Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Geoffrey Leach

Default Command not found

As in:
geoff@mtranch[30]->clera
Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'

Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686

Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?

thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:53:53 -0700
Geoffrey Leach wrote:

> Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
> bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686
>
> Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?

I put this in my ~/.bashrc

unset -f command_not_found_handle

But you can also quash it system wide via:

yum erase PackageKit-command-not-found

Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 16:53 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> As in:
> geoff@mtranch[30]->clera
> Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'
>
> Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
> bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686
>
> Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?
----
What nonsense?

echo $PATH

PATH="/usr/bin"

echo $PATH

clera

Get it?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:19 AM
JD

On 07/02/2010 05:05 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 16:53 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>> As in:
>> geoff@mtranch[30]->clera
>> Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'
>>
>> Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
>> bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686
>>
>> Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?
> ----
> What nonsense?
>
> echo $PATH
>
> PATH="/usr/bin"
>
> echo $PATH
>
> clera
>
> Get it?
>
> Craig

Sorry for barge in in on this thread, as I did not catch the first of it...
Are you saying your shell changed the value of the PATH variable
after the first echo?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Geoffrey Leach

On 07/02/2010 05:19:07 PM, JD wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 05:05 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 16:53 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> >> As in:
> >> geoff@mtranch[30]->clera
> >> Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'
> >>
> >> Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
> >> bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686
> >>
> >> Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?
> > ----
> > What nonsense?
> >
> > echo $PATH
> >
> > PATH="/usr/bin"
> >
> > echo $PATH
> >
> > clera
> >
> > Get it?
> >
> > Craig
> >
> Sorry for barge in in on this thread, as I did not catch the first of
> it...
> Are you saying your shell changed the value of the PATH variable
> after the first echo?

Nah. Tom Horsley got it. Craig blew it. Sigh.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 18:44 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 05:19:07 PM, JD wrote:

> > > ----
> > > What nonsense?
> > >
> > > echo $PATH
> > >
> > > PATH="/usr/bin"
> > >
> > > echo $PATH
> > >
> > > clera
> > >
> > > Get it?
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >
> > Sorry for barge in in on this thread, as I did not catch the first of
> > it...
> > Are you saying your shell changed the value of the PATH variable
> > after the first echo?
>
> Nah. Tom Horsley got it. Craig blew it. Sigh.
----
sorry...

$ rpm -q PackageKit-command-not-found
package PackageKit-command-not-found is not installed

I don't suffer from this self-inflicted wound but checking what is in
one's 'PATH' environmental variable is always a good idea anyway.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 07/03/2010 01:53 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> As in:
> geoff@mtranch[30]->clera
> Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'
>
> Which would explain the annoying pause after I mis-type something.
> bash-4.1.7-1.fc13.i686
>
> Anyone know how to suppress this nonsense?

One possility is you having
PackageKit-command-not-found
installed.

It changes bash's behavior to invoke yum to install a package providing
the "not found command" and causes major issues in using shells.

=> yum remove PackageKit-command-not-found

Ralf

Old 07-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Geoffrey Leach

thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Jurek Bajor

Hi,
this is the current state of the matter:

[jb@localhost ~]$ clera
bash: /usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found: No such file or directory
[root@localhost jb]# yum install PackageKit-command-not-found
[root@localhost jb]# clera <------------------ note
the root mode
bash: clera: command not found
[jb@localhost ~]$ clera <------------------ note
the user mode
Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'

I think somebody went over the hills ...
Bash is a too important application to be subjected to that kind of
"experimentation" !

Jurek

Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 07/03/2010 10:19:18 AM, Jurek Bajor wrote:
> Hi,
> this is the current state of the matter:
>
> [jb@localhost ~]$ clera
> bash: /usr/libexec/pk-command-not-found: No such file or directory
> [root@localhost jb]# yum install PackageKit-command-not-found
> [root@localhost jb]# clera <------------------ note
> the root mode
> bash: clera: command not found
> [jb@localhost ~]$ clera <------------------ note
> the user mode
> Command not found. Similar command is: 'clear'
>
> I think somebody went over the hills ...
> Bash is a too important application to be subjected to that kind of
> "experimentation" !
>
> Jurek

Agreed!