Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Alex

Default Printing problem on FC13

Hi,

I've set up a printer entry for my Brother HL-5070N network printer,
and when I print a test page it instead prints one page with "ERROR
NAME; undefined COMMAND; -12345X@PJL OPERAND STACK", followed by pages
and pages of blank paper until I turn off the printer.

There is a choice of a number of print drivers, and I've tried a few
of them, including ljet4, hl1250, and a ghostscript driver, and they
all do the same thing.

It hasn't worked since I installed FC13, but did work when I
previously had Ubuntu and an older FC installed on this computer.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 AM
fred smith

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:24:46PM -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up a printer entry for my Brother HL-5070N network printer,
> and when I print a test page it instead prints one page with "ERROR
> NAME; undefined COMMAND; -12345X@PJL OPERAND STACK", followed by pages
> and pages of blank paper until I turn off the printer.
>
> There is a choice of a number of print drivers, and I've tried a few
> of them, including ljet4, hl1250, and a ghostscript driver, and they
> all do the same thing.
>
> It hasn't worked since I installed FC13, but did work when I
> previously had Ubuntu and an older FC installed on this computer.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?

I'd say the first thing to try is to duplicate the settings you used
in earlier Fedoras where the printer worked, especially by using the
same printer driver, though other settings may also matter.

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> It hasn't worked since I installed FC13, but did work when I
>> previously had Ubuntu and an older FC installed on this computer.
>>
>> How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> I'd say the first thing to try is to duplicate the settings you used
> in earlier Fedoras where the printer worked, especially by using the
> same printer driver, though other settings may also matter.

I wish it were that easy. I had Ubuntu installed on here last, and
just clicked to set it up, and never had a problem. It's been quite
some time since I had fedora on here, but even then I just clicked to
set it up, so I have no idea what the settings were.

It shouldn't be this hard. It's a simple Brother printer. Even the
ljet4 emulation has worked in the past.

This is one of the reasons I hate Linux on the desktop, still, after
like ten years of trying to use it on the desktop.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 22:24 -0400, Alex wrote:
> There is a choice of a number of print drivers, and I've tried a few
> of them, including ljet4, hl1250, and a ghostscript driver, and they
> all do the same thing.

It sounds like all the ones you've tried are 'Foomatic'-based drivers.

How about if you try this one?:
Brother HL-5070N - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified

(it comes from the 'gutenprint-cups' package, which you might not have
installed.)

Alternatively, the foomatic-db-ppds package provides a PPD from Brother
for this printer, but I've just spotted that it is confusingly filed
under model 'HL-5070N BR-Script3' (I'll fix that for a future
system-config-printer version).

Tim.
*/

Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> There is a choice of a number of print drivers, and I've tried a few
>> of them, including ljet4, hl1250, and a ghostscript driver, and they
>> all do the same thing.
>
> It sounds like all the ones you've tried are 'Foomatic'-based drivers.
>
> How about if you try this one?:
> Brother HL-5070N - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Simplified

Yep, no soup. I think that is the default, and just tried it again and
doesn't work.

> (it comes from the 'gutenprint-cups' package, which you might not have
> installed.)

# rpm -qva|grep guten
gutenprint-cups-5.2.5-5.fc13.x86_64
gutenprint-5.2.5-5.fc13.x86_64

> Alternatively, the foomatic-db-ppds package provides a PPD from Brother
> for this printer, but I've just spotted that it is confusingly filed
> under model 'HL-5070N BR-Script3' (I'll fix that for a future
> system-config-printer version).

I've now tried pretty much all of them in various ways, and they all
print the same error message.

I've also tried the "overwrite" and "keep settings from previous PPD"
choices, and same result.

Thanks for any ideas.
Best regards,
Alex

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 19:54 -0400, Alex wrote:
> I've now tried pretty much all of them in various ways, and they all
> print the same error message.

OK. Not that it ought to make any difference really, but have you tried
any different backend for that printer? Which backend are you currently
using, and are there any others you can try?

The 'BR-Script3' driver really ought to work -- that is the
manufacturer's own PPD for their printer!

Tim.
*/

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 01:04:26PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 19:54 -0400, Alex wrote:
> > I've now tried pretty much all of them in various ways, and they all
> > print the same error message.
>
> OK. Not that it ought to make any difference really, but have you tried
> any different backend for that printer? Which backend are you currently
> using, and are there any others you can try?
>
> The 'BR-Script3' driver really ought to work -- that is the
> manufacturer's own PPD for their printer!

One (possibly) related data point:
I had NO trouble making my brother HL2070N at home work with F10, F11, or
F12. However on F13 I had to mess with it quite a lot. (NOTE that my
Brother printer is NOT one of those automatically set up by the new
features in system-config-printer, so it still required some manual setup.)

