Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
John Clark

Default Getting on Internet with 13

I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
can't stand Debian Linux.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
jack craig

On 06/29/2010 04:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
> can't stand Debian Linux.

when you installed, did you enable firewall? if so, check there to start...

can you

$ telnet www.google.com 80

if you get a connect, outbound is ok...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 AM
John Clark

On 6/29/2010 6:54 PM, jack craig wrote:

> On 06/29/2010 04:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
>> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
>> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
>> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
>> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
>> can't stand Debian Linux.
>>
> when you installed, did you enable firewall? if so, check there to start...
>
> can you
>
> $ telnet www.google.com 80
>
> if you get a connect, outbound is ok...

No to the telnet and I disabled the firewall and still had no success.
Also IPV6 is disabled.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Norman Gaywood

> > On 06/29/2010 04:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
> >> I can't seem to get my browser/email to connect to Internet. In
> >> terminal I can ping www.google.com to my hearts content but I can't
> >> connect to it with Firefox. I have no hair to pull out and I don't want
> >> to pull scalp. BTW, Ubuntu gets on just fine, out of the box, but I
> >> can't stand Debian Linux.

Has your browser got "File->Work Offline" checked?

--
Norman Gaywood, Computer Systems Officer
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

ngaywood@une.edu.au Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 3337
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm Fax: +61 (0)2 6773 3312