Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Tim

Default Linux Games for Kids

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 05:53 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Steering Wheel w/linux support?
>
> Do tell!
>
> I saw a brand-new wheel w/pedals (still in plastic) at a GoodWill the
> other day for about $8 (US$). But it had a joystick connector which I
> haven't seen on a PC in a decade or more.

Any time I see (alleged) grown ups with those gaming steering wheels, it
makes me think of these things:

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/ATLab/Clipart/devicepics/activitybox.jpg
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Tomy-TurninTurboDashboard.jpg

;-)

Or any number of sitcoms where the teenage child is practising learning
to drive with mum on the sofa, holding a dinner plate instead a steering
wheel.

I can't be the only one that thinks that... ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Chris Kloiber

I saw a brand-new wheel w/pedals (still in plastic) at a GoodWill the
other day for about $8 (US$). But it had a joystick connector which I
haven't seen on a PC in a decade or more.

Any time I see (alleged) grown ups with those gaming steering wheels, it
makes me think of these things:

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/ATLab/Clipart/devicepics/activitybox.jpg
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Tomy-TurninTurboDashboard.jpg

;-)

Or any number of sitcoms where the teenage child is practising learning
to drive with mum on the sofa, holding a dinner plate instead a steering
wheel.

I can't be the only one that thinks that... ;-)

Oh, I love how the 'activity box' includes an in-dash cell phone.
Guess that toy would be illegal in Georgia now if the device 'supports'
texting.

--
Chris Kloiber

Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 07:25 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Oh, I love how the 'activity box' includes an in-dash cell phone.
> Guess that toy would be illegal in Georgia now if the device
> 'supports' texting.

You probably need one for technical support in modern cars...

- Hello, my car just stalled when I changed the station on the radio,
and can't get it start again.
- Have you tried closing all the windows, and getting out and back in
again? If that doesn't help, you may have to re-install the engine.

The driver using a phone in a car is illegal, here, too. And quite
rightly. It's incredibly distracting. I've found just walking across
the road while on the phone to be dangerously risky, so driving a car
has got to be much worse.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 05:53 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Ok. Steering Wheel w/linux support?
>
> Do tell!
>
> I saw a brand-new wheel w/pedals (still in plastic) at a GoodWill the
> other day for about $8 (US$). But it had a joystick connector which I
> haven't seen on a PC in a decade or more. Think I last saw such a port
> on an ISA sound card.

They do have ones with USB connectors these days, Chris. Linux support?
Hmm.... your mileage may vary!

(I couldn't resist)

~m

Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 AM
birger

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 05:53 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 01:08 AM, birger wrote:
> Ok. Steering Wheel w/linux support?
>
> Do tell!

Uhmm? Should that be a problem?

Seriously, I am amazed at the amount of peripherals that just work with
Fedora 13. I use a Logitech steering wheel without any problems. My
no-brand 3-axis+tophat USB joystick works just fine. I have not tried
the Xbox gamepads with linux yet, but since they work fine with Windows
I just expect them to work on Linux as well.

--
birger

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Chris Kloiber

Seriously, I am amazed at the amount of peripherals that just work with
Fedora 13. I use a Logitech steering wheel without any problems. My
no-brand 3-axis+tophat USB joystick works just fine. I have not tried
the Xbox gamepads with linux yet, but since they work fine with Windows
I just expect them to work on Linux as well.

Should it be a problem? No. Have I tried a joystick since Red Hat 7.x...
No. Did it work then... Not for me.

I'm interested for my 4 year old and my 2 year old. Driving with the
arrow keys sucks. I'm hoping for an inexpensive wheel I can sacrifice
(they're hard on toys) to my kids that is known to work.

Doesn't seem that amazing to me.

--
Chris Kloiber

Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM
birger

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 05:35 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Should it be a problem? No. Have I tried a joystick since Red Hat 7.x...
> No. Did it work then... Not for me.

I can assure you that a *lot* has happened with device support since
RedHat 7.x. Especially that all those deep-down changes that tended to
knock out a lot of older device drivers years ago until they got
rewritten for new frameworks have paid off. It seems to be a lot easier
these days to integrate support for new hardware without specialized
kernel drivers that have to be accepted.

Some time ago I tested 2 brand new web cameras. I wasn't too surprised
to find that a brand new MS HD webcam worked out of the box, but that a
very brand new Tandberg high-end HD Web Cam also worked without any
hassle was a surprise.

I walked by our photographers and borrowed the Eizo color calibrator
that came with their high-end photo screens, and it worked straight out
of the box on F13, letting me get the same colors on my external and
internal screens on this laptop.

Bluetooth keyboards, bluetooth headsets... stuff that requires a driver
installation hell on that other OS... Just plug and play on F13.

I would say buy the wheel and test. If it doesn't work file a RFE for
the driver and be prepared to help out with log files. Cheap no-brand
devices very often follow the blueprints from the hardware manufacturers
very closely, so the chances are very good that it will work. Perhaps
only with the addition of the wheel's USB identifiers to the driver.

Tuxkart is very unstable while configuring the controls for my wheel.
I have to set only a few controls at the time, saving and exiting. I
often have to retry several times, as setting the key to control one
action sometimes leads to some other setting going bonkers. Once that
fight is done the wheel works fine.

It would actually be nice if apps like tuxkart, tuxtype, tuxracer ++
had some command line option to go into a 'kids' mode where
configuration settings 'disappeared'. I guess your kids are like mine.
They just have to test any menu option...

--
birger

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
birger

One game (well, sort of) that I forgot.

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Linux_Installer

scratch is a programming environment rather close to the one bundled
with lego robotics (guess where the software for the lego stuff
originated from).

I have had great fun designing simple games like pong or frogger from
scratch with my kids. We have designed simple bits first (logo-like
drawings of flowers) and then moved on to stuff moving about the screen.
Rewriting pong and frogger was actually rather simple, and even kids
understand the simple logics needed for those games.

Understanding the logic of the game also makes it great fun for them to
play it. It's 'their' game.

scratch runs on top of the squeak vm, and squeak-vm is available in your
standard repos. It's been a while since I installed it, so I don't quite
remember how I loaded scratch into my squeak. I should retry it on F13,
as I see the squeak-vm has changed quite a bit. At least the packaging.

--
birger