Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Steven Stern

Default Chrome crashes F13

I can reliably cause my F13 system to crash by browsing the web in
Chrome (from the Google repository).

The scenario is (1) start chrome and (2) start normal browsing behavior.
Pretty soon, I get DNS timeouts and the system load applet shows the
load average climbing. Today, I was able to kill chrome as load average
passed 18. Although the load average dropped, other applications were
left in various states and I was unable to reboot the system cleanly.

Is anyone else seeing this sort of behavior from Chrome?

Current kernel is 2.6.33.5-124.fc13.i686.PAE
I'm currently using google-chrome-beta-5.0.375.86-49890.i386.

--
-- Steve

Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 08:13 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> I can reliably cause my F13 system to crash by browsing the web in
> Chrome (from the Google repository).
>
> The scenario is (1) start chrome and (2) start normal browsing behavior.
> Pretty soon, I get DNS timeouts and the system load applet shows the
> load average climbing. Today, I was able to kill chrome as load average
> passed 18. Although the load average dropped, other applications were
> left in various states and I was unable to reboot the system cleanly.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this sort of behavior from Chrome?

I used to get wierd behaviour when I used Chrome (mostly infinite hangs
on cached web pages). It would go away if I completely removed the cache
directory. I changed to Chromium and it's been much more stable.

poc

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Kevin Martin

I'm running google-chrome-stable-5.0.375.86-49890.i386 on FC13 and it's not causing me issues. Perhaps update to that version.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Steven Stern

On 07/01/2010 10:04 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> I'm running google-chrome-stable-5.0.375.86-49890.i386 on FC13 and it's not causing me issues. Perhaps update to that version.
>
> Kevin

Thanks. So far, so good.

--
-- Steve

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Steven Stern

On 07/01/2010 08:13 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> I can reliably cause my F13 system to crash by browsing the web in
> Chrome (from the Google repository).
>
> The scenario is (1) start chrome and (2) start normal browsing behavior.
> Pretty soon, I get DNS timeouts and the system load applet shows the
> load average climbing. Today, I was able to kill chrome as load average
> passed 18. Although the load average dropped, other applications were
> left in various states and I was unable to reboot the system cleanly.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this sort of behavior from Chrome?
>
> Current kernel is 2.6.33.5-124.fc13.i686.PAE
> I'm currently using google-chrome-beta-5.0.375.86-49890.i386.

I have switched to chrome-stable and still have lockups that occur
shortly after opening Chrome. Is there any way I can get some logging
or debugging tool that might enable me to report more clearly what's
happening? Nothing currently gets logged.

Currently using google-chrome-stable-5.0.375.99-51029.i386
--
-- Steve