-   -   How to easily create GUI app (for non-programmers)? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/395043-how-easily-create-gui-app-non-programmers.html)

Valent Turkovic 07-05-2010 08:27 AM

How to easily create GUI app (for non-programmers)?

Hi,
I'm looking for ways of creating simple apps and I'm not a coder. I
saw fer projects that could help me do this but would really like to
hear you if you have done something with some of them or if you have
better suggestion.

xdialog [1]
Pros: with it you can create simple UI from bash scripts, dialogs,
different lists and wizards...
Cons: "retro" looking UI, not active as a project.

zenity [2]
Pros: nice looking UI, with it you can create GUI versions of your
bash scripts, dialogs, different lists...
Cons: can't create single window wizard

autoglade [3]
Pros: most powerful of the bunch, creates GTK gui on the fly
Cons: No Fedora package?

Has anybody tried and done something with autoglade or some other?
Autoglade seams most powerful and flexible but there is no Fedora
package :(
Is there anything better but still simple to use?

[1] http://xdialog.free.fr
[2] http://library.gnome.org/users/zenity/stable/zenity-usage.html.en
[3] http://dtmilano.blogspot.com/2008/08/introduction-this-article-will-guide.html

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
blog: http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com

Kwan Lowe 07-05-2010 12:33 PM

How to easily create GUI app (for non-programmers)?

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for ways of creating simple apps and I'm not a coder. I
> saw fer projects that could help me do this but would really like to
> hear you if you have done something with some of them or if you have
> better suggestion.
[snip]

There are many, but their ease depends on what you consider to be
"coding". All of the prettier ones require that you at least know how
to pull in a library. You can get some rather quick results with
Java/Swing, KDevelop and the Glade tools. The tutorials on Swing, for
example, let you create a stub application where you can just plug in
your own code. Same with KDevelop. It has a tutorial that goes through
creating a "Hello, World" app and other examples with the standard
widgets. You can also try tcl/tk, but that interface looks dated.