Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Joel Rees

Default fool-ishness ( Top posting)

Mail User Agents are notoriously bad at the automatic quoting game
(partly because different mail browsers implement quoting
differently, partly because the 800 pound gorilla who joined the
internet game late has never understood it, partly because context
always has more effect than we expect, etc.).

In an ideal world, people would know why and how the tools they use
should be used in certain ways when and where, and they would use
their tools accordingly, and we would never need to question what
their intent was.

In an ideal world, we would all use the same common language fluently.

I don't particularly want to live in that ideal world. (Not yet,
anyway. Want to get a little better at solving problems before I go
there.)

Joel Rees

Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Ed Greshko

On 06/30/2010 07:10 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> In an ideal world, people would know why and how the tools they use
> should be used in certain ways when and where, and they would use
> their tools accordingly, and we would never need to question what
> their intent was.

That's why we have Vise-Grip® and duct tape. :-)

--
All of the animals except man know that the principal business of life
is to enjoy it. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Joel Rees wrote:

> Mail User Agents are notoriously bad at the automatic quoting game
> (partly because different mail browsers implement quoting

It's what one does after the automatic quoting that counts.
I wouldn't expect a MUA to trim boilerplate for me.
I do that myself.

> differently, partly because the 800 pound gorilla who joined the
> internet game late has never understood it, partly because context
> always has more effect than we expect, etc.).

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"You like to be on top. Got it." -- Clark Kent to Lois Lane