FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems. I put a new hard drive in the box and tried Fedora 13 and now Fedora 12. It seems to freeze at random or panic. I suspect hardware or a driver. I've been pulling cards, but it seems to happen regardless of what combination I have in the box. I've tried Gnome, KDE, and now init 3, but it seems to happen with the same frequency. I left it on last night and found these messages on the screen this morning:

[<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x31/0x38
[drm:drm_fb_helper_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text console
-------------------[ cut here ]--------------
WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/smp.c:117 native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46()
Hardware name: TF520-A2+06a/0x01
Modules linked in hwmon_vid sunrpc cpufreq_ondemand powernow_k8 ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 ip5table_filter ip6_tables ipv6 dm_multipath uinput snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_pcm snd_timer ppdev parport_pc snd parport soundcore r8169 snd_page_alloc i2c_nforce2 k8temp mii ata_generic pata_acpi pata_amd nouveau ttm drm_kms_helper drm i2c_algo_bit i2c_core [last uploaded: i2c_dev]
Pid: 1517, comm: abrtd Tainted: G D 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686.PAE #1
Call Trace:
[<c04412dd>] warn_slowpath_common
[<c041d044>] ? native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46
[<c0441306>] warn_slow_path_null+0x12/0x15
[<c041d044>] native_smp_sned_reschedule+0x23/0x46
[<c042dbac>] resched_task_0x5c/0x5f
[<c042dc0d>] check_preempt_curr_idle+0x13/0x15
[<c042c1b1>] check_preempt_curr+0x15/0x18
[<c043d85a>] try_to_wake_up+0x14/0x34
[<c043d915>] default_wake_function+0x14/0x34
[<c042d1e7>] __wake_up_comon_0x39/0x61
[<c0433437>] __wake_up+0x23/0x40
[<c0441a09>] printk_tick+0x37/0x3a
[<c044e8f5>] update_process_times+0x37/0x48
[<c045df9c>] __run_hrtimer_0xa0/0xef
[<c0466dd6>] ? tick_sched_timer_0x0,0xa0
[<c045e1ec>] hrtimer_interrupt_0xe0/0x1d5
[<c041e019>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt_0x68/0x7b
[<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
[<c07a451c>] ? panic+0xc7/0xe7
[<c07a7056>] oops_end+0x97/0xa6
[<c04273f8>] no_context+0x13b/ox145
[<c04274ee>] __bad_area_nosemaphore+0xec/0xf4
[<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault+0x0/0x29f
[<c0427588>] bad_area_nosemaphore+0x13/0x15
[<c07a88c9>] do_page_fault_0x139/0x29f
[<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault_0x0/0x29f
[<c07a6693>] error_code+0x73/0x78
[<c044e29b>] ? run_timer_softirq+0xd8/0x1f0
[<c04479ca>] __do_softirq_0xb1/0x157
[<c0447aa6>] do_softirq_0x36/0x41
[<c0447b99>] irq_exit_0x2e/0x61
[<c041e01e>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x6d/0x7b
[<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
---[ end trace 65e050a46d3d088c ]---

I typed these from the screen, so I cannot swear for the accuracy of every character. I've looked for these type of messages in the message log and the /var/log directory, but haven't found them. I don't see any indications of why it freezes in the message log when it does. I looked for core files in a few places but found none.

I doubt I've given enough info to pinpoint the source of the problem. So my questions revolve around how to troubleshoot this problem. Where would I look for usable information? What experiments could I try that might point to the source of the problem? Would a core file help? If so, how do I get the system to generate one? How do I figure this one out?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
JD
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

