Sewill

On 07/05/2010 06:15 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:

> ---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hardware:
>>>
>>> Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX
>>> AMD
>>> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W
>>> Dual-Core Processor
>>> Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
>>> PCI
>>> Express
>>> Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
>>> Dual Channel
>>> Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
>>> Dual Channel
>>> (6 GB total)
>>> Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
>>> 3.5"
>> <snip>
>> I wasn't able to discover anyything about Fedora compatibility with
>> your Biostar MB, so you might well be in unexplored territory. It
>> appears that the hardware compatibility lists for Fedora are no longer
>> maintained, alas.
>>
>> The Nvidia FOSS driver for X (NV) might be a problem for you. I suggest
>> you stay at runlevel 3 until your problems are resolved. If R/L 5
>> causes you a problem after that, try the proprietary driver. I've found
>> that it works well.
>>
>> You didn't say where your Fedora came from. Are you sure that it's
>> clean?
>>

> Pretty sure. I used the netinstall CD for both 13 and 12. I checked the md256sum for the Fedora 13 iso. I downloaded both from the Fedora site, so they came from a Fedora-specific mirror. And there is the fact that I got the same behaviour from both.
>
> Again, please keep the questions coming. I really want to resolve this.

May I suggest looking at the URL:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

It is where I would start when trying to debug Fedora panic/crash problems.

>From this webpage, in the "Crashes/Hangs" section, they seem to suggest
setting kernel boot parameters to try to narrow the problem or work
around the problem.

For more information on kernel boot parameters, the web page says,
"The full list of kernel options is in the file
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-<version>/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt,
which is installed with the kernel-doc package"

I assume one can find the correct kernel-parameters.txt file either
looking in the local file system assuming Fedora is usable -or-
searching the internet for "kernel-parameters.txt"
If one finds it with an internet search, please make sure the
kernel-parameters.txt more or less match the correct version of the
Fedora kernel.

Having said the above, if you suspect an acpi or apic problem,
the URL: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
says,
"acpi=off is a big hammer, and if that works, narrowing down by trying
pci=noacpi instead may yield clues"
It also says, "nolapic and noapic are sometimes useful"

You need to look at kernel-parameters.txt to see what these parameters
do before using them. Please don't try a parameter just to try it.
Using a kernel boot parameter could make matters worse.

If you suspect a video problem...and I believe they are trying to phase
out support for the kernel boot parameter, "nomodeset"--I believe they
have already phased out support for Intel, but still have some code
support for AMD which you have, I would still try that boot parameter to
see what happens. You will need to search the internet to find out
about the parameter "nomodeset". I don't consider using "nomodeset" as
a solution, but rather as a way to gather a data point or work around a
problem.

I would suggest trying one kernel boot parameter at a time, with the
hope of better isolating what is happening if a parameter seems to work.

If you discover a kernel boot parameter that acts as a workaround, it
may or may not provide a clue, to start isolating what is happening.

I would also look at the /var/log/messages for clues what was happening
a little before the failure/panic...you may hate me for suggesting
looking at /var/log/messages, sometimes there is nothing there and
sometimes there is too much there.

If you find a kernel boot parameter that works around the problem,
you will need to decide whether or not to write a bugzilla bug report.
If you do not find a kernel boot parameter, you may still wish to write
a bugzilla bug report. A bugzilla bug report is the way, I believe,
for communcating problems with the maintainers. I hope they ask you for
information, and I hope they suggest how to get what they ask for.
I would encourage you to write a bugzilla bug report, unless the problem
is a hardware failure, in which case, I don't know what to do.
Sometimes, if a problem is a hardware failure, nothing can be done.
Sometimes, if a problem is a hardware failure, the software can be more
graceful when the problem happens.

I would also look at other sections of the web page,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
in case a section suggests something else worth trying.

Even though I said it before, it is worth repeating, some kernel boot
parameters may make matters worse. Please be careful.

