Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default Can't ssh?

I have a computer with an on-board video that seems to have failed?
The monitor works on another computer so that would seem to indicate
a component failure and now I find that I can't ssh into it from
either of my two other computers. I do "ssh 192.168.1.48" and it
comes up "connection refused."

I know I should have checked this before but it's a detail I missed.
It is still running as an NFS server and it usually comes right back
up if shut down for a power failure but I am uneasy about this.

Any suggestions? it is running Scientific Linux 5.3, has been
reliable otherwise and I rarely ever need to look at the display but
when I tried to check something this afternoon I discovered this.

Bob

Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 AM
JD

On 07/03/2010 06:29 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have a computer with an on-board video that seems to have failed?
> The monitor works on another computer so that would seem to indicate
> a component failure and now I find that I can't ssh into it from
> either of my two other computers. I do "ssh 192.168.1.48" and it
> comes up "connection refused."
>

> I know I should have checked this before but it's a detail I missed.
> It is still running as an NFS server and it usually comes right back
> up if shut down for a power failure but I am uneasy about this.
>
> Any suggestions? it is running Scientific Linux 5.3, has been
> reliable otherwise and I rarely ever need to look at the display but
> when I tried to check something this afternoon I discovered this.
>
> Bob
>

> --

Can you "miniterm" into it (connect serial null modem cable
from your screenless computer to the good working computer).?
I assume you have getty running on some serial port(s)?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 21:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have a computer with an on-board video that seems to have failed?
> The monitor works on another computer so that would seem to indicate
> a component failure and now I find that I can't ssh into it from
> either of my two other computers. I do "ssh 192.168.1.48" and it
> comes up "connection refused."
>

> I know I should have checked this before but it's a detail I missed.
> It is still running as an NFS server and it usually comes right back
> up if shut down for a power failure but I am uneasy about this.
>
> Any suggestions? it is running Scientific Linux 5.3, has been
> reliable otherwise and I rarely ever need to look at the display but
> when I tried to check something this afternoon I discovered this.
>
> Bob
>

> --

Have you checked the contents of .ssh/.known_hosts to see if the key has
changed.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Robert Myers

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:

> * *I do "ssh 192.168.1.48" and it

> * * comes up "connection refused."

Have you checked the contents of .ssh/.known_hosts to see if the key has

changed.

If there is a problem with known hosts, the error message indicates that the problem would be in the known hosts file of the machine being connected to, and the solution, in most cases, would be to use a previously unused IP address from the same subnetwork to attempt a login.

If you're using DHCP or if you've upgraded the OS on the box you're trying to use for the login, that could be the problem.
Robert.