Old 07-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Marco Guazzone

Default Workspace cycle under GNOME

Hi all,

Is there a way to tell GNOME to do workspace cycle?

By "workspace cycle" I mean that the WM considers:
* the Workspace 1 as the next workspace of the Last Workspace (e.g. to
pass from Workspace 1 to the last Workspace by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow), and
* the Last Workspace as the previous workspace of the Workspace 1
(e.g., to pass from the Last Workspace to Workspace 1 by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow).

I did a search and from what I found it seems GNOME does not allow it,
but I hope this is not true

Thank you very much,

Best,

-- Marco

Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Chris Tyler

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 13:49 +0200, Marco Guazzone wrote:
> Is there a way to tell GNOME to do workspace cycle?
>
> By "workspace cycle" I mean that the WM considers:
> * the Workspace 1 as the next workspace of the Last Workspace (e.g. to
> pass from Workspace 1 to the last Workspace by pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow), and
> * the Last Workspace as the previous workspace of the Workspace 1
> (e.g., to pass from the Last Workspace to Workspace 1 by pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow).

You will get this behavior if you enable "Desktop Effects" (composited
desktop).

-Chris

Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Marco Guazzone

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 13:49 +0200, Marco Guazzone wrote:
>> Is there a way to tell GNOME to do workspace cycle?
>>
>> By "workspace cycle" I mean that the WM considers:
>> * the Workspace 1 as the next workspace of the Last Workspace (e.g. to
>> pass from Workspace 1 to the last Workspace by pressing
>> Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow), and
>> * the Last Workspace as the previous workspace of the Workspace 1
>> (e.g., to pass from the Last Workspace to Workspace 1 by pressing
>> Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow).
>
> You will get this behavior if you enable "Desktop Effects" (composited
> desktop).

Thank you.

Just tried.
It seems that you get this behavior only if you also select the option
"Workspaces on a Cube", something that I don't like too much :-/

Just for curiosity. Someone knows why this basic behavior (also
present in several old WM) is not included in "plain" GNOME (i.e.,no
compiz).

Thank you so much!

Best,

-- Marco

Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Steven Stern

On 07/03/2010 10:44 AM, Marco Guazzone wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Chris Tyler<chris@tylers.info> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 13:49 +0200, Marco Guazzone wrote:
>>> Is there a way to tell GNOME to do workspace cycle?
>>>
>>> By "workspace cycle" I mean that the WM considers:
>>> * the Workspace 1 as the next workspace of the Last Workspace (e.g. to
>>> pass from Workspace 1 to the last Workspace by pressing
>>> Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow), and
>>> * the Last Workspace as the previous workspace of the Workspace 1
>>> (e.g., to pass from the Last Workspace to Workspace 1 by pressing
>>> Ctrl-Alt-RightArrow).
>>
>> You will get this behavior if you enable "Desktop Effects" (composited
>> desktop).
>>

> Thank you.
>
> Just tried.
> It seems that you get this behavior only if you also select the option
> "Workspaces on a Cube", something that I don't like too much :-/
>
> Just for curiosity. Someone knows why this basic behavior (also
> present in several old WM) is not included in "plain" GNOME (i.e.,no
> compiz).
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Best,
>
> -- Marco

I don't have "workspaces on a cube" selected and it works for me. the
arrows slide the workspace left and right.

--
-- Steve

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Yorvyk

This thread has a work round to allow the behaviour you want http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-637598.html

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Marco Guazzone

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
[cut]

> This thread has a work round to allow the behaviour you want http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-637598.html

Thank you!

It works!
I've created two scripts: one for moving left and another for moving
right and I've bound them on <Control><Alt>Left and
<Control><Alt>Right respectively (disabling the default bindings for
these keys).

Thank very much!!

-- Marco