Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Robert Myers

Default ati catalyst workaround for fedora13

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:37:52 -0500

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> AMD is taking care of the people who really care. They publish data on how

> to make their stuff work.

But judging from the actual results on several different ATI cards

with the radeon driver the published data leaves a lot

of details out about the differences between the 47,526 different

model cards they produced over the years :-).

Things have definitely gotten better in fedora 13 on most of my

systems with ATI cards, but at least one card worked better

in fedora 12.

I import my Fedora graphics to a Windows box. *Everything, including ATI Catalyst, works just fine. *The volume of talent and intellect that is being siphoned off into trying to make Fedora work like Windows just boggles my mind.

Robert.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Andrew Jamison

> AMD is taking care of the people who really care. They publish data on how
> to make their stuff work.
And that is assuming everyone that uses Linux has the aptitude to code for Linux even for the OpenGL drivers?

> If people want AMD stuff working well on Fedora they should be helping work
> on the radeon driver or general opengl support, not worrying about catalyst.
Again not everyone knows how to code a drive myself included.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 12:19 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
> All those Linux fan boys out there shilling for AMD and it can't even
> take care of them?

Well, you'd have to know whether "all those Linux" users are a
significant number compared to all the other users, for AMD to care.

But then, even that's no guarantee. Plenty of hardware manufacturers
have put out crap hardware for Windows users for years, sometimes
releasing bug fixes, but never fully fixing their hardware. Expecting
users to simply buy another card if they're really annoyed with having
to keep on rebooting around a problem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 20:57:15 -0400,
Andrew Jamison <linux@blogmethat.net> wrote:

> > AMD is taking care of the people who really care. They publish data on how
> > to make their stuff work.
> And that is assuming everyone that uses Linux has the aptitude to code for Linux even for the OpenGL drivers?

There just needs to be some people who are willing to do the work.

> > If people want AMD stuff working well on Fedora they should be helping work
> > on the radeon driver or general opengl support, not worrying about catalyst.
> Again not everyone knows how to code a drive myself included.

But they can be nice (buy beers or whatever) to the people who do do this.
Testers who write coherent bug reports are also useful.