Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Jim

Default Linux Games for Kids

Can anyone give me some advice for game for kids ages 4-8 ?
I have to build up a computer for kids to use at. 4-8. What is on the
Fedora Repo's.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Jim wrote:
> Can anyone give me some advice for game for kids ages 4-8 ?
> I have to build up a computer for kids to use at. 4-8. What is on the
> Fedora Repo's.

from my bookmarks:

fedora;

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Gamers_Scientists_and_Hobbyists.ht ml

xen notes;

Playing 3D FPS Game Alien Arena in Xen-based Windows XP Home Edition HVM
Virtual Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLzYqIJ7Q0

Xen Virtualization VGA Passthrough: Playing 3D FPS Games in Windows XP HVM
Virtual Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pikwgl8bac8

additional;

http://www.jumbo.com/pages/games/linux/

http://www.linuxgames.com/

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:05:06 -0400,
Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Can anyone give me some advice for game for kids ages 4-8 ?
> I have to build up a computer for kids to use at. 4-8. What is on the
> Fedora Repo's.

There are a lot of games, some of which work better than others. The ones
flagged for kids is a pretty short list, but many of the others may be of
interest to them.

I'd show them some games you like, that seem within their capabilites to
play (even if not well). If you want to look at an expanded list,
you might try looking at highly ranked games from http://www.happypenguin.org/
and try some that seem suitable and that are in Fedora. They don't seem
to have an age filter, so you'll need to judge that part.

If you want to install all of the games you can add
group_package_types=optional
to your /etc/yum.conf file and then run
yum groupinstall 'Games and Entertainment'
Note that the games packages are a few gigs worth of data, which may take
a while to download.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 16:25 +0000, g wrote:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Gamers_Scientists_and_Hobbyists.ht ml

Doesn't work, it instantly redirects to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Release_Notes/
and nothing appears to be what your link's about (nil results searching
for game, or hobby).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Máirín Duffy

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 11:05 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Can anyone give me some advice for game for kids ages 4-8 ?
> I have to build up a computer for kids to use at. 4-8. What is on the
> Fedora Repo's.

You might want to try the Fedora Educational Spin:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/edu/

The Fedora Games spin page has a directory of games that might be
useful:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/games/#games

~m

Old 07-02-2010, 04:00 AM

Tim wrote:
<snip>

> Doesn't work, it instantly redirects to
<snip>

well, as stated in my post, it was from my bookmarks. so i will delete it
because it is from 2008.

what i did find with a google linux advanced search of;

'game site:fedoraproject.org'

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=game&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=1 00&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=fedoraproje ct.org&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nl o=&as_nhi=&safe=images&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dlinux=

576 hits. tho i noted on in first 100, a lot are shown in;

archive.fedoraproject.org

a quick check of 1 of links, showed a link of 'games and entertainment', which
produced this page;

http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/extras/6/ppc/repoview/games.group.html

to cut a long bit of searching short and due to recent changing and rewriting
of a lot pages, i went to wiki and did a search for games;

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=games&fulltext=Search

which i changed with 'next 500' to find that there are 415 games listed;

http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&ns4=1&ns6=1&n s12=1&ns14=1&ns106=1&ns108=1&ns110=1&ns112=1&ns114 =1&ns116=1&redirs=0&search=games&limit=500&offset= 0

hopefully, op will be able to find something suitable among them.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**

Old 07-02-2010, 05:08 AM
"birger"

I have kids in that range myself, and these are the results of the jury:

Get a wheel and start with tuxkart. It seems to be the biggest hit for kids that age on my linux game pc (rather old pc with decent graphics card and hi-res 24" screen).

Then there is tuxracer/ppracer/whatever. Great game that keeps changing name.

Tuxpaint is one that will keep them quiet for long periods.

Tuxtyping has also been popular for limited periods. Run with single letters it helps them learn the keyboard layout so it could be worth the hassle for helping them into the game.

Xmoto is also one to try.

A browser with flash and a quick search for the simple dress-up and coloring games would make you popular.

--
birger
Typed on my cellphone so any non-conformity with regard to posting rules can be blamed on my mailer

Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Michal

On 01/07/2010 17:25, g wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Can anyone give me some advice for game for kids ages 4-8 ?
>> I have to build up a computer for kids to use at. 4-8. What is on the
>> Fedora Repo's.

Maybe not at 4 but going towards 10 I loved real time strategies, and
loved these all the way up to late teens when I started getting in to
FPS's. Wine, crossover etc etc are good and a lot of improvements have
been made recently to make them even better for games. You might find
some good windows games will run fine under *nix and to be honest when
they do start getting above 10, if they are really into games you may
find you need to do that anyway to keep the Linux. I run Windows
personally on my gamer PC but I'm a graphics obsessed idiot that will
happily pay too many pounds to water cool and running the games nativly
is easiest and performs best.

Other then that, websites. CBBC website has games on stuff on I've heard
(I don't have children but over heard a convo). When my PC died a few
years back and all I had was a crappy laptop I used web games, some are
really good

Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Chris Kloiber