Old 07-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Jim

Default Locking Network printer to 12.168.1.99

FC13

How would I lock the IP address of my Network Printer, Device URI:
lpd://192.168.1.99/PASSTHRU , so a Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't
change it.

This Samsung CLX3170FN will not setup as a ipp:// in FC12 or FC13, IT
prints very good as a
lpd:// setup

Everytime I turn the printer off, then on Router DHCP will reassign
1.100 or 101.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Greg Woods

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:

> Everytime I turn the printer off, then on Router DHCP will reassign
> 1.100 or 101.

This has to be set in the router's configuration. Most routers have a
web page you can go to for configuration. You would need to set the MAC
address of the printer to be assigned a static IP address, in the
router's DHCP configuration. Consult the manual that came with your
router or Google for it.

--Greg

Old 07-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
> How would I lock the IP address of my Network Printer, Device URI:
> lpd://192.168.1.99/PASSTHRU , so a Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't
> change it.

Most routers have a setting somewhere under something like "Advance
DHCP" or "DHCP Options" that will allow you to assign a fixed IP address
to a particular mac address.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Kam Leo

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> How would I lock the IP address of my Network Printer, Device URI:
>> lpd://192.168.1.99/PASSTHRU * , so a Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't
>> change it.
>
> Most routers have a setting somewhere under something like "Advance
> DHCP" or "DHCP Options" that will allow you to assign a fixed IP address
> to a particular mac address.
> --

Some routers do not support assignment of fixed (static) IP addresses.
Work around this limitation by setting a static IP address outside of
the range controlled via DHCP.

Here are the instructions lifted from the Samsung CLX-3170FN user guide:

• Static IP assignment: Use SetIP program to change the IP address
from your computer. If your machine has a control panel, you can also
change IP address using the machine's control panel.
In an office environment, we recommend that you contact a network
administrator to set this address for you.
IP setting using the control panel
1. Press Menu on the control panel until you see Network on the
bottom line of the display and press OK.
2. Press the left/right arrow until TCP/IP appears and press OK.
3. Press the left/right arrow until Static appears and press OK.
4. Press the left/right arrow until IP Address appears and press OK.
5. Enter a byte between 0 and 255 using the number keypad and press
the left/right arrow to move between bytes.
6. Repeat this to complete the address from the 1st byte to the 4th byte.
7. When you have finished, press OK.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to configure the other TCP/IP parameters:
subnet mask and gateway address.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Jim

On 07/03/2010 02:30 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
>

>> Everytime I turn the printer off, then on Router DHCP will reassign
>> 1.100 or 101.
>>

> This has to be set in the router's configuration. Most routers have a
> web page you can go to for configuration. You would need to set the MAC
> address of the printer to be assigned a static IP address, in the
> router's DHCP configuration. Consult the manual that came with your
> router or Google for it.
>
> --Greg

Well I fixed that problem, Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't let me do
it, So I Flashed the router with DD-WRT and that allowed me to assign a
IP to my Network Printers Mac#.

And now we are off and running .

Old 07-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Kam Leo

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 02:30 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>

>>> Everytime I turn the printer off, then on Router DHCP will reassign
>>> 1.100 or 101.
>>>

>> This has to be set in the router's configuration. Most routers have a
>> web page you can go to for configuration. You would need to set the MAC
>> address of the printer to be assigned a static IP address, in the
>> router's DHCP configuration. Consult the manual that came with your
>> router or Google for it.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

> Well I fixed that problem, *Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't let me do
> it, So I Flashed the router with DD-WRT and that allowed me to assign a
> IP to my Network Printers Mac#.
>
> And now we are off and running .

Until you need to replace the router or it loses power. Setting a
static IP address for each of your networked appliances is a better
solution.