Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
fedora

Default Ext4 errror?

Hi listers

i got file system errors on a new machine (hw errors should therefore
not be an issue, also smartctl does not indicate any errors), which
holds two disks on SATA controllers. Both disks contain a fully fleged
Fedora 13, so that i can boot from either of them.

i usually boot from the first disk, and i take care not to cross-mount
the second disk or to unmount cross-mounts before hibernating.

[root@myws ~]# uname -a
Linux myws.lan 2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 11 09:38:12 UTC
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@myws ~]#

The complete log of a boot cycle follows in the next message.

The file systems error manifests itself as follows in /var/log/messages:

Jul 5 07:04:59 myws kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136802
Jul 5 07:04:59 myws kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136803

When this error occurs i can no longer do such simple things as

touch /tmp/abcd.txt

which at this time gives me "No such file or directory"

to shut down the system, i usually use the hibernate function (i.e. save
to the swap space), i mostly do not reboot the system. But then, after
some resume/thaw cycles from the swap space, the above error happens,
and i have to reboot.

when rebooting, the system goes through one ore two fsck cycles whith
"File System has been modified, reboot needed" and reboots itself.

when the system comes up after that, the above error does not happen
anymore, but i am not sure, whether the system is in the same state as
before, i.e. i am not sure, whether i have lost data.

for /dev/sda (i.e. the first disk), the setup is as follows:

[root@myws ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00080a55

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 26 204800 83 Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 26 60802 488180736 8e Linux LVM
[root@myws ~]#

[root@myws ~]# pvdisplay
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name vg_myws1
PV Size 465.57 GiB / not usable 3.00 MiB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 119184
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 119184
PV UUID GBw4su-TmW4-rLPj-v9fC-efEy-28jw-T4TGIj

[root@myws ~]#

[root@myws ~]# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name vg_myws1
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 4
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 3
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 465.56 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 119184
Alloc PE / Size 119184 / 465.56 GiB
Free PE / Size 0 / 0
VG UUID ArnNRu-PQ9J-Lb4L-V4b6-4uBh-qhOZ-1W3F3D

[root@myws ~]#

[root@myws ~]# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/vg_myws1/lv_data
VG Name vg_myws1
LV UUID Ogx40d-zQkZ-PFfQ-hIdD-70Ob-7gba-CRcifJ
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 448.56 GiB
Current LE 114832
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:5

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/vg_myws1/lv_root
VG Name vg_myws1
LV UUID VPRf8n-AjVk-Pk5g-9oGx-ia6H-KE1D-u8fve2
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 11.72 GiB
Current LE 3000
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/vg_myws1/lv_swap
VG Name vg_myws1
LV UUID bvdAEw-7Afa-oYak-PYpQ-cTpL-BBhq-RUqFHj
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 5.28 GiB
Current LE 1352
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:1

[root@myws ~]#

As you can see from the boot-log, the system has 4 CPUs, which made me
think that this is a "write barriers" issue, but from kernel 2.6.31 on,
write barriers in multi processor systems should pose no problems any more.

questions:
1. is this a heavy issue, i.e. does this "error" corrupt my system with
time?

2. what can i do to avoid this ext4 error, it it were an error? going
back to ext3 is considered no solution.

thanks for any hints.

suomi

Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Bill Davidsen

fedora wrote:
> Hi listers
>
> i got file system errors on a new machine (hw errors should therefore
> not be an issue, also smartctl does not indicate any errors), which
> holds two disks on SATA controllers. Both disks contain a fully fleged
> Fedora 13, so that i can boot from either of them.
>
> i usually boot from the first disk, and i take care not to cross-mount
> the second disk or to unmount cross-mounts before hibernating.
>
> [root@myws ~]# uname -a
> Linux myws.lan 2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 11 09:38:12 UTC
> 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [root@myws ~]#
>
> The complete log of a boot cycle follows in the next message.
>
> The file systems error manifests itself as follows in /var/log/messages:
>

> Jul 5 07:04:59 myws kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
> ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136802
> Jul 5 07:04:59 myws kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
> ext4_free_inode: bit already cleared for inode 136803
>

> When this error occurs i can no longer do such simple things as
>
> touch /tmp/abcd.txt
>
> which at this time gives me "No such file or directory"
>
> to shut down the system, i usually use the hibernate function (i.e. save
> to the swap space), i mostly do not reboot the system. But then, after
> some resume/thaw cycles from the swap space, the above error happens,
> and i have to reboot.
>
> when rebooting, the system goes through one ore two fsck cycles whith
> "File System has been modified, reboot needed" and reboots itself.
>
> when the system comes up after that, the above error does not happen
> anymore, but i am not sure, whether the system is in the same state as
> before, i.e. i am not sure, whether i have lost data.
>

> As you can see from the boot-log, the system has 4 CPUs, which made me
> think that this is a "write barriers" issue, but from kernel 2.6.31 on,
> write barriers in multi processor systems should pose no problems any more.
>

> questions:
> 1. is this a heavy issue, i.e. does this "error" corrupt my system with
> time?
>
> 2. what can i do to avoid this ext4 error, it it were an error? going
> back to ext3 is considered no solution.
>
> thanks for any hints.

You have multiple boot drives, LVM, barriers with SMP, and repeated hibernate.
You didn't mention compiling with suspend2 patches (or whatever it's called
today), have you done that, too? I would start by not hibernating and seeing if
that's the issue, turn off barriers and see if that's the issue. Right now you
call this an ext4 problem, but I've been running TB of storage on ext4 since the
early FC9 days, and not having issues. But stock hibernate has issues on some of
my machines, barrier code is still changing and has had issues with SMP in the
past, and LVM is really not needed unless things are likely to change (and adds
overhead, and possibly has issues with barriers).

I have the feeling that you have an overly high ratio of solution to problem on
the complexity scale.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
fedora

Hi Bill
on July 5 you replied kindly on my message.
The last few days i mean to have solved the problem by facing out LVM.
As you said LVM adds considerable overhead and makes the system error
prone. What previousely has been on an lv is now on a real partition.
Serial disk access is now twice as fast as with LVM, you see that when
resuming from hibernation: 116 MB/s as opposed to 60 MB/s

suomi

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>

Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Don't hijack threads. Just because you changed the Subject line it
doesn't make it OK.

poc