-   -   nscd cache problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/394435-nscd-cache-problem.html)

Jurek Bajor 07-03-2010 08:25 AM

nscd cache problem

>Well, I have found that setting the interval to a longer time does
>indeed help a lot!
>However, the behavior of Firefox in resolving URL's is still strange!
>If I click on a link, firefox spends almost a full minute to resolve the
>url,
>so while it is waiting (spinning), I use the gnome terminal to
>nslookup whatever-domain-it-was.com
>and it resolves it in less than a second. I look at firefox, and it is
>still trying to resolve!!
>Firefox seems to use some other way to resolve the url's domain - the
>painfully slow way!!
>Firefox has no config means of telling it how to resolve - so I'm at a
>loss as to it's behavior.
>
>JD
Hi,
- of course I assume that your system config files are OK, like
[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/host.conf
multi on
order hosts,bind
[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain example.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 111.222.333.444
[jb@localhost ~]$ ps aux |grep nscd
nscd 8652 0.0 0.1 150296 1328 ? Ssl 04:34 0:01 /usr/sbin/nscd
jb 9924 0.0 0.0 4308 724 pts/0 S+ 09:58 0:00 grep nscd
[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
# ...
passwd: files
shadow: files
group: files

#hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
hosts: files dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers: files
netmasks: files
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
services: files

netgroup: nisplus

publickey: nisplus

automount: files nisplus
aliases: files nisplus

[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/nscd.conf
#
# ...
# logfile /var/log/nscd.log
# threads 4
# max-threads 32
server-user nscd
# stat-user somebody
debug-level 0
# reload-count 5
paranoia no
# restart-interval 3600

enable-cache passwd yes
positive-time-to-live passwd 600
negative-time-to-live passwd 20
suggested-size passwd 211
check-files passwd yes
persistent passwd yes
shared passwd yes
max-db-size passwd 33554432
auto-propagate passwd yes

enable-cache group yes
positive-time-to-live group 3600
negative-time-to-live group 60
suggested-size group 211
check-files group yes
persistent group yes
shared group yes
max-db-size group 33554432
auto-propagate group yes

enable-cache hosts yes
#jb positive-time-to-live hosts 3600
#jb 3600 x 24 x 30 = approx 1 month
positive-time-to-live hosts 2592000
negative-time-to-live hosts 20
suggested-size hosts 211
check-files hosts yes
persistent hosts yes
shared hosts yes
max-db-size hosts 33554432

enable-cache services yes
positive-time-to-live services 28800
negative-time-to-live services 20
suggested-size services 211
check-files services yes
persistent services yes
shared services yes
max-db-size services 33554432
- look at your system services and permanently or temporarily disable
unneeded services/daemons that interact with a network/Internet,
like avahi-daemon, etc.
- in cases like this make sure that you have up to date firefox , and that
means install it from scratch (before that save your bookmarks),
remove firefox, remove ALL leftover related directories so that no data
or config caches are present (!), and install it again.
- start firefox and do not do any customized config yet; just try the same or
any other URL to see if the problem persists
- do you have any custom firefox plug-ins installed , or any other stuff for
that matter ?
Remove that extra funcy stuff and see if it helps.
- now you can look at config issues
- do you utilize any outside filter/proxy, like squid ?
- do you config proxy in firefox ?
- take a look at config via menu
- take a look at config via url about:config
Start with filter like ipv6 (you can turn it off/on and see the effect)
Btw, that was once a cause of identical firefox/chromium problem in
the past !
about:config
network.dns.disableIPv6 TRUE
Continue with filter like dns, and so on.
Remember to restart firefox if you change config (just in case, to have it
take effect).
- install other browser like Opera for testing and see if the problem persists.
Jurek