Old 07-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Who switches vterms when?

I turn off rhgb so I can (maybe) see who was doing what
if the system hangs during startup or shutdown. The
startup part works fine, but someone, somewhere, insists
on switching to a totally blank vterm when I'm
doing a shutdown, so I can't see any of the messages
from services stopping, etc.

Does anyone know who is in charge of doing this switch?
Is it whatever login manager I'm using (gdm or kdm)?
Is it the X server itself? Is it plymouth?

I'm just wondering what code to look at to see if I
can maybe send in a patch to make it behave more sanely
with rhgb disabled.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 PM
JD

I turn off rhgb so I can (maybe) see who was doing what

if the system hangs during startup or shutdown. The

startup part works fine, but someone, somewhere, insists

on switching to a totally blank vterm when I'm

doing a shutdown, so I can't see any of the messages

from services stopping, etc.

Does anyone know who is in charge of doing this switch?

Is it whatever login manager I'm using (gdm or kdm)?

Is it the X server itself? Is it plymouth?

I'm just wondering what code to look at to see if I

can maybe send in a patch to make it behave more sanely

with rhgb disabled.

I ditto the question.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM
john wendel

On 07/03/2010 06:43 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I turn off rhgb so I can (maybe) see who was doing what
> if the system hangs during startup or shutdown. The
> startup part works fine, but someone, somewhere, insists
> on switching to a totally blank vterm when I'm
> doing a shutdown, so I can't see any of the messages
> from services stopping, etc.
>
> Does anyone know who is in charge of doing this switch?
> Is it whatever login manager I'm using (gdm or kdm)?
> Is it the X server itself? Is it plymouth?
>
> I'm just wondering what code to look at to see if I
> can maybe send in a patch to make it behave more sanely
> with rhgb disabled.

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but when I'm trouble
shooting startup and shutdown bugs, I always boot into run level 3 and
startx. Of course if the problem is the DM, then ...

Regards,

John