Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 AM
anees a a

Default bootloader lost

I had fedora installed on system
i installed windows7 after that
now i lost bootloader of fedora & i cant access fedora now
there is no option of live cd in fedora installation disk
but only rescue installed system option

pls suggest solutions to boot fedora

Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 07/04/2010 11:39 PM, anees a a wrote:
> I had fedora installed on system
> i installed windows7 after that
> now i lost bootloader of fedora & i cant access fedora now
> there is no option of live cd in fedora installation disk
> but only rescue installed system option
> pls suggest solutions to boot fedora

Boot the CD in RESCUE mode, and re-install the grub boot loader.
If Windows didn't overwrite your partitions, you just need to re-setup
your bootloader.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 AM
anees a a

how to reinstall boot loader in rescue mode

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 07/05/2010 12:29 AM, anees a a wrote:

> how to reinstall boot loader in rescue mode

First you need to find your old disk partitions, and mount them under
/mnt/sysimage

second, chroot to /mnt/sysimage

third run grub-install with the appropriate arguments for you system to
re-install grub

Read the man pages on the appropriate commands to be sure what you will
need to use as arguments to these commands.

If you can't successfully install grub under the chroot, you may need to
determine the correct partitions and use the --root-directory option
outside the chroot.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Joachim Backes

On 07/05/10 06:29, anees a a wrote:

> how to reinstall boot loader in rescue mode

after having started the rescue mode (don't forget "chroot
/mnt/sysimage"), enter
"grub-install ..... /dev/sda" for example.
/dev/sda is disk which should contain the bootloader.

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Jurek Bajor

> how to reinstall boot loader in rescue mode

Hi,
search Google: fedora rescue mode
http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/158-System-Recovery-Week-Rescue-Mode-and-Reinstalling-Grub.html

Jurek

Old 07-05-2010, 04:46 AM
JD

When you boot in recue mode, let it mount the fedora partion.
I think it mounts it as /mnt/system....

what you do is

chroot /mnt/system....

then

grub-install --recheck

and take it from there

Old 07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 09:09 +0530, anees a a wrote:
> I had fedora installed on system
> i installed windows7 after that
> now i lost bootloader of fedora & i cant access fedora now
> there is no option of live cd in fedora installation disk
> but only rescue installed system option
> pls suggest solutions to boot fedora

This is a common occurrence scince Windows replaces the fedora boot..
You need to go into rescue mode if you have a DVD and mount your boot
partition, chroot to that partition and run grub-install after adding :

title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
for booting the Win 7.

hd0,0 may have to be changed depending where you put the Win 7.