On 07/05/2010 01:27 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems. I put a new hard drive in the box and tried Fedora 13 and now Fedora 12. It seems to freeze at random or panic. I suspect hardware or a driver. I've been pulling cards, but it seems to happen regardless of what combination I have in the box. I've tried Gnome, KDE, and now init 3, but it seems to happen with the same frequency. I left it on last night and found these messages on the screen this morning:
>
> [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x31/0x38
> [drm:drm_fb_helper_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text console
> -------------------[ cut here ]--------------
> WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/smp.c:117 native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46()
> Hardware name: TF520-A2+06a/0x01
> Modules linked in hwmon_vid sunrpc cpufreq_ondemand powernow_k8 ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 ip5table_filter ip6_tables ipv6 dm_multipath uinput snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_pcm snd_timer ppdev parport_pc snd parport soundcore r8169 snd_page_alloc i2c_nforce2 k8temp mii ata_generic pata_acpi pata_amd nouveau ttm drm_kms_helper drm i2c_algo_bit i2c_core [last uploaded: i2c_dev]
> Pid: 1517, comm: abrtd Tainted: G D 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686.PAE #1
> Call Trace:
> [<c04412dd>] warn_slowpath_common
> [<c041d044>] ? native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46
> [<c0441306>] warn_slow_path_null+0x12/0x15
> [<c041d044>] native_smp_sned_reschedule+0x23/0x46
> [<c042dbac>] resched_task_0x5c/0x5f
> [<c042dc0d>] check_preempt_curr_idle+0x13/0x15
> [<c042c1b1>] check_preempt_curr+0x15/0x18
> [<c043d85a>] try_to_wake_up+0x14/0x34
> [<c043d915>] default_wake_function+0x14/0x34
> [<c042d1e7>] __wake_up_comon_0x39/0x61
> [<c0433437>] __wake_up+0x23/0x40
> [<c0441a09>] printk_tick+0x37/0x3a
> [<c044e8f5>] update_process_times+0x37/0x48
> [<c045df9c>] __run_hrtimer_0xa0/0xef
> [<c0466dd6>] ? tick_sched_timer_0x0,0xa0
> [<c045e1ec>] hrtimer_interrupt_0xe0/0x1d5
> [<c041e019>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt_0x68/0x7b
> [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
> [<c07a451c>] ? panic+0xc7/0xe7
> [<c07a7056>] oops_end+0x97/0xa6
> [<c04273f8>] no_context+0x13b/ox145
> [<c04274ee>] __bad_area_nosemaphore+0xec/0xf4
> [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault+0x0/0x29f
> [<c0427588>] bad_area_nosemaphore+0x13/0x15
> [<c07a88c9>] do_page_fault_0x139/0x29f
> [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault_0x0/0x29f
> [<c07a6693>] error_code+0x73/0x78
> [<c044e29b>] ? run_timer_softirq+0xd8/0x1f0
> [<c04479ca>] __do_softirq_0xb1/0x157
> [<c0447aa6>] do_softirq_0x36/0x41
> [<c0447b99>] irq_exit_0x2e/0x61
> [<c041e01e>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x6d/0x7b
> [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
> ---[ end trace 65e050a46d3d088c ]---
>
> I typed these from the screen, so I cannot swear for the accuracy of every character. I've looked for these type of messages in the message log and the /var/log directory, but haven't found them. I don't see any indications of why it freezes in the message log when it does. I looked for core files in a few places but found none.
>
> I doubt I've given enough info to pinpoint the source of the problem. So my questions revolve around how to troubleshoot this problem. Where would I look for usable information? What experiments could I try that might point to the source of the problem? Would a core file help? If so, how do I get the system to generate one? How do I figure this one out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Robinson
>
Is the panic output the same every time? i.e. is it always the apic timer?
If it is, it sounds like you might have a hardware proplem on the
motherboard.

By the way, which fedora version have you installed?
If not F13, have you tried F13, and then done a full update?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

On 07/05/2010 01:27:01 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP
> running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems. I
> put a new hard drive in the box and tried Fedora 13 and now Fedora
> 12.
[snip]

Andrew, you have not provided nearly enough info.

First, stick with Fedora 13. That's what most of us will be using.

First, what harware are you running? MB, CPU, GPU, memory (how much) in
particular.

Second, what HD are you using?

Third, where did you get your Fedora? D/L, DVD, ...

You might wish to try Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org)
and the DVD validator that came with the dvd, if that's the case. You
might also want to try the mfg's disk diagnostics as well. Start from
scratch.

You're getting a kernel panic, so it's likely that there's something in
your hardware that is inappropiate for the kernel that was installed.

