Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Martín Marqués

Default preupgrade isn't efficient

I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.

The question is, why does it download the installation images each
time I start preupgrade again?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Martín Marqués

I was wrong, it doesn't make me loose 1/2 an hour. More likely and
hour and a half, and counting.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike Guilmot

2010/7/1 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> I was wrong, it doesn't make me loose 1/2 an hour. More likely and
> hour and a half, and counting.

You can set it up before you go to bed and continue the next day.
Or isn't that an option ?

--
KR
Mike

Old 07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Frank Murphy

On 01/07/10 11:21, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.

With a slow connection, Preupgrade may not be right for you.
Can you not get a magazine with a DVD/purchase a dvd from an online seller?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors

or being a bit trickier (to some) use yum update:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
> time I start preupgrade again?

Check bugzilla.redhat.org for bugs?
Maybe file an rfe?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Martín Marqués

2010/7/1 Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com>:
> On 01/07/10 11:21, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
>> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
>> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
>> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.
>
> With a slow connection, Preupgrade may not be right for you.

Why not? Or better, why shouldn't it.

All I'm asking is for preupgrade not to download something that has
already been downloaded. Maybe a checksum or something of the files.

> Can you not get a magazine with a DVD/purchase a dvd from an online seller?
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors

Hard to find here in Argentina. It's an Ubuntu country.

> or being a bit trickier (to some) use yum update:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Tried it in the past and found out that preupgrade was much better.

>> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
>> time I start preupgrade again?
>>
> Check bugzilla.redhat.org for bugs?
> Maybe file an rfe?

I think I'll do that.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Germán "A. Racca"

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:46 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2010/7/1 Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com>:
> > On 01/07/10 11:21, Martín Marqués wrote:
> >> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
> >> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
> >> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
> >> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.
> >
> > With a slow connection, Preupgrade may not be right for you.
>
> Why not? Or better, why shouldn't it.
>
> All I'm asking is for preupgrade not to download something that has
> already been downloaded. Maybe a checksum or something of the files.
>
> > Can you not get a magazine with a DVD/purchase a dvd from an online seller?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors
>
> Hard to find here in Argentina. It's an Ubuntu country.
>
> > or being a bit trickier (to some) use yum update:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>
> Tried it in the past and found out that preupgrade was much better.
>

> >> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
> >> time I start preupgrade again?
> >>
> > Check bugzilla.redhat.org for bugs?
> > Maybe file an rfe?
>
> I think I'll do that.
>
> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

Hello Martín compatriota :-)

I think you can download the installation image first and then, when you
restart your computer to make the preupgrade, it asks you to download
the image or to select it in your hd. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone
else can confirm this.

Regards and good luck,
Germán.
--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)

Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Bill Davidsen

Martín Marqués wrote:
> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.
>
> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
> time I start preupgrade again?

I suppose it was easier to do it that way and go for reliable rather than
efficient. After all, preupgrade is something you run at most every release, and
stopping it in the middle is not the usual use case, so "better safe than
sorry," it starts over.

I guess that putting time into recovery code was not efficient use of developer
time, and as long as it produces a proper upgrade when interrupted, the unlikely
restart case wasn't handled. As opposed to handled badly, which you really don't
want.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>