Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
ranjan sundar

Default Flash videos not playing in Fedora 11 firefox browser

Hello all,
*
I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
*
initially i read some forum posts where they told me to copy this file to some plugins directory. i did paste*this file into the mentioned folders.*But none of these steps worked. im still unable to find a step by step approach to get flash vidoes working properly in browsers on linux. Are there actually any step by step approach ???

*
ive exhausted all my energy to get flash videos get working in my firefox/opera browser in my Fedora 11 linux.
*
Any help is really appreciated !!!
*
Thanks
jan

Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/30/2010 10:59 AM, ranjan sundar wrote:
> Hello all,
> I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and
> downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained
> only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
> initially i read some forum posts where they told me to copy this file
> to some plugins directory. i did paste this file into the mentioned
> folders. But none of these steps worked. im still unable to find a step
> by step approach to get flash vidoes working properly in browsers on
> linux. Are there actually any step by step approach ???
> ive exhausted all my energy to get flash videos get working in my
> firefox/opera browser in my Fedora 11 linux.
> Any help is really appreciated !!!
> Thanks
> jan

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

Also, please note that Fedora 11 is end-of-life and will not be seeing
new security or bugfix updates, ever. You should upgrade to Fedora 12 or
Fedora 13 at your earliest opportunity.

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, ranjan sundar <njan79@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and
> downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained
> only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
>
> [snip]
*
My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you downloaded the Windows version of the flash plugin. Zip is usually used by Windows. Linux uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just plain ol' .zip.

Go here to download the latest version. The page should recognize that you're running Linux. If not, click "Choose another operating system...."

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

This is the 32-bit version. There is no 64-bit version anymore. So, if your Fedora 11 is 64-bit, you'll have to wrap the 32-bit version with nspluginwrapper. Or install a 32-bit browser. Or find someone who still has the old 64-bit one (10.0.45 Alpha was the last, IIRC), but it has a major security hole. However, I've been using it since its release back in February of this year on my 64-bit F12, and have had no incidents of viruses or trojans, etc.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:51 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and
> > downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained
> > only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
> >
> > [snip]
>
> My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you downloaded the Windows
> version of the flash plugin. Zip is usually used by Windows. Linux
> uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just plain ol' .zip.

Zip is used for some Linux stuff, besides which the OP says he extracted
a .so file, so it is for Linux.

poc

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:51 -0700,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > I tried to download flashplayer for linux from
> adobe website and
> > > downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and
> found that it contained
> > > only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
> > >
> > > [snip]
> >*
> > My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you
> downloaded the Windows
> > version of the flash plugin.* Zip is usually used
> by Windows.* Linux
> > uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just
> plain ol' .zip.
>
> Zip is used for some Linux stuff, besides which the OP says
> he extracted
> a .so file, so it is for Linux.

As far as I've found Adobe doesn't distribute Flash for Linux in .zip. Check the link I gave. (The other OSes don't list endings, and I have no desire to download them all to check.) Either the OP got a repackaged file from someone other than the real Adobe or it's for another OS that uses .so endings or something else?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:39 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Zip is used for some Linux stuff, besides which the OP says
> > he extracted
> > a .so file, so it is for Linux.
>
> As far as I've found Adobe doesn't distribute Flash for Linux in .zip.
> Check the link I gave. (The other OSes don't list endings, and I have
> no desire to download them all to check.) Either the OP got a
> repackaged file from someone other than the real Adobe or it's for
> another OS that uses .so endings or something else?

Whatever. I was just answering the "no zip on Linux" point. Also, .so
files are used on several Unix-like systems
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format) so
strictly speaking it doesn't mean he had a Linux version. However it's
pretty clear it wasn't Windows version as was suggested.

poc

Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:39 -0700,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > Zip is used for some Linux stuff, besides which
> the OP says
> > > he extracted
> > > a .so file, so it is for Linux.
> >
> > As far as I've found Adobe doesn't distribute Flash
> for Linux in .zip.
> > Check the link I gave.* (The other OSes don't
> list endings, and I have
> > no desire to download them all to check.)* Either
> the OP got a
> > repackaged file from someone other than the real Adobe
> or it's for
> > another OS that uses .so endings or something else?
>
> Whatever. I was just answering the "no zip on Linux" point.
> Also, .so
> files are used on several Unix-like systems
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format)
> so
> strictly speaking it doesn't mean he had a Linux version.
> However it's
> pretty clear it wasn't Windows version as was suggested.

In either case, it was the wrong flash. The OP needs to start over with the correct file. And since we haven't heard from him since his initial post, maybe, he did and there's no problem anymore.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Wed, 6/30/10, ranjan sundar <njan79@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and
>> downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained
>> only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
>>
>> [snip]
>
> My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you downloaded the Windows version of the flash plugin. Zip is usually used by Windows. Linux uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just plain ol' .zip.
>
> Go here to download the latest version. The page should recognize that you're running Linux. If not, click "Choose another operating system...."
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP
>
> This is the 32-bit version. There is no 64-bit version anymore. So, if your Fedora 11 is 64-bit, you'll have to wrap the 32-bit version with nspluginwrapper. Or install a 32-bit browser. Or find someone who still has the old 64-bit one (10.0.45 Alpha was the last, IIRC), but it has a major security hole. However, I've been using it since its release back in February of this year on my 64-bit F12, and have had no incidents of viruses or trojans, etc.

This is Adobe doing its part to support HTML5. ;-)

I run 32 bit stripped FC13 under KVM and just move selected things out. Gives me
the most secure flash rendition and an extra layer of isolation. At the cost of
being a PITA if you don't have a base up-to-date 32 bit VM laying around to
clone with qemu-img.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>