Old 07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Question on /etc/hosts

Should the entry from the machine in question
be given under 127.0.0.1
or under its IP address on the local LAN?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/04/2010 10:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Should the entry from the machine in question
> be given under 127.0.0.1
> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

127.0.0.1 should only have localhost stuff

associate the IP with hostname

gene/

Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Doron Bar Zeev

On 07/04/2010 10:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Should the entry from the machine in question

> be given under 127.0.0.1

> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

*127.0.0.1 should only have localhost stuff

I'm don't think so.
[doron@doronpc /]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1** *doronpc.doron.home** *localhost.localdomain** *localhost
*

Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Robert Myers

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Doron Bar Zeev <doronbr770@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/04/2010 10:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Should the entry from the machine in question

> be given under 127.0.0.1

> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

*127.0.0.1 should only have localhost stuff

I'm don't think so.
[doron@doronpc /]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1** *doronpc.doron.home** *localhost.localdomain** *localhost
*

which is three different ways of referring to localhost, all on the same line for the loopback address, 127.0.0.1, which is exclusively for the use of the local machine.

All other machines will have a line with a subnet address and one or more aliases by which the machine that uses that address might be known:
192.168.1.13 someotherbox someotherbox.localdomain

or similar.
Robert.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Gregory Woodbury

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

Should the entry from the machine in question

be given under 127.0.0.1

or under its IP address on the local LAN?

127.0.0.1***** localhost*** localhost.localdomain
w.x.y.z

Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Gregory Woodbury

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

Should the entry from the machine in question

be given under 127.0.0.1

or under its IP address on the local LAN?

127.0.0.1 * * localhost * * * localhost.localdomain
w.x.y.z * * * ** hostname * * hostname.do.mai.ne

--

G.Wolfe Woodbury
*

Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 15:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Should the entry from the machine in question
> be given under 127.0.0.1
> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

I have both in my /etc/hosts file..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 15:34 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Should the entry from the machine in question
> be given under 127.0.0.1
> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

It always had been that the local loopback line should only have local
loopback addresses, and that other host names should be separate.
Putting hostnames in the local loopback line has caused problems in the
past, and may still do so. localhost should be the first name after the
IP, so that queries for what is 127.0.0.1 would return localhost
(exactly), not something else.

For some reason, some releases ago, Fedora started putting the hostname
in that line. I've yet to see a good reason for it, only silly reasons.

If your machine is given an address by DHCP and there is a DNS server
resolving these addresses, you do not need to put anything in the hosts
file for the machines address. Indeed you SHOULD NOT if the machine
will be given different addresses at any time.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Joel Rees

On Jul 4, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Should the entry from the machine in question
> be given under 127.0.0.1
> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

Uhm, Yes?

I've done both in the past, and both at the same time. Fedora
currently seems to work okay with only one of those specified, I'm
currently putting the host's own name and aliases only on the
127.0.0.1 line, before localhost.

Actually, I'm not sure if I did that or if anaconda did that for me.
But it seems to function okay.

I've put localhost at the front of the list in the past as well. I
haven't tried it recently, don't remember what problems I had or
whether I knew why when the problems went away.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to tell a host who it is when
assigning DHCP, without using internal DNS. It seems like a waste to
run a local name server on every portable machine I have, just so it
doesn't forget who it is when it's on the road.

Joel Rees

Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Timothy Murphy

Joel Rees wrote:

>> Should the entry from the machine in question
>> be given under 127.0.0.1
>> or under its IP address on the local LAN?
>
> I've done both in the past, and both at the same time. Fedora
> currently seems to work okay with only one of those specified, I'm
> currently putting the host's own name and aliases only on the
> 127.0.0.1 line, before localhost.
>
> Actually, I'm not sure if I did that or if anaconda did that for me.
> But it seems to function okay.

I've followed the general advice here,
and gone over to using the local IP address with the machine name.

One advantage of this is that I can then have exactly the same
/etc/hosts on all machines, which saves a bit of time.