Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Tim Waugh

Default F-13 printing problems -

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.

Did you manage to get a test page printed?

> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?

There are some suggestions for things to try in order to find the
problem on this page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing/Debugging#Finding_where_the_problem_lies

Tim.
*/

Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 30/06/10 10:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
>> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
>>
> Did you manage to get a test page printed?

Test page worked normally but now I can't close the "Printer
PropertiesHL-2170 on localhost" window? Neither Cancel or the "X" at the
top right closes it.

>> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
>> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
>>
> There are some suggestions for things to try in order to find the
> problem on this page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing/Debugging#Finding_where_the_problem_lies

I will look at this URL.
> Tim.
> */

Tnx.

Bob

Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 30/06/10 10:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
>> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
>>
> Did you manage to get a test page printed?
>

>> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
>> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
>>
> There are some suggestions for things to try in order to find the
> problem on this page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing/Debugging#Finding_where_the_problem_lies

Ok, it looks like changing the printer driver for the Brother HL-2170W
may have helped? The original driver selected by whatever means was
pxemono, I changed it arbitrarily to foomatic/hpijs. That seems to make
the printer work although it still takes ~24 seconds to load data into
the printer. That may have something to do with NetworkManager? In the
past I have always turned that off but still have it running on this new
install.

The HL-2170 now works about the same as the HL-5149. The HL-5140
probably did not have the problem I complained of.

This is "Linux box9 2.6.33.5-124.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Jun 11
09:42:24 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux" which resulted from a normal
DVD installation. I don't think I made any selections that would have
influenced that?

Bob

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:20:07AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 30/06/10 10:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
> >> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
> >>
> > Did you manage to get a test page printed?
> >

> >> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
> >> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
> >>
> > There are some suggestions for things to try in order to find the
> > problem on this page:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing/Debugging#Finding_where_the_problem_lies
> >

> Ok, it looks like changing the printer driver for the Brother HL-2170W
> may have helped? The original driver selected by whatever means was
> pxemono, I changed it arbitrarily to foomatic/hpijs. That seems to make
> the printer work although it still takes ~24 seconds to load data into
> the printer. That may have something to do with NetworkManager? In the
> past I have always turned that off but still have it running on this new
> install.
>
> The HL-2170 now works about the same as the HL-5149. The HL-5140
> probably did not have the problem I complained of.

I find that my HL2070N doesn't (always???) work with the driver that
F13 picks for it. If I tell system-config-printer it's a HL-2060 then
tell it to use foomatic/hl1250 driver I can get it to work, and it works
just fine. I don't remember it taking a looooong time to print. in fact
it's faster than some of the much more expensive HP Laserjets we have
at my office. For certain, complexity of the print job could have a big
affect on printing performance. Some kinds of output can require a LOT
of number crunching by GhostScript and subsequently by the print driver's
rasterizer, then further computation in the printer itself. however, as
I say below, my 2070N is quite fast on pretty much everything.

Not sure what NetworkManager would have to do with performance of
a printer (I"d expect it to work if the wireless devices have found
each other and not, if not, but any particular slowness shouldn't be
related to NM specifically--all it does is find access points and
connect to them).

I've never used a wireless printer, and am a little vague on how
it would in fact work... how does the printer connect to the wireless? do
you have to (somehow) enter the wlan settings into the printer to make
it work? via hard-wired network?

But however you initially set it up, the printer would be connecting to
your wirelss AP, not your fedora computer....

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 30/06/10 12:51, fred smith wrote:

> I find that my HL2070N doesn't (always???) work with the driver that
> F13 picks for it. If I tell system-config-printer it's a HL-2060 then
> tell it to use foomatic/hl1250 driver I can get it to work, and it works
> just fine. I don't remember it taking a looooong time to print. in fact
> it's faster than some of the much more expensive HP Laserjets we have
> at my office. For certain, complexity of the print job could have a big
> affect on printing performance. Some kinds of output can require a LOT
> of number crunching by GhostScript and subsequently by the print driver's
> rasterizer, then further computation in the printer itself. however, as
> I say below, my 2070N is quite fast on pretty much everything.
>
> Not sure what NetworkManager would have to do with performance of
> a printer (I"d expect it to work if the wireless devices have found
> each other and not, if not, but any particular slowness shouldn't be
> related to NM specifically--all it does is find access points and
> connect to them).

I'm not certain that NetworkManager is causing any problems either and
did not expect it to but it's the only difference I can think of between
the system today and last week running F-12 when it worked differently
without NM enabled.
> I've never used a wireless printer, and am a little vague on how
> it would in fact work... how does the printer connect to the wireless? do
> you have to (somehow) enter the wlan settings into the printer to make
> it work? via hard-wired network?

All three printers, hp6840, HL-5140, and HL-2170 have addresses like
192.162.1.3 and are configured as such in CUPS. Any computer on our home
LAN can use them and most printing is done via them although there are
others around, mine always have paper and toner and work, except I keep
putting off buying ink cart's for the HP. We rarely need color so the
Lasers are sufficient, do good text. The 5140 works via a D-Link printer
server device purchased as new/surplus for a few dollars from a local
school, the other two have the radio stuff built in.
> But however you initially set it up, the printer would be connecting to
> your wirelss AP, not your fedora computer....

