Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default changing default "movie player?"

Where is the default movie player set? I've been messing with this
problem for more than an hour and can't seem to get it done. There
must be a file somewhere I can modify directly?

I don't understand why it isn't left as a user choice anyway?

Bob

Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 AM
"Rikke D. Giles"

On 07/03/2010 05:58:17 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Where is the default movie player set?

In gnome it's on the multimedia tab under system -> preferences ->
preferred applications. No idea where it is with KDE.

Rikke

Old 07-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 03/07/10 21:05, Rikke D. Giles wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 05:58:17 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Where is the default movie player set?
>>

> In gnome it's on the multimedia tab under system -> preferences ->
> preferred applications. No idea where it is with KDE.
>
> Rikke

I changed it there to no avail. I still have to save clips to play
them with VLC which works without a fuss. I don't need it often but
when I do I don't want to jump through hoops ... I normally use XFCE
but switched back to Gnome to make that change. It hasn't worked.

I am running F-13 if that makes a difference.

Bob

Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 AM
JD

On 07/03/2010 05:58 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Where is the default movie player set? I've been messing with this
> problem for more than an hour and can't seem to get it done. There
> must be a file somewhere I can modify directly?
>
> I don't understand why it isn't left as a user choice anyway?
>
> Bob
>
> --

See all these:
$HOME/.mailcap
/etc/mailcap
/usr/etc/mailcap
/usr/local/etc/mailcap

Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 21:14 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 03/07/10 21:05, Rikke D. Giles wrote:
> > On 07/03/2010 05:58:17 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> Where is the default movie player set?
> >>

> > In gnome it's on the multimedia tab under system -> preferences ->
> > preferred applications. No idea where it is with KDE.
> >
> > Rikke
> >

> I changed it there to no avail. I still have to save clips to play
> them with VLC which works without a fuss. I don't need it often but
> when I do I don't want to jump through hoops ... I normally use XFCE
> but switched back to Gnome to make that change. It hasn't worked.

It's not clear from your post exactly what situation you're talking
about. If you mean the result of clicking on a video link in a web
browser, you need to configure the browser. If not, please explain in
more detail.

poc

Old 07-04-2010, 02:25 AM
JD

> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 21:14 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> In gnome it's on the multimedia tab under system -> preferences ->
>>> preferred applications. No idea where it is with KDE.
>>>
>>> Rikke
>>>
>> I changed it there to no avail. I still have to save clips to play
>> them with VLC which works without a fuss. I don't need it often but
>> when I do I don't want to jump through hoops ... I normally use XFCE
>> but switched back to Gnome to make that change. It hasn't worked.
> It's not clear from your post exactly what situation you're talking
> about. If you mean the result of clicking on a video link in a web
> browser, you need to configure the browser. If not, please explain in
> more detail.
>
> poc

I thought he was taking about clicking on a video file icon either
on the Desktop or in the gnome file browser.
And I agree, changing the System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications
to change the multimedia handler did not work for me either.
After I changed it to /usr/bin/smplayer,
right-Clicking on a video file icon on desktop brings
up the menu that has the default "totem: player - albeit,
I still have the option to "open with" some other app.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:14:52 -0400
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> On 03/07/10 21:05, Rikke D. Giles wrote:
> > On 07/03/2010 05:58:17 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> Where is the default movie player set?
> >>

> > In gnome it's on the multimedia tab under system -> preferences ->
> > preferred applications. No idea where it is with KDE.
> >
> > Rikke
> >

> I changed it there to no avail. I still have to save clips to play
> them with VLC which works without a fuss. I don't need it often
> but when I do I don't want to jump through hoops ... I normally use
> XFCE but switched back to Gnome to make that change. It hasn't worked.
>
> I am running F-13 if that makes a difference.
>
> Bob

Bob:
In xfce, right click on the file in whatever file manager, select
whatever player in the popup where you'll also get to make it the
preferred player of whatever file type. Or not.

-- cmg

Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Saturday 03 July 2010 08:21 PM, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> Bob:
> In xfce, right click on the file in whatever file manager, select
> whatever player in the popup where you'll also get to make it the
> preferred player of whatever file type. Or not.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words here is something to add to
what Carroll said above.

<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/default-applications.png>

--
Suvayu

Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 AM
"Rikke D. Giles"

On 07/03/2010 09:00:36 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Saturday 03 July 2010 08:21 PM, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > In xfce, right click on the file in whatever file manager, select
> > whatever player in the popup where you'll also get to make it the
> > preferred player of whatever file type. Or not.

> Since a picture is worth a thousand words here is something to add to
> what Carroll said above.

Interesting. I had to do this in gnome too. When I selected gnome
mplayer under the 'open with' tab (under the permissions menu when you
right click on the actual file) it finally set it for all the other
files of that type.

Is this a bug? Or is the preferred applications menu only used for
opening dvds and cd or something?

Rikke

Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 21:19 -0700, Rikke D. Giles wrote:
> is the preferred applications menu only used for opening dvds and cd
> or something?

I presume it only affects some file types. Or files called in a certain
way (e.g. through gnome-open). There's been a few comments about having
to set your default applications outside of the preferred applications
control (which seems awfully limited, only offering a few options, when
there's masses of different types that you might want to configure).

But when you right-click a certain file type, and adjust its open-with
properties, it only sets it for that file type. e.g. If you do that for
MPEG, you'd have to *separately* do the same for other similar video
file formats (AVI, FLV, etc.).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686