Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Getting on Internet with 13

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 18:50 -0500, John Clark wrote:
> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
> can't stand Debian Linux.

Configure NetworkManager to manage your interface. Some Gnome apps ask
NM if the net is connected and believe what it says, even if it's not
actually managing the interface.

poc

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Jerry Feldman

On 06/29/2010 07:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
> can't stand Debian Linux.

Assuming you have a router and that Ubuntu works fine through the router:
from a gnome terminal try:
netstat -nr.
Make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) is pointing at the correct
interface (eg eth0).
Check your name servers (cat /etc/resolv.conf).
Since you can ping, you should be ok, but sometimes these steps will
show you what the problem is.
Make sure your browser is not trying to connect through a proxy server.

Minor misconfigurations can cause some interesting problems (such as my
Thunderbird issues and I should have known better).

Again, use telnet (as said previously) to make sure your firewall is not
blocking outbound ports 80 or 25.

[gaf@rosetta ~]$ telnet www.google.com 80
Trying 72.14.204.99...
Connected to www.google.com (72.14.204.99).
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Jim

On 06/30/2010 03:35 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 07:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
>> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
>> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
>> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
>> can't stand Debian Linux.
>>

> Assuming you have a router and that Ubuntu works fine through the router:
> from a gnome terminal try:
> netstat -nr.
> Make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) is pointing at the correct
> interface (eg eth0).
> Check your name servers (cat /etc/resolv.conf).
> Since you can ping, you should be ok, but sometimes these steps will
> show you what the problem is.
> Make sure your browser is not trying to connect through a proxy server.
>
> Minor misconfigurations can cause some interesting problems (such as my
> Thunderbird issues and I should have known better).
>
> Again, use telnet (as said previously) to make sure your firewall is not
> blocking outbound ports 80 or 25.
>
> [gaf@rosetta ~]$ telnet www.google.com 80
> Trying 72.14.204.99...
> Connected to www.google.com (72.14.204.99).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.

If you can see a Network Connect Icon, put your mouse on it, what does
it say ?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
John Clark

On 6/30/2010 2:35 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 07:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
>> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
>> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
>> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
>> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
>> can't stand Debian Linux.
>>
> Assuming you have a router and that Ubuntu works fine through the router:
> from a gnome terminal try:
> netstat -nr.
> Make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) is pointing at the correct
> interface (eg eth0).
> Check your name servers (cat /etc/resolv.conf).
> Since you can ping, you should be ok, but sometimes these steps will
> show you what the problem is.
> Make sure your browser is not trying to connect through a proxy server.
>
> Minor misconfigurations can cause some interesting problems (such as my
> Thunderbird issues and I should have known better).
>
> Again, use telnet (as said previously) to make sure your firewall is not
> blocking outbound ports 80 or 25.
>
> [gaf@rosetta ~]$ telnet www.google.com 80
> Trying 72.14.204.99...
> Connected to www.google.com (72.14.204.99).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.

I cannot telnet out,
'cat /etc/resolv.conf' yields

nameserver 192.168.1.254
#Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home

and 'netstat -nr' yields

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS
Window Irtt Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0
0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.068.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0
0 0 eth0

also, the upgrades work too.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Jerry Feldman

On 06/30/2010 11:08 PM, John Clark wrote:
> On 6/30/2010 2:35 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
>> On 06/29/2010 07:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
>>> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
>>> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
>>> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
>>> can't stand Debian Linux.
>>>

>> Assuming you have a router and that Ubuntu works fine through the router:
>> from a gnome terminal try:
>> netstat -nr.
>> Make sure the default route (0.0.0.0) is pointing at the correct
>> interface (eg eth0).
>> Check your name servers (cat /etc/resolv.conf).
>> Since you can ping, you should be ok, but sometimes these steps will
>> show you what the problem is.
>> Make sure your browser is not trying to connect through a proxy server.
>>
>> Minor misconfigurations can cause some interesting problems (such as my
>> Thunderbird issues and I should have known better).
>>
>> Again, use telnet (as said previously) to make sure your firewall is not
>> blocking outbound ports 80 or 25.
>>
>> [gaf@rosetta ~]$ telnet www.google.com 80
>> Trying 72.14.204.99...
>> Connected to www.google.com (72.14.204.99).
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> ^]
>> telnet> quit
>> Connection closed.
>>

> I cannot telnet out,
> 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' yields
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.254
> #Generated by NetworkManager
> domain home
> search home
>
> and 'netstat -nr' yields
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS
> Window Irtt Iface
> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0
> 0 0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0 192.068.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0
> 0 0 eth0
>
> also, the upgrades work too.

I assume 192.068.0.1 should be 192.168.0.1

For 1, your name server is set up to point to your LAN, possibly your
router. I would suggest manually adding a valid public name server:
For instance:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 192.168.1.254
#Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home

Then ping some site on the Internet, such as www.blu.org.
Then try the telnet exactly like this:
telnet www.google.com 80
Then copy the lines and paste it to the email.
Additionally, try disabling both selinux and iptables. It is possible
that these are blocking outbound port 80.