Another question please: does the Fedora kernel fail during boot -or-
does the Fedora kernel fail after a few hours -or- does the Fedora
kernel fail while something is being done (perhaps specific programs are
running--cron job or program you start?). If a pattern for the failure
can be identified, it may be easier to isolate the failure.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM

---- Rick Sewill <rsewill@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> is a hardware failure, in which case, I don't know what to do.
> Sometimes, if a problem is a hardware failure, nothing can be done.
> Sometimes, if a problem is a hardware failure, the software can be more
> graceful when the problem happens.
>
> I would also look at other sections of the web page,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> in case a section suggests something else worth trying.
>
> Even though I said it before, it is worth repeating, some kernel boot
> parameters may make matters worse. Please be careful.
>
> Another question please: does the Fedora kernel fail during boot -or-
> does the Fedora kernel fail after a few hours -or- does the Fedora
> kernel fail while something is being done (perhaps specific programs are
> running--cron job or program you start?). If a pattern for the failure
> can be identified, it may be easier to isolate the failure.

Rick, thanks to you and Cam for pointing me to the Kernel Common Problems link. I'll start working my way through that. I have been looking in the messages log and have not found anything that looked informative. So far, the computer has frozen or crashed in every situation you listed, during boot up, after a few minutes, and after a few hours. It seemed to freeze while running yum, but it froze when not running yum as well. In other words, I haven't been able to detect a pattern so far. I'm willing to replace the motherboard, but I want to know that's the source of the problem before I do. I've suspected other pieces of hardware along the way, but replacing them has not changed anything yet.This has been aggravating.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 AM
JD

On 07/05/2010 03:07 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> [<c041d044>] ? native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46
>>> [<c0441306>] warn_slow_path_null+0x12/0x15
>>> [<c041d044>] native_smp_sned_reschedule+0x23/0x46
>>> [<c042dbac>] resched_task_0x5c/0x5f
>>> [<c042dc0d>] check_preempt_curr_idle+0x13/0x15
>>> [<c042c1b1>] check_preempt_curr+0x15/0x18
>>> [<c043d85a>] try_to_wake_up+0x14/0x34
>>> [<c043d915>] default_wake_function+0x14/0x34
>>> [<c042d1e7>] __wake_up_comon_0x39/0x61
>>> [<c0433437>] __wake_up+0x23/0x40
>>> [<c0441a09>] printk_tick+0x37/0x3a
>>> [<c044e8f5>] update_process_times+0x37/0x48
>>> [<c045df9c>] __run_hrtimer_0xa0/0xef
>>> [<c0466dd6>] ? tick_sched_timer_0x0,0xa0
>>> [<c045e1ec>] hrtimer_interrupt_0xe0/0x1d5
>>> [<c041e019>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt_0x68/0x7b
>>> [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
>>> [<c07a451c>] ? panic+0xc7/0xe7
>>> [<c07a7056>] oops_end+0x97/0xa6
>>> [<c04273f8>] no_context+0x13b/ox145
>>> [<c04274ee>] __bad_area_nosemaphore+0xec/0xf4
>>> [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault+0x0/0x29f
>>> [<c0427588>] bad_area_nosemaphore+0x13/0x15
>>> [<c07a88c9>] do_page_fault_0x139/0x29f
>>> [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault_0x0/0x29f
>>> [<c07a6693>] error_code+0x73/0x78
>>> [<c044e29b>] ? run_timer_softirq+0xd8/0x1f0
>>> [<c04479ca>] __do_softirq_0xb1/0x157
>>> [<c0447aa6>] do_softirq_0x36/0x41
>>> [<c0447b99>] irq_exit_0x2e/0x61
>>> [<c041e01e>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x6d/0x7b
>>> [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
>>> ---[ end trace 65e050a46d3d088c ]---
>>>
>>> I typed these from the screen, so I cannot swear for the accuracy of every character. I've looked for these type of messages in the message log and the /var/log directory, but haven't found them. I don't see any indications of why it freezes in the message log when it does. I looked for core files in a few places but found none.
>>>
>>> I doubt I've given enough info to pinpoint the source of the problem. So my questions revolve around how to troubleshoot this problem. Where would I look for usable information? What experiments could I try that might point to the source of the problem? Would a core file help? If so, how do I get the system to generate one? How do I figure this one out?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Andrew Robinson
>>>
>> Is the panic output the same every time? i.e. is it always the apic timer?
>> If it is, it sounds like you might have a hardware proplem on the
>> motherboard.
>>
>> By the way, which fedora version have you installed?
>> If not F13, have you tried F13, and then done a full update?
>> --
> Since I have not been able to capture the output of the panics, I don't know if it fails in the same place every time. That was intended to be one of my questions. How do I capture the panic output? When it just freezes, how do I find info on why?
>
> Yes, I tried Fedora 13 first. When I ran into the problems, I tried Fedora 12. When I experienced the same freezes and panics, I decided it was not version specific.
>
> Thanks. Please keep the questions coming.