I've always configured it as an IPP printer: ipp://printer-ip-address/ipp
and it has worked out of the box with the "recommended" driver that
system-config-printer suggests.

however on F13 I couldn't make it work that way. the job would be put in
the queue and there it would sit. I'd find the printer disabled, re-enable
it and it would be disabled again. try the print troubleshooter and after
entering the root password twice and clicking a few times it would tell me
that the problem is because the printer was disabled. re-enable it and
it just gets disabled AGAIN.

I tried using the same configuration with every driver listed by the
printer setup app and none of them worked.

however when I blew away the configuration (delete the printer) and
started from scratch and chose the foomatic/hl1250 driver (still using
IPP as described above) then it would work.

I wasted a lot of time on it, but even after trying to write down every
step so I could Bugzilla it, I didn't feel I had enough evidence to point
to any culprit so I didn't.

But the bottom line is: on F13 it appears to be sensitive to the sequence
in which you try different print drivers, or perhaps some other bizarre
co-dependency between settings that makes it fail or not depending on how
you were holding your tongue when you clicked OK.

To the OP: you may want to delete the printer configuration and start
afresh with the Brother PPD file and see if that gets you anywhere.

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Tim Waugh

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 09:15 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> however on F13 I couldn't make it work that way. the job would be put in
> the queue and there it would sit. I'd find the printer disabled, re-enable
> it and it would be disabled again. try the print troubleshooter and after
> entering the root password twice and clicking a few times it would tell me
> that the problem is because the printer was disabled. re-enable it and
> it just gets disabled AGAIN.

If you have jobs in the queue, and there is some problem with one of the
filters, each time you enable it the next job will fail and cause it to
become disabled.

The way around that is to clear out *all* the jobs in the queue. Cancel
them all.

After that, running the troubleshooter should get you enough information
to report a bug.

I know that you now have your printer working, but I'd be very grateful
if you could re-visit this and have another go at getting
troubleshooting information about this problem.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 03:19:28PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 09:15 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > however on F13 I couldn't make it work that way. the job would be put in
> > the queue and there it would sit. I'd find the printer disabled, re-enable
> > it and it would be disabled again. try the print troubleshooter and after
> > entering the root password twice and clicking a few times it would tell me
> > that the problem is because the printer was disabled. re-enable it and
> > it just gets disabled AGAIN.
>
> If you have jobs in the queue, and there is some problem with one of the
> filters, each time you enable it the next job will fail and cause it to
> become disabled.
>
> The way around that is to clear out *all* the jobs in the queue. Cancel
> them all.
>
> After that, running the troubleshooter should get you enough information
> to report a bug.
>
> I know that you now have your printer working, but I'd be very grateful
> if you could re-visit this and have another go at getting
> troubleshooting information about this problem.

Tim:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find a little bit of time
to re-try that over the long weekend. If I'm successful I'll post here
what I see (and if I see anything reproducible I'll put in a Bugzilla
too.)

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 AM
fred smith

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 03:19:28PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 09:15 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > however on F13 I couldn't make it work that way. the job would be put in
> > the queue and there it would sit. I'd find the printer disabled, re-enable
> > it and it would be disabled again. try the print troubleshooter and after
> > entering the root password twice and clicking a few times it would tell me
> > that the problem is because the printer was disabled. re-enable it and
> > it just gets disabled AGAIN.
>
> If you have jobs in the queue, and there is some problem with one of the
> filters, each time you enable it the next job will fail and cause it to
> become disabled.
>
> The way around that is to clear out *all* the jobs in the queue. Cancel
> them all.
>
> After that, running the troubleshooter should get you enough information
> to report a bug.
>
> I know that you now have your printer working, but I'd be very grateful
> if you could re-visit this and have another go at getting
> troubleshooting information about this problem.

Tim, et al:

Today I cannot reproduce the problem I described above

I do recall seeing more than one update come thru in the weeks since I
installed F13, updates for both cups and for foomatic, so I suppose it's
possible that something related was fixed.

However, while fooling with it this evening, I went thru all the suggested
printer drivers that come up when I choose Brother HL2060 as the printer
model (it's not a 2060, it's a 2070N, but that's the closest one by model
name/number, so I used it because I've used it successfully before on earlier
Fedora versions.)

I suppose the issues I'll report below could simply be because the
printer I've got isn't quite the one I told it I had...

Tonight, ALL of them "work", for values of "work", except the one labeled
"Brother HL-2060 Foomatic/Postscript [en]" which prints a couple hundred
pages of blank paper in place of the cups test page.

all the rest of them work fairly well, though I think the best one is
"Brother HL-2060 Foomatic/hl1250 [en]", as it actually supports all the
resolutions the 2070 provides.

Of the remaining ones that print, some produce noticeably crisper type
than some of the others, the lj4dith, lj5gray, ljet4, and pxlmono all
produce good crisp looking type.

note that the only graphics I saw were the grayscale images on the
CUPS test page, so I can't really speak to their graphics performance.

Is anything here worth entering into Bugzilla? (I kinda don't think so...)

Fred

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.