Good luck.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

---- JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 01:27 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> > I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems. I put a new hard drive in the box and tried Fedora 13 and now Fedora 12. It seems to freeze at random or panic. I suspect hardware or a driver. I've been pulling cards, but it seems to happen regardless of what combination I have in the box. I've tried Gnome, KDE, and now init 3, but it seems to happen with the same frequency. I left it on last night and found these messages on the screen this morning:
> >
> > [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x31/0x38
> > [drm:drm_fb_helper_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text console
> > -------------------[ cut here ]--------------
> > WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/smp.c:117 native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46()
> > Hardware name: TF520-A2+06a/0x01
> > Modules linked in hwmon_vid sunrpc cpufreq_ondemand powernow_k8 ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 ip5table_filter ip6_tables ipv6 dm_multipath uinput snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_pcm snd_timer ppdev parport_pc snd parport soundcore r8169 snd_page_alloc i2c_nforce2 k8temp mii ata_generic pata_acpi pata_amd nouveau ttm drm_kms_helper drm i2c_algo_bit i2c_core [last uploaded: i2c_dev]
> > Pid: 1517, comm: abrtd Tainted: G D 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686.PAE #1
> > Call Trace:
> > [<c04412dd>] warn_slowpath_common
> > [<c041d044>] ? native_smp_send_reschedule+0x23/0x46
> > [<c0441306>] warn_slow_path_null+0x12/0x15
> > [<c041d044>] native_smp_sned_reschedule+0x23/0x46
> > [<c042dbac>] resched_task_0x5c/0x5f
> > [<c042dc0d>] check_preempt_curr_idle+0x13/0x15
> > [<c042c1b1>] check_preempt_curr+0x15/0x18
> > [<c043d85a>] try_to_wake_up+0x14/0x34
> > [<c043d915>] default_wake_function+0x14/0x34
> > [<c042d1e7>] __wake_up_comon_0x39/0x61
> > [<c0433437>] __wake_up+0x23/0x40
> > [<c0441a09>] printk_tick+0x37/0x3a
> > [<c044e8f5>] update_process_times+0x37/0x48
> > [<c045df9c>] __run_hrtimer_0xa0/0xef
> > [<c0466dd6>] ? tick_sched_timer_0x0,0xa0
> > [<c045e1ec>] hrtimer_interrupt_0xe0/0x1d5
> > [<c041e019>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt_0x68/0x7b
> > [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
> > [<c07a451c>] ? panic+0xc7/0xe7
> > [<c07a7056>] oops_end+0x97/0xa6
> > [<c04273f8>] no_context+0x13b/ox145
> > [<c04274ee>] __bad_area_nosemaphore+0xec/0xf4
> > [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault+0x0/0x29f
> > [<c0427588>] bad_area_nosemaphore+0x13/0x15
> > [<c07a88c9>] do_page_fault_0x139/0x29f
> > [<c07a7f98>] ? do_page_fault_0x0/0x29f
> > [<c07a6693>] error_code+0x73/0x78
> > [<c044e29b>] ? run_timer_softirq+0xd8/0x1f0
> > [<c04479ca>] __do_softirq_0xb1/0x157
> > [<c0447aa6>] do_softirq_0x36/0x41
> > [<c0447b99>] irq_exit_0x2e/0x61
> > [<c041e01e>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x6d/0x7b
> > [<c0409ab5>] apic_timer_interrupt_0x31/0x38
> > ---[ end trace 65e050a46d3d088c ]---
> >
> > I typed these from the screen, so I cannot swear for the accuracy of every character. I've looked for these type of messages in the message log and the /var/log directory, but haven't found them. I don't see any indications of why it freezes in the message log when it does. I looked for core files in a few places but found none.
> >
> > I doubt I've given enough info to pinpoint the source of the problem. So my questions revolve around how to troubleshoot this problem. Where would I look for usable information? What experiments could I try that might point to the source of the problem? Would a core file help? If so, how do I get the system to generate one? How do I figure this one out?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Andrew Robinson
> >
> Is the panic output the same every time? i.e. is it always the apic timer?
> If it is, it sounds like you might have a hardware proplem on the
> motherboard.
>
> By the way, which fedora version have you installed?
> If not F13, have you tried F13, and then done a full update?
> --

Since I have not been able to capture the output of the panics, I don't know if it fails in the same place every time. That was intended to be one of my questions. How do I capture the panic output? When it just freezes, how do I find info on why?

Yes, I tried Fedora 13 first. When I ran into the problems, I tried Fedora 12. When I experienced the same freezes and panics, I decided it was not version specific.

Thanks. Please keep the questions coming.

Andrew
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 01:27:01 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> > I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP
> > running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems. I
> > put a new hard drive in the box and tried Fedora 13 and now Fedora
> > 12.
> [snip]
>
> Andrew, you have not provided nearly enough info.
>
> First, stick with Fedora 13. That's what most of us will be using.
>
> First, what harware are you running? MB, CPU, GPU, memory (how much) in
> particular.
>
> Second, what HD are you using?
>
> Third, where did you get your Fedora? D/L, DVD, ...
>
> You might wish to try Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org)
> and the DVD validator that came with the dvd, if that's the case. You
> might also want to try the mfg's disk diagnostics as well. Start from
> scratch.
>
> You're getting a kernel panic, so it's likely that there's something in
> your hardware that is inappropiate for the kernel that was installed.
>

Hardware:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express
Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
(6 GB total)
Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Power supply: RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3

I would like to end up with Fedora 13. Since I saw the same problems with both versions, I figured the version of Fedora was not the problem.

Do you know if the panic info gets saved somewhere?

Thanks! Please keep the questions coming.

Andrew


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Geoffrey Leach
 
Default Help me troubleshoot this problem

On 07/05/2010 03:28:20 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
>
> ---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> > On 07/05/2010 01:27:01 PM, awrobinson-ml@nc.rr.com wrote:
> > > I am trying to install Fedora on a PC I built. I had Windows XP
> > > running on it for more than a year without any apparent problems.
<snip>
>
> Hardware:
>
> Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX
> AMD
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W
> Dual-Core Processor
> Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
> PCI
> Express
> Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> Dual Channel
> Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> Dual Channel
> (6 GB total)
> Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
> 3.5"
<snip>
I wasn't able to discover anyything about Fedora compatibility with
your Biostar MB, so you might well be in unexplored territory. It
appears that the hardware compatibility lists for Fedora are no longer
maintained, alas.

The Nvidia FOSS driver for X (NV) might be a problem for you. I suggest
you stay at runlevel 3 until your problems are resolved. If R/L 5
causes you a problem after that, try the proprietary driver. I've found
that it works well.

You didn't say where your Fedora came from. Are you sure that it's
clean?


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org