I would start by eliminating as many davices as you can, but still be
able to boot linux and have a console.
One thing you might try is eliminate the graphics card and use the
serial port which you connect, via a null modem cable to a second PC -
where you can then run minicom on the second port's pc to capture the
failing pc's output. minicom allows you to capture everything into a file.
If you do not have any PCI cards and all your devices are built into the
motherboard, you might then try to disable them in BIOS if your BIOS
provides such a feature. For examle, some BIOS'es let you disable USB
chipsets, or disable the raid and use the plain or plain sata.
Hopefully you get some more info.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 AM
JD

On 07/05/2010 06:44 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> [...]
>> running--cron job or program you start?). If a pattern for the failure
>> can be identified, it may be easier to isolate the failure.
>>
> Rick, thanks to you and Cam for pointing me to the Kernel Common Problems link. I'll start working my way through that. I have been looking in the messages log and have not found anything that looked informative. So far, the computer has frozen or crashed in every situation you listed, during boot up, after a few minutes, and after a few hours. It seemed to freeze while running yum, but it froze when not running yum as well. In other words, I haven't been able to detect a pattern so far. I'm willing to replace the motherboard, but I want to know that's the source of the problem before I do. I've suspected other pieces of hardware along the way, but replacing them has not changed anything yet.This has been aggravating.

Have you booted it into single user mode?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 AM

---- JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 06:44 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> > ---- Rick Sewill<rsewill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you booted it into single user mode?

I have not. At least, I haven't since I was trouble shooting issues with disk drives that are no longer in the system. What would I do in single user mode to trouble shoot the current problem?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 AM
JD

On 07/05/2010 07:28 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> ---- JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you booted it into single user mode?
>>
> I have not. At least, I haven't since I was trouble shooting issues with disk drives that are no longer in the system. What would I do in single user mode to trouble shoot the current problem?

See if it will freeze!!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Kam Leo

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> *On 07/05/2010 07:28 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
>> ---- JD<jd1008@gmail.com> *wrote:

>>> Have you booted it into single user mode?
>>>
>> I have not. At least, I haven't since I was trouble shooting issues with disk drives that are no longer in the system. What would I do in single user mode to trouble shoot the current problem?
>>

> See if it will freeze!!

If problems still persist other things to check:

1. Revert to default BIOS settings
2. Dusted off your computer
3. Re-seat all connections
4. Verify all fans are in working order
5. Run with external peripherals, e.g. USB drives. disconnected

Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 AM
JD

On 07/05/2010 08:23 PM, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have not. At least, I haven't since I was trouble shooting issues with disk drives that are no longer in the system. What would I do in single user mode to trouble shoot the current problem?
>>>

>> See if it will freeze!!
> If problems still persist other things to check:
>
> 1. Revert to default BIOS settings
> 2. Dusted off your computer
> 3. Re-seat all connections
> 4. Verify all fans are in working order
> 5. Run with external peripherals, e.g. USB drives. disconnected
You might also try these HW test programs:
http://www.testmyhardware.com/

Unfortunately, it is for windows. It is not clear to me how
any exhaustive hardware test can be conducted while windows is booted.

You can also try to download and build inquisitor from source:
ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus/files/SRPMS/inquisitor-standalone-3.1-alt0.svn1418.src.rpm

Unfortunately, the fedora distro does no provide this very important tool.