Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Compiling a kernel problems

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:57:56 -0400
Alex wrote:

> There is an older kernel on there that works just fine,

I've got config-<version> files that go with all my kernels.
If you have one that matches the old working kernel, you
could see what config options it turns on.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> There is an older kernel on there that works just fine,
>
> I've got config-<version> files that go with all my kernels.
> If you have one that matches the old working kernel, you
> could see what config options it turns on.

Yes, I should have mentioned that I tried that, but there are just so
many differences that the comparison would be too difficult.

I even tried a 'make defconfig' with the addition of compiling in
directly support for the aacraid, initrd, sd_mod, and a few others,
and it still won't boot.

It's either a kernel bug or I'm missing something, like ACPI drivers,
or something else that it depends on.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Rick Stevens

On 06/30/2010 02:52 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> There is an older kernel on there that works just fine,
>>
>> I've got config-<version> files that go with all my kernels.
>> If you have one that matches the old working kernel, you
>> could see what config options it turns on.
>
> Yes, I should have mentioned that I tried that, but there are just so
> many differences that the comparison would be too difficult.
>
> I even tried a 'make defconfig' with the addition of compiling in
> directly support for the aacraid, initrd, sd_mod, and a few others,
> and it still won't boot.
>
> It's either a kernel bug or I'm missing something, like ACPI drivers,
> or something else that it depends on.

Are you sure the initrd ramdisk got rebuilt?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> It's either a kernel bug or I'm missing something, like ACPI drivers,
>> or something else that it depends on.
>
> Are you sure the initrd ramdisk got rebuilt?

You mean the modules are for the correct kernel version, right? Yes,
and I've even built it manually.

I'm going to try and build a 2.6.33 and see if it is any different.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Rick Stevens

On 06/30/2010 03:31 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> It's either a kernel bug or I'm missing something, like ACPI drivers,
>>> or something else that it depends on.
>>
>> Are you sure the initrd ramdisk got rebuilt?
>
> You mean the modules are for the correct kernel version, right? Yes,
> and I've even built it manually.
>
> I'm going to try and build a 2.6.33 and see if it is any different.

No, I mean verifying that the "/boot/initramfs-(kernelversion).img"
file got built with your driver installed. It's created with dracut and
specified in the grub configuration to load any modular drivers needed
to bring up your root filesystem.

Alternately you can build the required disk drivers into the kernel
directly and not use an initramfs. You only need the drivers necessary
to mount your root filesystem.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Alex

Hi,

> Alternately you can build the required disk drivers into the kernel
> directly and not use an initramfs. *You only need the drivers necessary
> to mount your root filesystem.

Yes, that is the approach I have taken, because the initramfs image
didn't work either. It's really a matter of which are the options that
are required to support this controller.

During the kernel build, it says SCSI and PCI are needed, but I'd like
to find a more complete list of the specific options that are
necessary, such as ACPI, etc.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Bill Davidsen

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a kernel with aacraid support for a dual Opteron
> 246 box with two 36GB disks on a Tyan S2891, using an initrd and lilo.
>
> There is an older kernel on there that works just fine, so I suspect
> it's something I'm missing in the kernel config. No matter what I try,
> the kernel fails to find the disks on the controller. I've even tried
> building it without an initrd and compiling everything into the
> kernel, but it still panics.
>
> I've included the aacraid support, SCSI disk, SCSI generic, and even
> RAID1/5 support. The controller and motherboard also have the latest
> BIOS updates.
>
> What else is necessary to support aacraid? What are the minimum
> settings required to provide support for this controller?
>
> It prints the Adaptec aacraid basic info, but doesn't detect any disks
> or even probe the controller.
>
> Is I2O or ACPI support necessary?

Wouldn't need firmware, would it?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-05-2010, 07:02 PM
alan

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a kernel with aacraid support for a dual Opteron
>> 246 box with two 36GB disks on a Tyan S2891, using an initrd and lilo.
>>
>> There is an older kernel on there that works just fine, so I suspect
>> it's something I'm missing in the kernel config. No matter what I try,
>> the kernel fails to find the disks on the controller. I've even tried
>> building it without an initrd and compiling everything into the
>> kernel, but it still panics.
>>
>> I've included the aacraid support, SCSI disk, SCSI generic, and even
>> RAID1/5 support. The controller and motherboard also have the latest
>> BIOS updates.
>>
>> What else is necessary to support aacraid? What are the minimum
>> settings required to provide support for this controller?
>>
>> It prints the Adaptec aacraid basic info, but doesn't detect any disks
>> or even probe the controller.
>>
>> Is I2O or ACPI support necessary?
>>
> Wouldn't need firmware, would it?
>
>> Are there any boot-time options to increase debugging output to
>> troubleshoot this?
>>
>> The dmesg output from a working system is here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/0AnVBV7s
>>
>> The kernel config for the attempt is here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/gi9ybDwS

You need to use a newer config file. There was a change in options between
2.6.33 and 2.6.34 that makes some options fall out when running "make
oldconfig".

I would pull the source rpm from rawhide and use the config file from
there.

You need to merge the files together using merge.pl.

Something like this:

merge.pl config-x84_64-generic config-generic > .config

If that does not work I can dig out the config file I use on my home
machine from 2.6.35-rc3.

--
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.