Generally true, but in this case the HL-5140/Dlink device and three
computers all connect to a wired Ethernet switch which connects to a
wireless ethernet bridge in order to eliminate the need for various
device drivers that are required with the usual wireless adapter boards
that plug into the mother board. The Ethernet bridges can be configured
with a browser once and then used wherever needed in the system,
effectively becoming just another Ethernet port, very convenient. I have
one in another building 50 yards away. It only has a camera connected
but could have computers connected to it too, has additional Eth. ports.
Yesterday my grandson wanted to update his video game on-line, I gave
him one of the bridges and he was able to connect by simply plugging
into it with an Eth. cable.

That's probably more than you wanted to know ...

Bob

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have been struggling with an attempt to print a crossword
> puzzle for about an hour now.
>
> I click on print and 20 seconds later the printer activity lamp
> begins to blink, 40 seconds later it produces a copy. And that
> is an improvement, up until a few minutes ago it simply refused
> to print at all!
>
> Everything happens in slow motion.
>
> In desperation I booted as root in order to get cups to allow me
> to do anything, I have never booted this computer as root
> before, doing anything in cups is also very slow.
>
> All of this worked before in F-12. The printers are network
> printers on our LAN.
>
> Another F-12 computer next to this one works normally. I just
> switched that computer on and once booted I was able to print 2
> copies each of 2 pages in a minutes time so the rest of the
> system is working normally. The problem is peculiar to the F-13
> computer.
>
> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
>
> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
>
> Am I the only one with this problem? Suggestions welcome?
>
> Bob
>
> .
> --

Sincee these are netwotk priinters it seems the problem is probablhy
associated with network connectivity. Can you telnet to the printer at
port 631? I assume yoouu set up the printing on the teo printers
separately or is a print server involved. Trting too delete the pprinter
froom the F13 machine and reconfiguuring it would be worth tryiing. Is
other printiing from the F13 machine proceeding nnormally or is it also
slow?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 12:51 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> I've never used a wireless printer, and am a little vague on how
> it would in fact work... how does the printer connect to the wireless?
> do
> you have to (somehow) enter the wlan settings into the printer to make
> it work? via hard-wired network?
>
> But however you initially set it up, the printer would be connecting
> your wirelss AP, not your fedora computer....
I assume the printers are accessed through some kind oof print server
and the server would communicate with the machine not the AP. That is
how it works on my LAN.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 30/06/10 17:48, Aaron Konstam wrote:

Since these are network printers it seems the problem is probably
associated with network connectivity. Can you telnet to the printer at
port 631? I assume you set up the printing on the two printers
separately or is a print server involved? Trying to delete the printer
from the F13 machine and reconfiguring it would be worth trying. Is
other printing from the F13 machine proceeding normally or is it also
slow?

.................................................. .....................

I think my problem was due to the printer driver for the HL-2170 selected during the install. Changing the driver seems to have improved things. I will know more tomorrow morning when I print more crossword puzzles.

There is no one computer serving as a printer server. Each of the three printers stands alone on the network with it's own wireless Ethernet connection. My computers run Linux and are configured via cups individually to print to those addresses. The other computers on the LAN are all Apple Macs and each of them is configured to work on the printers by addressing which ever one they want to use.

There is a confusion factor however that I have only understood after looking at this stuff carefully today. Both the CUPS and the system-config-printer screens show the printers configured on my computers and the Macs. If when printing from Firefox I bring up a printer screen I have to be careful to select the HL-2170 printer for this address and not one for one of the Macs otherwise I get nothing and the system locks up until I kill the process. With F-12, Firefox would only print to the default printer which could be either the 2170 or the 5140, I had different settings on the two Fedora computers I normally print from.

And I just printed 11 pages of a pdf manual for a Netgear WNDR3300 router on the HL-2170 printer and that went normally.

So far it appears the problem was a poor driver selection.

Internet connection is intermittent here tonight due to the weather in Laredo, Texas where our satellite path terminates. I can't send at the present time.

Bob

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 19:47 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Both the CUPS and the system-config-printer screens show the printers
> configured on my computers and the Macs.

You might want to try stopping your computers from sharing out the
printers, that they find, to other computers on the network. With CUPS
that's relatively easy, but I have no idea about the options you have
with the Macs.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Jim

On 07/01/2010 12:44 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 19:47 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Both the CUPS and the system-config-printer screens show the printers
>> configured on my computers and the Macs.
>>
> You might want to try stopping your computers from sharing out the
> printers, that they find, to other computers on the network. With CUPS
> that's relatively easy, but I have no idea about the options you have
> with the Macs.

I have setup a Network laser printer, and all computers on local network
use it.
Didn't have any luck at setting up on port 631

Device URI: lpd://192.168.1.103/PASSTHRU