Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Jack Lauman

Default Fedora 12 not releasing ports

I have Fedora 12 and Tomcat 6.0.28 running a CRM application called DeskNow.

When I start tomcat I get an error the port 110 is in use. Dovecot is
not enabled, netstat doesn't show port 110 in use.

If I run "portrelease" on ports POP3, SMTP & 3306 manually prior Tomcat
startup and DeskNow runs normally.

Is there a way to open these three ports without manually running
"portrelease"? I need to have Tomcat & DeskNow start automatically.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 08:34 -0700, Jack Lauman wrote:
> When I start tomcat I get an error the port 110 is in use. Dovecot is
> not enabled, netstat doesn't show port 110 in use.

Perhaps something not sensibly handling you having IPv4 and IPv4
networking?

What options did you try with netstat to check?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Doron Bar Zeev

When I start tomcat I get an error the port 110 is in use. Dovecot is

not enabled, netstat doesn't show port 110 in use.

If I run "portrelease" on ports POP3, SMTP & 3306 manually prior *Tomcat

startup and DeskNow runs normally.

Is there a way to open these three ports without manually running

"portrelease"? I need to have Tomcat & DeskNow start automatically.

check man portreserve
It's a service that can be disabled with chkconfig

Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Jack Lauman

netstat -noa
netstat -tap

Nothing is using ports 110 or 25.

All other IP4 services work fine, ie. SSH, SFTP, telnet, etc.

If I launch Dovecot manually the server will listen on port 110.

The only way tomcat and desknow will launch successfully is if I issue
the following commands before starting the tomcat service:

portrelease pop3
portrelease smtp
portrelease mysql

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this. It worked just fine on
previous versions of Fedora.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Jack Lauman

Tried that... doesn't make any difference whatsoever. If I use
portreleast pop3 manually the port will release and the tomcat
application can start.

Jack

Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Doron Bar Zeev

Tried that... doesn't make any difference whatsoever. If I use

portreleast pop3 manually the port will release and the tomcat

application can start.

did you try service portreserve stop ?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Jack Lauman

Yes.. and chkconfig portreserve off

Upon rebooting the server ports 110 and 25 are not seen by netstat but
are seen by the tomcat application and the app aborts stating that the
ports are in use.

They only way I can get the app to load to to "manually" run portrelease
regardless of whether the portreserve daemon is running or not.

Jack

Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Jack Lauman

I removed the portreserve rpm and it works fine now.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Doron Bar Zeev

Upon rebooting the server ports 110 and 25 are not seen by netstat but

are seen by the tomcat application and the app aborts stating that the

ports are in use.

They only way I can get the app to load to to "manually" run portrelease

regardless of whether the portreserve daemon is running or not.

Try running sudo lsof | grep "TCP" or the same for udp* and see if it report something about smtp/pop.
If it is not I think others may help you more than me.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:48:13 -0700
Jack Lauman wrote:

> Upon rebooting the server ports 110 and 25 are not seen by netstat but
> are seen by the tomcat application and the app aborts stating that the
> ports are in use.

That sounds to me like tomcat is allocating the port twice and failing
on the 2nd try?