Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Frank Cox

Default Save video stream?

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 10:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
> provided with F-13?

wget?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Mike Wright

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have some video cameras, so called internet cameras actually. I
> have one looking out at a horse pasture and would like to be able to
> save a video clip.
>
> Google brings up schemes for saving YouTube, etc., videos from /tmp
> but I don't see any such files being created by these cameras.
>
> I simply address them with a browser at 192.168.1.52 for instance,
> actually using the command/URL http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg, usually
> with Opera because it seems to work "better" but Firefox does
> provide a usable image too.
>
> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
> provided with F-13?

Hi Bob,

vlc may do the trick. It can stream to/from files, cd/dvd, network, and
capture devices.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Bob Goodwin

Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Rick Stevens

On 06/29/2010 09:08 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 29/06/10 11:31, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 10:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
>>> provided with F-13?
>>>

>> wget?
>>

>> Ok, that looks like it might work. I did:
>>
>> [bobg@box9 ~]$ wget http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg --user=admin
>> --password=1234
>>

>> --2010-06-29 11:42:26-- http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg
>> Resolving cam2... 192.168.1.52
>> Connecting to cam2|192.168.1.52|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
>> Connecting to cam2|192.168.1.52|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>> Length: unspecified [multipart/x-mixed-replace]
>> Saving to: “video.mjpg”
>>
>> [<=> ] 271,324 12.9K/s ^C
>>
>> And stopped it with "CTRL C" but Firefox will not display the
>> resulting "video.mjpg" file. Perhaps the ctrl-c is not the right
>> way to end it? It protests that it's a .bin file and offers to
>> save it.
>>
>> I would try VLC but yum says it's not available ...

vlc is available from rpmfusion via yum. Try "yum list vlc*":

[root@bigdog ~]# yum list vlc*
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
rpmfusion-free-updates | 2.8 kB
00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 2.8 kB
00:00
updates/metalink | 13 kB
00:00
updates | 4.5 kB
00:00
Installed Packages
vlc.x86_64 1.0.6-1.fc13 @rpmfusion-free
vlc-core.x86_64 1.0.6-1.fc13 @rpmfusion-free

The URL you used is typical of a camera that gives you an MPEG via web
access (D-Link cameras use this a lot). There's a web server built
into the camera that gives you that, but there's usually a method to
access the live stream as well. Look at the camera's docs.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/06/10 13:21, Rick Stevens wrote:

> vlc is available from rpmfusion via yum. Try "yum list vlc*":
>
> [root@bigdog ~]# yum list vlc*
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> rpmfusion-free-updates | 2.8 kB
> 00:00
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 2.8 kB
> 00:00
> updates/metalink | 13 kB
> 00:00
> updates | 4.5 kB
> 00:00
> Installed Packages
> vlc.x86_64 1.0.6-1.fc13 @rpmfusion-free
> vlc-core.x86_64 1.0.6-1.fc13 @rpmfusion-free

I had to use the instructions at "http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration" to
activate the repo and then installed VLC.

However VLC will not run the video.mjpg file. That will take some more
investigation.
> The URL you used is typical of a camera that gives you an MPEG via web
> access (D-Link cameras use this a lot). There's a web server built
> into the camera that gives you that, but there's usually a method to
> access the live stream as well. Look at the camera's docs.

Newegg had these cameras on sale a while back, inexpensive "wireless
internet cameras" marked Zonet. I would not recommend them to anyone.
The one looking at the pasture out back is in the attic of another
building and it became intermittent in March as the weather began to
warm. It turned out it was overheating in an ambient a little above 80
F. It had no ventilation in the plastic case, it was effectively an oven
and with the sun shining on it it kept failing, radio signal and all
would go out and would not come back up until power was recycled, the
ultimate in inconvenience for me. Zonet's suggestion was try and return
it to Newegg!

I eventually drilled vent holes in the case and added a tiny [45 mm
12vdc] fan. We have had record heat this week in Virginia, 102, and it
has not missed a beat! I suspect that it would have worked well enough
most of the time if it only had some ventilation as it came from the
factory. Anyway that was an interesting exercise. The camera was spec'd
to work to 45C in the Newegg data.

And yes it is configured from the browser much like many other things.
That part works well and I can run it at a low frame rate to preserve
bandwidth on our LAN, etc.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bob

Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 PM
echapin

> I have some video cameras, so called internet cameras actually. I
> have one looking out at a horse pasture and would like to be able to
> save a video clip.
>
> Google brings up schemes for saving YouTube, etc., videos from /tmp
> but I don't see any such files being created by these cameras.
>
> I simply address them with a browser at 192.168.1.52 for instance,
> actually using the command/URL http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg, usually
> with Opera because it seems to work "better" but Firefox does
> provide a usable image too.
>
> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
> provided with F-13?
>
> Bob
>
> --

I use dwhelper/downloadhelper with FireFox on F12

Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
echapin

> I have some video cameras, so called internet cameras actually. I
> have one looking out at a horse pasture and would like to be able to
> save a video clip.
>
> Google brings up schemes for saving YouTube, etc., videos from /tmp
> but I don't see any such files being created by these cameras.
>
> I simply address them with a browser at 192.168.1.52 for instance,
> actually using the command/URL http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg, usually
> with Opera because it seems to work "better" but Firefox does
> provide a usable image too.
>
> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
> provided with F-13?
>
> Bob
>
> --

P.S. Sorry if my reply was not relevant; what I forgot to mention was that dwhelper is a FireFox plugin.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/06/10 16:22, echapin wrote:
> [...]

It may well be relevant since I can display the camera video on Firefox!

I've downloaded/installed "downloadhelper" but it's use is not
obvious to me? It is added in next to the URL window but when I
click on that it just offers me a million different video sites?

If I display a video stream coming from a camera how do I start it
saving and where is it saving it? How do I use it. I haven't found
anything except "hype" so far!

Bob

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Elliott Chapin

On 06/29/2010 04:41 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 29/06/10 16:22, echapin wrote:

I was confused at first as well - going to their website helped. At
least in the case of something online: once a media file is coming in,
the little icon on the upper task bar goes colour and starts to spin;
then hit the litte arrow to its right... The file will be saved in full
to the dwhelper directory. Hopefully this will work - considering you
can at least display the videos.
--
Elliott Chapin
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have some video cameras, so called internet cameras actually. I
> have one looking out at a horse pasture and would like to be able to
> save a video clip.
>
> Google brings up schemes for saving YouTube, etc., videos from /tmp
> but I don't see any such files being created by these cameras.
>
> I simply address them with a browser at 192.168.1.52 for instance,
> actually using the command/URL http://cam2/mjpg/video.mjpg, usually
> with Opera because it seems to work "better" but Firefox does
> provide a usable image too.
>
> How can I save a short clip to a file, preferably using software
> provided with F-13?

I suspect ffmpeg will let you save it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>