Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Steve

Default Can't start X on F12

I just upgraded from F11->F12 and after rebooting the display was scrambled and unusable. <Ctrl><Alt><F1> etc were unusable also - blank screen.

I booted into single user mode and found this error:

error setting MTRR (base=0xbd000000, size=0x00e00000, type=1) Inappropriate ioctl for device(25)

in a couple of the logs. I googled around and found that this problem has been reported before in bug #522258 (closed for insufficient data) and bug #564543 but I have not seen any answers.

I'm running kernel 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686 and I have an nVidia 8800GT graphics card. The xorg.conf shows me using a vesa driver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Doron Bar Zeev

I'm running kernel 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686 and I have an nVidia 8800GT graphics card. The xorg.conf shows me using a vesa driver.

try use nouveau instead of vesa

Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Steve

---- Doron Bar Zeev <doronbr770@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running kernel 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686 and I have an nVidia 8800GT
> > graphics card. The xorg.conf shows me using a vesa driver.
> >

> try use nouveau instead of vesa

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that. When I replace vesa with nv in xorg.conf an error message appears in Xorg.0.log saying

The PCI device has a kernel module claiming it.

and X can't find a screen and stops.
A strange thing that I noticed is that when I use the vesa driver, even when I boot into single user mode I get nouveau messages in /var/log/messages such as this:

[drm] nouveau 0000:04:00.0 Detected an NV50 generation card (0x092888a2).

What is an NV50 generation card? Could its driver be blocking the video driver?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 4 July 2010 15:44, Steve <zephod@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Doron Bar Zeev <doronbr770@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm running kernel 2.6.32.14-127.fc12.i686 and I have an nVidia 8800GT
>> > graphics card. The xorg.conf shows me using a vesa driver.
>> >

>> try use nouveau instead of vesa
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that. When I replace vesa with nv in xorg.conf an error message appears in Xorg.0.log saying
>
> The PCI device has a kernel module claiming it.
>
> and X can't find a screen and stops.
> A strange thing that I noticed is that when I use the vesa driver, even when I boot into single user mode I get nouveau messages in /var/log/messages such as this:
>
> [drm] nouveau 0000:04:00.0 Detected an NV50 generation card (0x092888a2).
>
> What is an NV50 generation card? Could its driver be blocking the video driver?

Errr... nv != nouveau

Try replacing the word "vesa" with "nouveau" in your Xorg.conf, then
see what happens.

--
Sam